What doesn't work in Honor 8/EMUI?

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
There are lots of threads that talks about the good things but I wanted to start a thread that captures features that doesn't work with Honor 8. Idea is not to thrash but have a gentle discussion around areas we all find problems with. Maybe we could send this to Honor as well.

Let me start the list:

TMobile VoLTE does not work with Honor 8
You can't call other TMobile phones if you have VoLTE calls enabled in your Honor 8. I have heard very few say they can, but it doesn't work for many others too.

Google Voice does not integrate with Native EMUI Dialer
This seems to be widespread with devices using EMUI - Huawei and Honor. When you have set up the dialer to route calls to Google Voice, you get an error saying "Call not sent". Workaround is that you will have to open the Google Voice app and dial the number you wish. This is a real pain, as I always have the international numbers router through Google Voice.

Cannot set an encryption password
Encryption is enabled, as it is now for any android device since Android 6.0, but Honor 8 does not allow you to set up a boot password to further protect your device.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I think it's good to have these kinds of discussions. Every product can be improved, and no mobile device can ever be perfect - so having constructive conversations like this is good for the manufacturers and for owners of the device. I love my Honor 8 but for sure, there are areas of improvement for it as well as every other device out there!

I find that I am receiving a lot more "power consumption" alerts with EMUI 5.0, which is odd, because even when I have my WiFi/data connections turned off, I still get these alerts. I guess they could still be running in the background regardless, but I had the same usage patterns with 4.1 and got way less notifications.

Also, Google assistant woke up today on my phone while it was charging. I was making pancakes and talking to my cat (or to myself - I'm not afraid to say that ;)); and suddenly, "I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're saying" or whatever answered me! I thought I had Netflix on or something LOOL.

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Is Google assistant on the honor 8 now? Wonder if it will have the same issues with the stock dialler as Google voice did.

MSFTisMIA

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
There are lots of threads that talks about the good things but I wanted to start a thread that captures features that doesn't work with Honor 8. Idea is not to thrash but have a gentle discussion around areas we all find problems with. Maybe we could send this to Honor as well.

Let me start the list:

TMobile VoLTE does not work with Honor 8
You can't call other TMobile phones if you have VoLTE calls enabled in your Honor 8. I have heard very few say they can, but it doesn't work for many others too.

Google Voice does not integrate with Native EMUI Dialer
This seems to be widespread with devices using EMUI - Huawei and Honor. When you have set up the dialer to route calls to Google Voice, you get an error saying "Call not sent". Workaround is that you will have to open the Google Voice app and dial the number you wish. This is a real pain, as I always have the international numbers router through Google Voice.

Cannot set an encryption password
Encryption is enabled, as it is now for any android device since Android 6.0, but Honor 8 does not allow you to set up a boot password to further protect your device.
OP, I've got to check the VOLTE thing out, as I'm on T-Mobile and calls seem fine...i had a stretch with my Robin (also VOLTE capable) ran fine with it...

MSFTisMIA

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
What i have noticed is that when my headphones are plugged in and I'm playing music, once a call comes in the phone doesn't ring...it automatically answers the call. This is annoying the F out of me and I'm trying to figure it out.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
OP, I've got to check the VOLTE thing out, as I'm on T-Mobile and calls seem fine...i had a stretch with my Robin (also VOLTE capable) ran fine with it...

It seems to be flaky. It works for some and it doesn't for some. I am also part of the TMobile Digits beta which could have caused this. TMobile said they are investigating and I have not heard anything back yet.

MSFTisMIA

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
What i have noticed is that when my headphones are plugged in and I'm playing music, once a call comes in the phone doesn't ring...it automatically answers the call. This is annoying the F out of me and I'm trying to figure it out.
This is still happening. I may try a factory reset to see if that helps. If not, I'll sell the Honor 8.