Honor 5X vs Zenfone 2

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: 5x vs Zenfone 2

I was going to discuss this some time later in more detail as well, since I also have both--but the comparison I make isn't entirely fair, since I have the $299 Zenfone 2, not the $199 version (so it has a better processor and more RAM/internal storage). I can say for certain that the Zenfone 2's camera is way ahead of the Honor 5X's. And oddly enough, the 5X seems to sync slowly with Google services (like Gmail, Calendar, Hangouts, etc.), while the Zenfone 2 syncs immediately (as it should).

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

I've noticed the sync delays. I wonder if it's at all related to the somewhat contentious relationship with Google and China... Aren't most Android phones sold in China done so without Google Play Services? Perhaps they are just used to limiting the services out of inexperience... Here, we assume instant syncing.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Android in China runs a aosp or a modified version thereof, with no Google Apps.

In a sense it is good for some of those complaining that they want an Android phone but without Google services.

There are however rumors that Google is working to get Google Apps back into China. Not sure the status of that though.

honordevice

Official Honor Account
Dec 30, 2015
Visit site

Any sync delays could be caused by the Smart power saving mode. It will turn off background data when the device is sleeping to conserve power. Go to the Phone Manager app to toggle these settings.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I thought of that, but I changed the power mode to Normal as soon as I set up the phone. All Google apps are also Protected, so they're not being closed by the system when the screen sleeps.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

I thought of that, but I changed the power mode to Normal as soon as I set up the phone. All Google apps are also Protected, so they're not being closed by the system when the screen sleeps.

I've noticed that even protected, the OS a still pretty heavy handed with RAM management. Which is by design I guess. Huawei's thing is battery endurance.

abhishekarora9110

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site

Do you guys see this sync delay with other apps as well? Or is it just the Google apps?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

That's a good question--I don't have much else installed that would act the same way. When I had the Facebook app installed, that updated promptly. I have Yahoo Sports installed, but I've noticed general sync problems with that app on other devices, so that's probably not a good test. I'll keep an eye out for that.

abhishekarora9110

Jul 4, 2015
Visit site

That's a good question--I don't have much else installed that would act the same way. When I had the Facebook app installed, that updated promptly. I have Yahoo Sports installed, but I've noticed general sync problems with that app on other devices, so that's probably not a good test. I'll keep an eye out for that.

Let us know what you find, thanks.