Who's excited about optical zoom?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I am really excited that the Honor 9 has optical zoom. One of the weak points of the Honor 8 is the depth effect didn't work as well as on the iPhone 7 Plus. Hopefully this will correct that! And all in a phone that costs half as much!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Honor 8 camera was good enough for me and I'll be interested if honor 9 has vastly improved camera.

I don't think we will see a vastly improved camera. I mean...even the iPhone 7 plus and Samsung S8 camera isn't vastly better than the Honor 8, IMO.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I am really excited that the Honor 9 has optical zoom. One of the weak points of the Honor 8 is the depth effect didn't work as well as on the iPhone 7 Plus. Hopefully this will correct that! And all in a phone that costs half as much!

I think optical zoom is a long overdue feature and should be on every decent phone.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I think optical zoom is a long overdue feature and should be on every decent phone.

Before we all jump for joy though...it would also depend on the quality. On the iPhone, the optical zoom produces a significantly worse picture quality than the digital zoom in low light situations.

The cameras would need a way to determine which is best, main lens with digital zoom or optical zoom lens. The iPhone does this pretty well but not sure if others would.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
This is really amazing feature. I've only dreamed about such features about 10 years ago)

Really? Optical zoom has been available on select devices for a few years now. Or are you referring to other features? If so, which ones?

Apple Jam

Jun 27, 2017
Visit site
Really? Optical zoom has been available on select devices for a few years now. Or are you referring to other features? If so, which ones?

Several devices are just several devices. Soon such a feature will become absolutely ordinary and this is amazing.
I only know about Asus Zoom and it seemed to me a very dubious.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Several devices are just several devices. Soon such a feature will become absolutely ordinary and this is amazing.
I only know about Asus Zoom and it seemed to me a very dubious.

That is true. I suspect that we will start seeing it on a lot more phones soon since it was on the iPhone.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
this s8+ takes some dope pictures for sure. I'm not one of these Uber camera nerds. I just want it to take decent pictures. I don't really do compare pictures all that much between phones, it's my least concern when buying a phone.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
this s8+ takes some dope pictures for sure. I'm not one of these Uber camera nerds. I just want it to take decent pictures. I don't really do compare pictures all that much between phones, it's my least concern when buying a phone.

Yeah these days picture quality is pretty good on all flagships. The difference isn't huge between the worst and the best.

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
I don't understand the obsession with profession quality pictures on a device you mostly use for texting. A great software experience should be a bigger concern, but sadly it's really not. I do enjoy when iPhone users ask me to take a group picture because they are better haha. that portrait mode on iPhone is really dope, so far no Android I know has been able to mimick it yet.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I don't understand the obsession with profession quality pictures on a device you mostly use for texting. A great software experience should be a bigger concern, but sadly it's really not. I do enjoy when iPhone users ask me to take a group picture because they are better haha. that portrait mode on iPhone is really dope, so far no Android I know has been able to mimick it yet.

There are Android phones with portrait mode like the honor 8, but for me, the iPhone 7 plus does a better job. Of course the honor 8 is half the price....