We've got the HTC 10 and we're answering your questions right here!

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site
Re: We've got the HTC 10 — and we're answering your questions right here!

To the people telling not to compare it with the GS7E; we compare it with GS7E becuase HTC gave us hope and misled us with false advertising claiming that they 'reinvented' battery technology and used the 'science' of battery tech to make their batteries last long! I get that it's an okay SOT for a phone like this but they gave it so much hype that we were expecting better, like waaaay better! When I saw the initial hands on videos claiming that the phone has a great camera, performance, and sound as they advertised. I was hoping that the battery advertising was also true, which seems to be not the case!

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site

I saw that afterwards @Bearcats98, I was always under the impression that LCD's use more power due to lighting up all pixels vs Amoled only lighting up what is needed. I could be wrong I am no engineer when it comes to screen technology and what a pixel does in one screen vs another so if anyone is an expert which is it?

Bearcats98

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site

To the people telling not to compare it with the GS7E; we compare it with GS7E becuase HTC gave us hope and misled us with false advertising claiming that they 'reinvented' battery technology and used the 'science' of battery tech to make their batteries last long! I get that it's an okay SOT for a phone like this but they gave it so much hype that we were expecting better, like waaaay better! When I saw the initial hands on videos claiming that the phone has a great camera, performance, and sound as they advertised. I was hoping that the battery advertising was also true, which seems to be not the case!

I don't feel misled. I know I was comparing 3600 to 3000 battery sizes but was making up my own extrapolation graph in my head. Not a great comparison however taking the marketing speak out I came to believe by whatever means that I should be able to get 24 hours of phone life charge to charge with SOT of 4 hours. 12 seems so dramatically short. HTC put a lot of effort into the camera because that is what the masses were screaming and dogging them for.

Ill watch closer.

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site

What video was this that HTC released saying they reinvented battery tech and used science to make their specific battery last longer than anything else in the 3000 milli amp range? And I have no problem comparing the phone to the GS7E I just said you can't expect it beat it out one uses AMOLED vs LCD, and one has a Larger Battery those two combos would put it on top 98% of the time. Who are you doing reviews for I would like to read yours?

Tswfootball

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site

Is the stock htc gallery app That's available in play store, compatible with the HTC 10?

Or do i have to use Google photos?

Posted via the Android Central App

bhatech

Trusted Member
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site

Wow this thread is quickly turning into battery discussion wars :)

hgoldner#CB

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

As to battery, it's the best I've seen on any smartphone since the days of the Palm Treo. More than 24 hours with moderate use, and I suspect I've had the device longer than the reviewer here.

hgoldner#CB

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

In answer to question about unlocked 10 running on Verizon - No, it does not.

hgoldner#CB

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

In answer to whether Gallery runs: I have sideloaded a Marshmallow compatible gallery app and it runs fine (I prefer it to Google Photos, too).

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

I saw that afterwards @Bearcats98, I was always under the impression that LCD's use more power due to lighting up all pixels vs Amoled only lighting up what is needed. I could be wrong I am no engineer when it comes to screen technology and what a pixel does in one screen vs another so if anyone is an expert which is it?

It's not quite that simple. AMOLED screen battery life varies widely depending on what's being displayed, specifically because it only lights up the pixels that are needed. But when you're dealing with a webpage, or Facebook, or something with a lot of white, particularly a while background, AMOLED screens can actually need/draw MORE power than an LCD displaying the same image.

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site

What video was this that HTC released saying they reinvented battery tech and used science to make their specific battery last longer than anything else in the 3000 milli amp range? And I have no problem comparing the phone to the GS7E I just said you can't expect it beat it out one uses AMOLED vs LCD, and one has a Larger Battery those two combos would put it on top 98% of the time. Who are you doing reviews for I would like to read yours?

New HTC 10 Teaser Hints HTC Is Also Obsessed With Great Battery Life : PERSONAL TECH : Tech Times

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site

It's not quite that simple. AMOLED screen battery life varies widely depending on what's being displayed, specifically because it only lights up the pixels that are needed. But when you're dealing with a webpage, or Facebook, or something with a lot of white, particularly a while background, AMOLED screens can actually need/draw MORE power than an LCD displaying the same image.

So overall what screen tends to pull more on a constant basis? I am sure there has to be research that shows which one would destroy a battery faster using the same conditions. I am not saying run a test where its an all white screen but there has to be something right?

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site

OMG really? They are saying this not literal but that their folks were obsessed so they broke it down to a science no where in there did it say they were the best 3000 milli amp battery on the market. you can say you are building towards this just like every car maker that has a v8 engine thinks theirs is better and yet it can get smashed by a v6 with turbos or a bi-v6 something anyway. I did not get what you got from that video but that doesn't make you wrong and it doesn't make we right we just have two different understandings and thats what is.

Apr 30, 2015
Visit site

OMG really? They are saying this not literal but that their folks were obsessed so they broke it down to a science no where in there did it say they were the best 3000 milli amp battery on the market. you can say you are building towards this just like every car maker that has a v8 engine thinks theirs is better and yet it can get smashed by a v6 with turbos or a bi-v6 something anyway. I did not get what you got from that video but that doesn't make you wrong and it doesn't make we right we just have two different understandings and thats what is.

"We'll work crazy long hours so that your phone will too"

What's crazy long about less than 5h of SOT with 12h usage? HTC shot themselves in the foot with over-marketing this thing!

npaladin-2000

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site

So overall what screen tends to pull more on a constant basis? I am sure there has to be research that shows which one would destroy a battery faster using the same conditions. I am not saying run a test where its an all white screen but there has to be something right?

There's plenty, the problem is, they don't all use the same conditions. :) Because of the nature of AMOLED, you can heavily optimize a test for it, or not.

There's a couple of general guidelines you can follow, that might help.

If you use a lot of white-background stuff, go LCD.
If you watch a lot of movies, or use a lot of apps in "night mode" with dark backgrounds, AMOLED may serve you better.

Personally, I optimize my usage for whatever screen technology I have. If I'm using an AMOLED screen, I set my Kindle app to display white text on a black background, same with as many other apps as support it. It helps, but I'm on Facebook and Final Fantasy games so often, I'm not sure it really helps enough.

KentuckyHouse

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site

A staff member over at Android Police tried a Verizon sim in the unlocked version and this is what he found...

"It gets an LTE signal briefly with a Verizon SIM but data connectivity and calls are non-functional, then the LTE signal goes away altogether, with a cross through the signal bar. Picks up the right APN and everything, though.

Sort of like it tried to register on the network and then got told "no."

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site

There's plenty, the problem is, they don't all use the same conditions. :) Because of the nature of AMOLED, you can heavily optimize a test for it, or not.

There's a couple of general guidelines you can follow, that might help.

If you use a lot of white-background stuff, go LCD.
If you watch a lot of movies, or use a lot of apps in "night mode" with dark backgrounds, AMOLED may serve you better.

Personally, I optimize my usage for whatever screen technology I have. If I'm using an AMOLED screen, I set my Kindle app to display white text on a black background, same with as many other apps as support it. It helps, but I'm on Facebook and Final Fantasy games so often, I'm not sure it really helps enough.

Perfect explanation @npaladin-2000 thanks for taking the time to explain that, I will be using what you provided going forward in making decisions as well. Take care...

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site

Does anyone know if the camera lens on the back is Sapphire or is it just regular glass that scratches very easy?