We've got the HTC 10 and we're answering your questions right here!

DaveInFL

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Re: We've got the HTC 10 — and we're answering your questions right here!

This is VERY disappointing. Either I am not understanding how battery life should be quantified or its really poor. Claiming 48 hours (and we knew that would not be even close) and only seeing usable 12 hours with SOT of 4? Isn't the S7E getting close to 24 with 4-5 SOT?

I got 30 hours yesterday out of my S7e with about 4.5 SOT. I was not expecting the HTC 10 to get that, but was hoping it would get 20 hours.

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Thanks. That is poor though in this day and age. Would get more on my M8.

I'm pretty sure it can definitely surpass the M8 in battery life, remember everyone's usage, network, number of apps, accounts that are syncing etc factor into battery life. Doesn't have to be the same for everyone.

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

This is VERY disappointing. Either I am not understanding how battery life should be quantified or its really poor. Claiming 48 hours (and we knew that would not be even close) and only seeing usable 12 hours with SOT of 4? Isn't the S7E getting close to 24 with 4-5 SOT?

I was hoping for improved SOT, 4 hours is about the average for 5-5.2 inch devices, and has been for a couple of years now. I'd like to see them start to get to 5, maybe even start inching towards 6....

DaveInFL

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site

Probably 12 hours with mixed moderate/heavy use. 4 hours screen on, give or take.

Like I said, usable. Not spectacular.

I should also ask, how many recharge cycles has it been through?

rejenet

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

Do you have a Verizon SIM to stick in it and see what happens? Is the unlocked phone really not a Global phone?

jmkhenka

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site

Screen on time is by far the worst way to rate battery life. It varries alot by use, anything from 2 hours to 12 is possible all depending on CPU usage.

For instance, gaming will make those SOT-times crap low while reading a ebook will just last ages.

I dont belive the 10 is worse then SGS7 or any other device with batteries ranging from 3-3.500mah. I will not be suprised it it even outlasts the 6P with its 3500 battery, due to the worthless optimization in nexus devices.

Anecdotaly my N5X gets around 25% worse real usage battery life then my M8 with the same size battery.

D13H4RD2L1V3

Retired Moderator
Sep 4, 2013
Visit site

I've got a few questions.

1) One reason why phone cameras these days are so good is how they can snap a great shot really quickly without effort. Judging from AC samples, the 10's camera looks to be very capable. However, I'd like to know how fast it is in use, especially compared to its rival, the GS7.

2) The overall performance of the lightened HTC Sense. Feel any quicker (even miniscule) compared to the M9?

3) Does it feel slippery?

4) How's the sound from the speakers like for general use?

5) HTC is bragging about its fingerprint sensor being able to unlock the phone in as low as 0.2 seconds. Is that largely the case here?

Jdroids

May 7, 2012
Visit site

So the 10 is smaller than the 6p and S7e, and competes more directly with the S7 (non Edge) and G5. Not sure why people are expecting 6p/S7e battery life out of it.

True, but HTC talked like this phone would set new record on battery life for this size phone with 3000 mAh battery. But it seems no better than even regular S7 from Alex and other early reviews. I guess that's without using battery saving features like power saver or app optimizer under battery menu.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site

True, but HTC talked like this phone would set new record on battery life for this size phone with 3000 mAh battery. But it seems no better than even regular S7 from Alex and other early reviews. I guess that's without using battery saving features like power saver or app optimizer under battery menu.
They did not say the conditions under which that 48 was reached though did they? Could be 1 hour screen time, could be 30 minutes lol. Could also be all idle. We just don't know. :)

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site

So the 10 is smaller than the 6p and S7e, and competes more directly with the S7 (non Edge) and G5. Not sure why people are expecting 6p/S7e battery life out of it.

I was hoping for improved SOT, 4 hours is about the average for 5-5.2 inch devices, and has been for a couple of years now. I'd like to see them start to get to 5, maybe even start inching towards 6....

I know S7e isn't direct but I have not researched the plain S7 and it was the only number "available" in my brain due to the fact I am looking at it but hoping against all hope the 10 will pan out better for me.

That being said I think minus 600 MaH; minus .3 inches of screen and supposedly being "optimized" (tossing out 48 hours as thats just eye catching marketing gimmick) 12 hours and 4 hours of SOT seems really...really light and not very good. I have a 3+ old 5" DNA with a failing (overheating) battery can still get 2 hours SOT in 24 of use with a 2020 MaH battery. Those are my only comparisons I can tangibly get and sets my viewpoint.

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site

They did not say the conditions under which that 48 was reached though did they? Could be 1 hour screen time, could be 30 minutes lol. Could also be all idle. We just don't know. :)

And we know things are said to catch your eye (48 hours is a "wow" factor). But what was stated by current tester is...disappointing.

Slusho64

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site

I have an M9 and I'm worried about the lack of stereo speakers. Where does it sound like the audio is coming from (tweeter, center of screen, or does it actually sound like the highs are coming from the tweeter and the lows from the other side)? Does it sound like front-facing speakers? I love the Dolby effect on the speakers with the M9. Does it have that too and how well does it work, or is it only there for headphones? (Basically, how does it compare to previous BoomSound speakers?)

Mdbills484

May 6, 2015
Visit site

I've seen 4 reviews, all indicate extremely meh battery life.

gyroslice

May 13, 2010
Visit site

The HTC M7 was one of my favorite phones. Will I love the HTC 10 just as much? Will it make food taste better? Will water still be wet?

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site

Why are you comparing this to the Edge's battery? First this phone has a 3000 vs the much larger battery that comes with the GS7E and you also have an LCD screen vs Amoled and we have always been taught that Amoled is much more battery friendly so wouldn't you expect the phone with the Larger battery and the Amoled screen to last longer? its a no brainer right Larger Battery.... unless I am wrong and the battery is the exact same size then we have a problem.

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

I think I read somewhere they stated 48 hours battery life with light usage.

And I don't know why people are comparing its battery life to the S7E or 6P....it should be compared to GS7 if anything as they're most similar.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Does the unlocked US model work with Verizon?

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site

Why are you comparing this to the Edge's battery? First this phone has a 3000 vs the much larger battery that comes with the GS7E and you also have an LCD screen vs Amoled and we have always been taught that Amoled is much more battery friendly so wouldn't you expect the phone with the Larger battery and the Amoled screen to last longer? its a no brainer right Larger Battery.... unless I am wrong and the battery is the exact same size then we have a problem.

I explained in a following post.

However I was under the impression AMOLED was more hungry the Super5? Maybe that further confuses my apples to kumquat comparison?

And the indication of other reviewers saying battery life is meh.... *sigh*

I am not living on a charger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty