M10 question: Hangouts vs Messenger vs HTC Messaging app

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Yep there are. Customization, time texts, control if screen wakes up, etc. etc.

One thing I really like about Textra over the stock app is the customization. I love that I can change the colors of the icon itself and the look of the app. Didn't really like how Google seems to make all of my text message contacts random colors. I mean, it's not that serious but I appreciate the unity that Textra brings to the table. I'm used to that look coming from Windows Phone and iOS (it's either green or blue).

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
Depends on needs. I get a lot of use out of textra and it's time sending.

What exactly does Textra do that the regular messaging app can't. I myself wonder as well, I have used many devices and never went outside of either hangouts or just the regular app since MMS and SMS can be handled by the stock apps. I can send pictures, videos, and gif's using regular app or hangouts does Textra do something else outside of this that is miles above what google or the phone manufacture provides? Thanks in advance..

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
Can't speak for the other two, but Hangouts seems to be a pretty solid messaging system - just started using it; and I like that you can see when messages have been seen (even in group conversations!), and you can even see when someone is typing a response to you. Plus, similar to BBM, people send you invitations and you can pick and choose whether or not to accept (granted, Facebook Messenger has this option too for non-friends). I'd be interested in seeing how HTC Messenger stacks up against the rest.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
What exactly does Textra do that the regular messaging app can't. I myself wonder as well, I have used many devices and never went outside of either hangouts or just the regular app since MMS and SMS can be handled by the stock apps. I can send pictures, videos, and gif's using regular app or hangouts does Textra do something else outside of this that is miles above what google or the phone manufacture provides? Thanks in advance..

See here - http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=5203000 :).

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site

I read that already, as in my message I am looking for what puts this over the top what does it do that is miles ahead of the stock app and hangouts. It has to be more than colors being changed and backgrounds galaxy phones allow you to do that. I guess I am trying to understand what I am missing out on I am always looking for something better so seeing that I haven't used or heard of this until this thread if you were selling this what would you say are the key factors in beating out the stock app or googles app? Everything has a selling point was to why it is better Thanks again Almeuit..

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
I read that already, as in my message I am looking for what puts this over the top what does it do that is miles ahead of the stock app and hangouts. It has to be more than colors being changed and backgrounds galaxy phones allow you to do that. I guess I am trying to understand what I am missing out on I am always looking for something better so seeing that I haven't used or heard of this until this thread if you were selling this what would you say are the key factors in beating out the stock app or googles app? Everything has a selling point was to why it is better Thanks again Almeuit..

For me? The customization (colors, themes, etc.) -- the "timed" texts help me a lot. If I need to remind the gf at a certain time I can type a message and tell it to send at a certain date/time. The phone will shoot that off automatically at that set time. I also like the quick reply (it pops up at the top / drown style like Hangouts) and I can tap that to reply but also it shows me the whole conversation (over the app / whatever I am on .. it doesn't have to take me to the app to do it) so I can scroll up and see what I was talking about previously with the person.

Also I like how I have it setup where each text / group text is a separate notification. If my buddies and I have like 4 texts I haven't read it shows that one group within the notification panel and say "4 new messages" but if my gf & mom text me they have their own notification in the panel with what they said / msgs they sent. I can tap the one I want to read / reply to from that and leave the others waiting if I want to respond to them later (such as I want to respond to my gf but leave my buddies thing unread for a little while).

nokia4life

May 6, 2012
Visit site
For me? The customization (colors, themes, etc.) -- the "timed" texts help me a lot. If I need to remind the gf at a certain time I can type a message and tell it to send at a certain date/time. The phone will shoot that off automatically at that set time. I also like the quick reply (it pops up at the top / drown style like Hangouts) and I can tap that to reply but also it shows me the whole conversation (over the app / whatever I am on .. it doesn't have to take me to the app to do it) so I can scroll up and see what I was talking about previously with the person.

Also I like how I have it setup where each text / group text is a separate notification. If my buddies and I have like 4 texts I haven't read it shows that one group within the notification panel and say "4 new messages" but if my gf & mom text me they have their own notification in the panel with what they said / msgs they sent. I can tap the one I want to read / reply to from that and leave the others waiting if I want to respond to them later (such as I want to respond to my gf but leave my buddies thing unread for a little while).

That is great I am sold then on this I think I will give it try thanks again Almeuit great help.

MissSpiffy

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site

I like the simplistic but customizable nature of textra. I can choose colors that are appealing to me without an interface that is overly complex and superfluous. It's clean.

Dave Knight2

Jan 30, 2015
Visit site
I use the HTC Messaging app. I used to use Messenger all the time, but I got tired of re-installing it everytime I purchased a new phone. I'm waiting for Allo from Google though. I'm super excited about that. Before Messenger by Google I was using Textra and PoWow Messenger (Which has now been discontinued).

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks all for the input, I think for now, at least, I am going to stay with the HTC app for SMS/MMS until something that is better for my usage comes along.

D_Wiggles

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I know you said no 3rd party but I have found Disa to be perfect it links sms/mms/facebook/hangouts into one app runs great on the HTC 10. :)

Hypeo

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
i used Hangouts a while ago but the deal breaker was the ability to add multiple pictures to one conversation or the ability to edit them once you chose your picture. has that change on hangouts?

markdoc

Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I started using Handcent because I couldn't send MMS. At the time I didn't know that they have to be sent over 3/4G. (at least with Verizon). Handcent was the only app I found that when I was on wifi could turn on 4G, send the message and turn off 4G automatically. It also adjusts itself for each carrier.(at least it implies it does) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯