I've sold my S8! What's the best deal I can get on an honor 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah my thought is that the honor 8 won't see oreo most likely. I could be wrong but the 8 has already out lived most other Android devices and is still going strong. I think if it gets Oreo then we won't see the honor 9 here in the US at all. With the potential of the 9 I think Oreo won't hit the 8. Like I said I could off the mark but it's just a gut feeling with what I know about Huawei Honor from being such a fan of them. I read a lot of articles on them. I love that they have went on record stating that they will indeed the number one mobile phone company in the world in a few years. I truly believe it too. I mean just take the honor 8 alone. It's their version of a budget device and simply put there is nothing about the honor 8 that is budget really. It does everything at a flagship level but yet you can get for under 300 bucks. That's why they will be number one as they have said. Plus they innovate. That's important too. As long as they don't come to the USA and all the sudden raise their honor prices to become greedy then they will definitely become number one easily. I have no clue why EMUI receives such a bad wrap from some people. What's not to like about it. We all know apple IOS is by far the smoothest interface on the planet. So what if EMUI is a little bit like IOS. To me EMUI is nothing like Android and it's not IOS either. It's in its own league and could easily be branded as a third major software choice within the mobile industry. It's unique and different but it's butter smooth like IOS. How could anyone not like that. Stock Android is just plain choppy and sticky. I'm sorry but it is and EMUI is not. So I guess you can call it a hybrid but Huawei did an awesome job with it's interface. You simply won't find anything remotely like it. So I'm not sure why some people dislike it so much. I think it's a bandwagon thing and they really do like it but have to say they don't bc they are an Android purist. Anyways I've sat here and basically talked myself back into wanting another honor 8 like really badly now lol. I get carried away when it comes to the honor 8. It's such a strong and well developed device for the money. I do know that there is not a better device on the market that even comes close to the honor 8 in terms of price point. It's so close to a flagship that one could not really even tell the difference and if they didn't know better would easily pay 500 for it. To be able to pick one up at 275 is amazing to me. I miss mine but I'm afraid I'm stuck with the Axon 7 Mini due to being such a long wait if I returned it then bought the honor and wait even longer for it to come in. What I think I'll do is keep my Axon since it's going to run 7.1.1 and then next month pick up an honor 8 to use some in rotation as I do like the Axon. It's a really premium build for 194 dollars. It's no different than the regular axon 7 in terms of build quality plus you add the Atmos Dolby surround sound speakers it has which are amazing alone by itself and to get it for under 200 is a steal. I wished it had a 625 processor compared to the 617 but it's not that big of a difference. It's still pretty zippy and the screen resolution I'd say has a slight edge over the honor 8 as its AMOLED. Color saturations are very good on the axon mini. They both have 5.2 inch screens. So all in all I'm not unhappy with it but I do prefer the honor and EMUI in the end.

So glad you are still liking the Axon Mini! It's a nice phone and I remember being swayed to buy the Axon 7 last December too!

With regards to EMUI, I agree with you. I really love the experience. There isn't anything that I actually dislike enough to switch to a launcher, for example. I even thought the first initial upgrade (to 4.1?) was good too! I remember thinking, "I wish my lockscreen looked like X;" and then with the update, it suddenly was! Haha.

I think people sometimes get afraid or anxious about differences - or changes to things. So if something is suddenly different from what they're used to, it makes them nervous.

Yes, the Honor 8 is definitely one of the greatest bangs for your buck out there. It certainly does have flagship-level specs and potential. People pick up my phone and have no clue what it is - which I also like. At work, most of my co-workers have iPhones, and they marvelled that 1) it had a fingerprint scanner and 2) that it was at the back of the phone.

I hope Honor does well and that their brand goes far. It's a great brand and I'm really happy I gave it a shot. Plus even though I want to upgrade in the next half year or so I refuse, because I can't give it up lool.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah my thought is that the honor 8 won't see oreo most likely. I could be wrong but the 8 has already out lived most other Android devices and is still going strong. I think if it gets Oreo then we won't see the honor 9 here in the US at all. With the potential of the 9 I think Oreo won't hit the 8. Like I said I could off the mark but it's just a gut feeling with what I know about Huawei Honor from being such a fan of them. I read a lot of articles on them. I love that they have went on record stating that they will indeed the number one mobile phone company in the world in a few years. I truly believe it too. I mean just take the honor 8 alone. It's their version of a budget device and simply put there is nothing about the honor 8 that is budget really. It does everything at a flagship level but yet you can get for under 300 bucks. That's why they will be number one as they have said. Plus they innovate. That's important too. As long as they don't come to the USA and all the sudden raise their honor prices to become greedy then they will definitely become number one easily. I have no clue why EMUI receives such a bad wrap from some people. What's not to like about it. We all know apple IOS is by far the smoothest interface on the planet. So what if EMUI is a little bit like IOS. To me EMUI is nothing like Android and it's not IOS either. It's in its own league and could easily be branded as a third major software choice within the mobile industry. It's unique and different but it's butter smooth like IOS. How could anyone not like that. Stock Android is just plain choppy and sticky. I'm sorry but it is and EMUI is not. So I guess you can call it a hybrid but Huawei did an awesome job with it's interface. You simply won't find anything remotely like it. So I'm not sure why some people dislike it so much. I think it's a bandwagon thing and they really do like it but have to say they don't bc they are an Android purist. Anyways I've sat here and basically talked myself back into wanting another honor 8 like really badly now lol. I get carried away when it comes to the honor 8. It's such a strong and well developed device for the money. I do know that there is not a better device on the market that even comes close to the honor 8 in terms of price point. It's so close to a flagship that one could not really even tell the difference and if they didn't know better would easily pay 500 for it. To be able to pick one up at 275 is amazing to me. I miss mine but I'm afraid I'm stuck with the Axon 7 Mini due to being such a long wait if I returned it then bought the honor and wait even longer for it to come in. What I think I'll do is keep my Axon since it's going to run 7.1.1 and then next month pick up an honor 8 to use some in rotation as I do like the Axon. It's a really premium build for 194 dollars. It's no different than the regular axon 7 in terms of build quality plus you add the Atmos Dolby surround sound speakers it has which are amazing alone by itself and to get it for under 200 is a steal. I wished it had a 625 processor compared to the 617 but it's not that big of a difference. It's still pretty zippy and the screen resolution I'd say has a slight edge over the honor 8 as its AMOLED. Color saturations are very good on the axon mini. They both have 5.2 inch screens. So all in all I'm not unhappy with it but I do prefer the honor and EMUI in the end.

It makes sense to pay a little more for the honor 8 and be happy, so long as you can afford it.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I couldn't agree more!
You guys are right. I may do that. Then be done with it. The honor 8 is by far my favorite Android phone to date. I rank the Nexus 6p right up there but of course who made that phone, Huawei. There was a reason that phone was butter smooth even though still using Android which EMUI is not at all.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I haven't seen any sales since you started this thread but since you are interested in the honor 8 again then I will post deals when I see it

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
You guys are right. I may do that. Then be done with it. The honor 8 is by far my favorite Android phone to date. I rank the Nexus 6p right up there but of course who made that phone, Huawei. There was a reason that phone was butter smooth even though still using Android which EMUI is not at all.

Wow, I too loved the Nexus 6P and never thought of that... Lool. You're right! :)

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Wow, I too loved the Nexus 6P and never thought of that... Lool. You're right! :)
Yeah I loved the Nexus 6p when I had one. It's the phone that l use as a measuring stick against other phone when I buy them still to date. That was one awesome phone that Google pixel as now ruined. The Nexus 6p is no different than the Pixel XL which the Pixel XL is just tweaked some. They are basically the same phone and I would go as far to say that the 6p is a better device all the way around. Plus it was half the cost of a pixel. That's exactly what happens when a company gets greedy like Google. All they did is produce the Nexus 6p tweaked it a little and put Google on it and now charge 850 where you could buy the 6p at what, 450 or so. That is one phone that I wish I still had and I regret selling it now. It's still one of the best devices on the current market even today. Huawei produced it so it was of very high quality and the software interface was so smooth even though it ran stock Android compared to EMUI which is 100 times more smooth than stock Android is. I only sold mine bc I wanted something smaller at the time and if I'm not mistaken, I sold it to buy the honor 8 at that time. Man I still wish I had that one. It was awesome.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I loved the Nexus 6p when I had one. It's the phone that l use as a measuring stick against other phone when I buy them still to date. That was one awesome phone that Google pixel as now ruined. The Nexus 6p is no different than the Pixel XL which the Pixel XL is just tweaked some. They are basically the same phone and I would go as far to say that the 6p is a better device all the way around. Plus it was half the cost of a pixel. That's exactly what happens when a company gets greedy like Google. All they did is produce the Nexus 6p tweaked it a little and put Google on it and now charge 850 where you could buy the 6p at what, 450 or so. That is one phone that I wish I still had and I regret selling it now. It's still one of the best devices on the current market even today. Huawei produced it so it was of very high quality and the software interface was so smooth even though it ran stock Android compared to EMUI which is 100 times more smooth than stock Android is. I only sold mine bc I wanted something smaller at the time and if I'm not mistaken, I sold it to buy the honor 8 at that time. Man I still wish I had that one. It was awesome.

I know! I can't get on board with the Pixel line, as hard as I try. I liked the 6P and perhaps because that was Huawei-manufactured; but I just don't like the Pixels. I don't like hefty price tag nor their design. Miss the Nexus line so much!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am surprised that you loved the 6p considering that it is 5.7", considering that you thought that 5.2" on the honor 8 was too large and wanted to get the honor 9 because it is smaller at 5.15"

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
I am surprised that you loved the 6p considering that it is 5.7", considering that you thought that 5.2" on the honor 8 was too large and wanted to get the honor 9 because it is smaller at 5.15"
Well honestly I like having one large screen device between 5.5 to 5.7 and one around 5 to 5.2. At the time I only had the Nexus 6p and it was my only device. My larger screen phones are my back ups and I use them mainly for movies and media like YouTube and stuff like that. I can deal with a 5.2 which is what this Axon 7 is and what the honor 8 is but I do like it better when is closer to 5 inches. As far as software interface and performance, the Nexus 6p was absolutely amazing to me. Perhaps becaus Huawei produced it. I'm sure that's why that phone was so utterly smooth for stock Android. So technically a 5.2 could be my smaller screen device and a 5.5 or higher be my larger screen device. I will probably get the Moto Z Play as my larger screen device since I already have some Moto mods left over from having had owned all three of the Z line phones before. I might even search for another Nexus 6p if I can find a 64g for a good deal but I have a pet peeve about when I get a phone that it has to have the original box and contents with it for some reason. If it doesn't come with the original boxes then I won't buy it. Most of the Nexus 6ps I see don't have the box with them. Then there is the mate 9 that I have been wanting ever since it has been released. That's another option for my larger screen phone. If I can locate a Nexus 6p with box and contents it'll be much cheaper than the mate 9 but I also rarely buy a used phone too. I like to buy them new and unbox them. It's like Christmas day as a young kid lol. It's just fun and exciting to get it brand new to me lol.

Joseph Guy1

Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Not sure why you would give up an s8 for the honor 8, but I would go for the ZTE axon 7 I have that as an spare and love it great audio

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Not sure why you would give up an s8 for the honor 8, but I would go for the ZTE axon 7 I have that as an spare and love it great audio
I have the axon 7 mini which has the same premium build as the axon 7 and the same exact atoms dolby surround sound speakers. It's just a 5.2 inch screen instead of 5.5 inches. Of course the internals are different but when I have it in performance mode this phone is quite fast. The build and speakers alone make this phone a steal for under 200 dollars. The honor 8 has a slight edge in performance but the axon 7 mini has a slightly better screen being AMOLED but both are 1080p. This will be my back up when I get my iPhone 7 or if I do get it. If I don't then I'm going to probably pick up another honor 8 or a Moto Z Play. Haven't decided yet. What I'd really like to do is get the mate 9 as I typically keep one smaller screen device and one larger screen device and use the larger for my back up to watch movies on or YouTube and web browsing. The mate 9 is finally on sale now so I wouldn't mind getting one now. I just didn't want to spend 599 on it all this time. Now I've seen it between 450 and 480 so I might get one next month.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Don't spread his lies around haha. Jk
Lol. It's definitely no lie. I do like smaller phone best as my daily driver but ever since I came over to Android I've become to appreciate a larger screen. Just like recently I went back to the iPhone SE and I literally could not handle it anymore. That 4 inch screen was way too small for me now so I sold it pretty quick and I'm a apple guy by heart. I just couldn't deal with that small of a screen anymore after using Android for a year and half now. The iPhone 5s used to be my favorite phone so I thought I'd love the SE. Not the case at all. Now my sweet spot is between 5 inches and 5.2. My larger screen is between 5.5 and 5.7 like the Nexus 6p was. I really enjoyed watching movies and YouTube on that phone. Even a 5.2 inch I don't mind watching a movie on but now I do like larger screens but only as my second device. I like a phone that I can easily use with one hand and put in my pocket as my daily phone. The honor 8 I could do that with still. Anything larger than 5.2 would be out of my what is considered to be my smaller device. That's why I had said I wanted the honor 9 being almost an inch smaller. Still though 5.2 I'm okay with. This axon 7 mini I'm using right now is 5.2 and it's just fine. If I do keep it then next month I'm definitely getting something that's 5.5 or 5.7. I've also been looking at the Asus Zenfone deluxe which is 5.7 inches. I've heard lots of good things about that phone actually or it being a sleeper phone. I think it's 499 or 399. I want the silver model. Another one I've been looking at is the LG G6. It's 5.7 inches too. Then lastly or the large phone I want the most is the Mate 9 which is 5.9 inches which is almost like a small tablet!

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
I like reading about your journey with android, I get to hear about all sorts of phones, despite not understanding why you change so often! Imagine how much money you would have saved if you had just kept your first honor 8. Selling the s8 to go back to midrange phones still doesn't make any sense to me.

Aljean Thein

Nov 16, 2016
Visit site
I like reading about your journey with android, I get to hear about all sorts of phones, despite not understanding why you change so often! Imagine how much money you would have saved if you had just kept your first honor 8. Selling the s8 to go back to midrange phones still doesn't make any sense to me.

It's about th experience of the phone. Although S8 is a flagship, not everyone is into that phone. Either due to being really slim, bad spot for the fps, etc..

I like the front look of the S8, but I love the Honor 8 finger print scanner location.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Financially speaking it doesn't make sense, but for some people, phones are hobbies and trying out new phones are fun. Sure you will lose money but what hobby doesn't?

If he's happy with the Honor 8 and financially he can afford it then I don't see a problem.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

I like reading about his journey too! I love vicariously through these phone enthusiasts! ☺️

laytoncy

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
100% what you said. I like hearing about all these phones as well. Man @Dconn1975 you change phones more than some change uhm anything. Please keep sharing your journey.

I'm with you @Aljean Thein as well. I love the fingerprint scanner on the Honor 8.

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Thanks guys! I appreciate the cool words. Yeah it's become a hobby for me which is why I try and keep it to only budget mid range devices. I decided to keep both of my Axon 7 Mini and am selling one of them and keeping the other. The premium all metal build with the Atmos Dolby surround sound speakers alone make this phone a steal for under $200 dollars. Someone will get an awesome deal from me on the market place for the other new one I have. All I did to it was update it to Nougat 7.1.1 then never had any reason to use it having mine already. If I sell it I'll definitely either pick up an honor 8 or a Moto Z Play. Will be a tough choice as I already have a few Moto mods left over so it makes more sense to get the Moto Z Play. Plus I want one of my phones to have a larger screen. The Moto Z Play is 5.5 inches. I'm not sure yet though. First I have to see if the new Axon 7 sells before I pick up anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non