I really thought this would be the phone of the year

Altema22

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Interestingly, I just bought an S7 Edge this morning. I still plan on getting the 10 though, so it will be interesting to have them both together. I have to say the S7e is probably the prettiest phone I've ever bought, but I'm not liking the thin strip you have to hold it by, or by the false presses on the screen edges. Still like it though. Although we don't have the formal audio specifications (and AC does not test with headphones attached which drastically affects the output on many phones), I would guess the 10 is fairly close to the M8, which I do have and most certainly will do a head to head audio comparison tonight. I have to say the Edge stuttered quite a bit when scrolling lists, but I imagine that will smooth out. To the OP; it's not animation speed that gives the impression of speed... the 10 screen actually is more responsive. After using both the M8 and edge side by side, I can't say that the S7 felt any faster than the M8 with the animations set to default.

radioactive70

Apr 15, 2016
Visit site
It sounds like you got a phone that had a dud screen. It sucks, but it happens with devices. So you're sticking with your S7 Edge?

I dunno, I'm actually thinking about getting the 10 or Nexus 6P when I upgrade... The only thing about the HTC 10 about which I am concerned is the screen size. But that's me. :p

Do you know anyone who has the 10 who could give you more feedback? I've heard overall good things about it - not saying your issues are unwarranted, they totally are; especially the screen/display issues - but who knows, the phone just came out. HTC may jump to fix glitches when they catch 'em.

BTW: You said you're in Canada. Which carrier did you switch to? I can't remember if Rogers has the HTC 10 out right now. Does Bell?

Bell has exclusivity in Canada until July.

Altema22

Dec 1, 2014
Visit site
Well, had some time to sit down with the S7 Edge and the HTC M8. And oddly enough, I've decided to keep the HTC as my primary phone and the Edge as secondary. Main reasons are audio quality, and the fact that the M8 is smoother and does not stutter. And, although it's not a reason, I found that the M8 screen was brighter and more accurate, with the S7 screen having a pink tint to it.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Well, had some time to sit down with the S7 Edge and the HTC M8. And oddly enough, I've decided to keep the HTC as my primary phone and the Edge as secondary. Main reasons are audio quality, and the fact that the M8 is smoother and does not stutter. And, although it's not a reason, I found that the M8 screen was brighter and more accurate, with the S7 screen having a pink tint to it.
Unless your s7 screen is defective, it's the more accurate by a healthy margin. May be worth an exchange if you have already adjusted the software settings for screen calibration.

JanuarJaguar

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
So, last night I made the switch and got the HTC 10. I switched carriers to and realized what an insane move that was as well. This morning I brought everything back to the store.

Let's preface this - since the unveiling, I've been amped for this device. Probably more excited than any other phone in a long time. I've been a long time fan of their Super LCD panels and Sense software and thought they'd hit this one out of the park. Here's what fell short:

- Panel: a few things turned me off. First, my panel wasn't completely white, but rather, white on the left, with a gradient effect to grey on the right. Very noticeable when using HTC's keyboard. I also had light bleed across the top of the screen. Probably a bad unit, but still. Second, the display isn't that bright and they use shadows on the home screen which make it seem even dimmer. Third, I can't believe how poor their wallpapers are. They looked incredible in videos, but when selecting and using them, they're all grainy and the resolution/quality looks really bad. Last, it seems making the display colder or warmer by the slightest bit turns the colour to ****.

- Build: one issue I've always had with HTC phones is the power button + volume buttons are very clicky. Not in the good way, but rather, if you slightly tap on them, they rock and make a clicking sound. The issue that plagued the M7 + M8 still exists. Some might not mind it, but it's quite annoying. Also, this phone is quite heavy.

- Software: Sense is great. But, not much has changed. The software felt dated compared to TouchWiz (am I really saying this?) in the sense that everything looks the same and operates the same. For example, the weather app still looks as boring as it did on the M7, and the dialer is still as lame as it was on the Sensation. Also, there are weird load times... for example, when setting a wallpaper, it takes a good 3 seconds to load up the window to pick your wallpaper (tried over and again). Last, their animations aren't very Marshmallow-y. They almost feel forced to pop at you immediately to minimize the feeling of lag... but, it feels - forced? Too quick? Not natural? Not sure the word.

- Camera: camera is good for the most part, but man - this thing over exposes a lot. Compared to my old 5S, light fixtures are blown out and even light reflects look weird. I updated the software btw.

What I liked:
- Smooth UI (+ Chrome)
- Speakers are really good
- BlinkFeed
- The home button (love not having to press a physical button)
- Fantastic front facing camera

I felt disappointed after getting the phone - maybe others won't, but my thoughts. After using the S7 Edge with Nova Launcher, I cant recommend this device over it (or the iPhone for that matter).

Would love to hear your thoughts if you have the device.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Also, sorry that the true fans had to be cocky.... Really? Thanks to mods for cleaning the topics.

And for the Rizwan user, before you're demanding for evidence from a "stranger" (read: someone who's not your drinking buddy) over the internet, at least try to show some respect, spoiled kid.

chezm

Trusted Member
Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback guy...I had no plans to change carriers for this device, you got guts but at least you know now rather than wondering about.

Posted via the Android Central App

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

What exactly do you use a secondary phone for? I'm thinking of doing something similar but in my mind I'm having trouble justifying it

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I love when the OP is a really, really long one so that when everyone replies to it AND quotes it, it makes the page about 13 miles long and we get to scroll through that original post about 1000 times.

weepatc

Mar 26, 2013
Visit site
I have a 10 & to me it's definitely device of the year. The OP definitely has a defective unit as I don't have any issues at all with screen & buttons. The buttons on my device are really sturdy & not loose or clicking. The screen in my opinion is beautiful, although some people might need to do some adjustments to get it to their liking. Music through speakers sounds good to me & through good earphones is absolutely amazing. Camera is really good (I'm no expert) but has taken some great photos to my eye.
I can't personally find anything I don't like about this phone. There's a lot of nit picking going on in all the forums. Believe me when I say if you're interested in this device, when you get one in hand, most people won't be disappointed. Don't let the Naysayers put you off.
I've had the device for 6 days & loving it.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
I have a 10 & to me it's definitely device of the year. The OP definitely has a defective unit as I don't have any issues at all with screen & buttons. The buttons on my device are really sturdy & not loose or clicking. The screen in my opinion is beautiful, although some people might need to do some adjustments to get it to their liking. Music through speakers sounds good to me & through good earphones is absolutely amazing. Camera is really good (I'm no expert) but has taken some great photos to my eye.
I can't personally find anything I don't like about this phone. There's a lot of nit picking going on in all the forums. Believe me when I say if you're interested in this device, when you get one in hand, most people won't be disappointed. Don't let the Naysayers put you off.

You are right.... A lot of nitpicking.
The bottom line is that all of the high end phones are pretty good and each has their own set of cons. Having said that it's hard to make a bad choice and you just have to go with what works for you.

ram1220

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

When you spend as much money for a phone as the 10 costs you are allowed to nit pick. It's a forum. I am glad to hear both sides good and bad.

stkorn97

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I got my 10 about a week ago now and its easily the best phone Ive used. This includes S7 Edge as 2 of my friends have them and Ive messed with them alot. Now Im not a fan of Samsung one bit, have always disliked their phones but can admit that the S7 edge is easily their best phone imo. Not good enough to pull me away from an HTC phone, but for those that have the S7, its a very quality phone where I for once can say I dont dislike their flagship phone. So thats a big step forward for a Samsung phone.

I was sold on Sense as Ive always been a big fan. And touchwiz, while much better and not as noticeable, is still not my style overall. Audio quality also was a no brainer as I saw that the performance of all the other flagships in the sound department are lackluster compared to what HTC did. They really did their homework with the audio quality and realized stock setup isnt great by most accounts.

If I gotta nag on something its likely screen in stock form. The screen tint stock is a little pink for mine, but using slider towards cooler negated that quickly and looks great now. (edit) I will add the auto brightness setting for this phone is all over the place. Very dark at times, almost too dark and doesnt always adjust correctly. I just run manual brightness til a software update hits that may make it a bit better to use. Beyond that, not a whole lot that is an issue. I was perfectly happy with my M8 but was doing some plan changing and realized I could get the 10 with new plan and save money from old plan, so said why not. Plus I loved the look and feel of it in the store. Was sold instantly.

Fathertime

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I just wish they would send a software update to increase the volume of the phone ringer. It used to be great on the M7 and M8. A lot louder.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I meant the question with regard to a lot of people seem to switch off on the same sim

I am one of those people. It's fun to try different phones, but I always buy ones that I have the option to return. Aside from one phone, I have returned all of the phones I have tried.

As for me, I really like iOS but it's kind of boring. I move the same sim around phones not so much, but here and there (definitely more than the average person, though). I'm trying out my other phone for the weekend. Based on how that goes, I may or may not slip the sim back into the iPhone.

I just idealistically want a phone that excites me, decent camera, lasts for more than a day on one charge, no bigger than 5.2" screen and isn't so cookie cutter. I don't think that's a lot to ask for but it seems like it is.

I don't know about the others that do this, but that's my excuse.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ecstasy89