Google Play Music only Supports MP3???

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Ive never used google Play Music berfore. but it appears that I have to rip all my music onto my SDCard in MP3... ok so its 320, but still... Cant I use flac or WMA for hi-res audio through Google Play.. or am I missing something ..

Also when I use Shuffle and Player Pro... my WMA and flac files arent showing only the MP3s... so is this a permissions issue or an HTC 10 issue..

Thanks

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Have you tried VLC? It supports FLAC.

Player Pro also supports flac and WMA... I used it on my G4, S5.. this is concerning, its not a deal breaker at all as I do love this phone, and MP3s work great... but I do have Sennheiser phones, which sound great with flac

From this page:

http://estore.htc.com/in/buy/en/htc/htc-10-htc10

MultimediaAudio supported formats:
Playback: .aac, .amr, .ogg, .m4a, .mid, .mp3, .wav, .flac
Recording: .aac, .flac
Video supported formats:
Playback: .3gp, .mp4, .avi, .mkv
Recording: .mp4, .mkv

Yeah, I had already saw that.. which is why i posted this thread, but thanks though :)..

So is anyone else using Flac, aac, WMA.. and can you give me any advice plz..

----------------------------------------------------------

FLAC Works in google Music. Using it right now.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Ive set Google play to access from my SDCard, and I cleared the cache and Refershed the library..
Ok, so something is wrong... ill try another cable...

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Player Pro also supports flac and WMA... I used it on my G4, S5.. this is concerning, its not a deal breaker at all as I do love this phone, and MP3s work great... but I do have Sennheiser phones, which sound great with flac

Yeah, I had already saw that.. which is why i posted this thread, but thanks though :)..

So is anyone else using Flac, aac, WMA.. and can you give me any advice plz..
What happens if you store the files on the phone memory and not the SD card?

rader023

May 17, 2010
Visit site
-----------------------------------------------------------

Ive set Google play to access from my SDCard, and I cleared the cache and Refershed the library..
Ok, so something is wrong... ill try another cable...

I am using SD card as adoptable storage. Not sure if thats the reason it is working.

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
What happens if you store the files on the phone memory and not the SD card?

That works Great for FLAC.. Thanks.. sadly, not for WMA.....

I am using SD card as adoptable storage. Not sure if thats the reason it is working.

I tried to mount it.. but it says my SD is too slow.. Im using a 64GB UHS-1 Class 6 (80m/s)... It says i need a UHS-3, so.. no joy there.. but thanks for the tip..

This never happened with the G4 or Z5 under MM or even the G5, but then again they all had their own music players..

I do love the phone.. but why they switched to Google Play :)

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
That works Great for FLAC.. Thanks.. sadly, not for WMA.....

I tried to mount it.. but it says my SD is too slow.. Im using a 64GB UHS-1 Class 6 (80m/s)... It says i need a UHS-3, so.. no joy there.. but thanks for the tip..

This never happened with the G4 or Z5 under MM or even the G5, but then again they all had their own music players..

I do love the phone.. but why they switched to Google Play :)
Well, since WMA isn't officially supported by the device I wouldn't necessarily sweat that.

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Well, since WMA isn't officially supported by the device I wouldn't necessarily sweat that.

Yeah.. Its just habit i guess using WMA, but Im not too bothered about it, Flac is better i find anyway, but takes longer to rip. Anyway at least I know my device isnt faulty, which im pleased about...

Thanks again for the help.. and Ill post up for others if i get a result :)

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
This is from the Shuttle website: Shuttle Music Player

Does Shuttle support [Opus, FLAC, WMA, ALAC, etc.]?
Shuttle uses the native media player that comes with your phone, so as long as a filetype is supported by your phone, it is supported by Shuttle.

James E1

Trusted Member
Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
Upload all your wma files from computer to play music and then you can download to phone from play music. I had to do this and it works great plus I can now access all my music from any device.

Posted via the Android Central App

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
Upload all your wma files from computer to play music and then you can download to phone from play music. I had to do this and it works great plus I can now access all my music from any device.

Thats what I figured Google want to do... but apparently, when you download them, they convert to MP3

I copied all of my flac files to my sd card and they play through Google play music just fine.

Is that using an SDCard reader, then putting the sd into the phone?, that will probably work as well..

Anyways, Ive SORTED it... it turns out.. it was the USB 3 extension cable i was using, I find I have to use USB extension as my toiwer is on the floor and my keyboard, monitor is on my high desk... turns out my bog standard USB 2 ports work fine...

So all is good.. Even though it turned out to be a darn cable.... Thanks to all for your great help and advice... much appreciated :)

The moto is: USB 3 sucks :)

rader023

May 17, 2010
Visit site
You are right they will convert to 320kbs MP3.

I also got that speed warning, only the second time i remounted the sdcard after a factory reset. But i was able to allow me to do it somehow. Can't remember i think i just tried several times.

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
You are right they will convert to 320kbs MP3.

I also got that speed warning, only the second time i remounted the sdcard after a factory reset. But i was able to allow me to do it somehow. Can't remember i think i just tried several times.

Well I actually ended up getting my 10 replaced... i started to get slow charging warnings and errors when syncing audio, plus the speakers kept phasing in and out.. (I know the speakers are not true stereo, but Bass and tweeter), but there was something odd about them.... but so far the new one seems to be working better.... still cant get my sandisk to act as internal storage, but its ripping files in flac, so thats ok :).

Im thinking maybe a faulty USB port...

anon(9918034)

May 19, 2016
Visit site
Is that using an SDCard reader, then putting the sd into the phone?, that will probably work as well..

I plug the phone into my PC, avoid the HTC sync. I open file explorer and drag and drop from my computer to the sd card. It asks if I want to convert the file. I simply check the do this for all and select no for converting the file.

NightOrchid

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site

I plug the phone into my PC, avoid the HTC sync. I open file explorer and drag and drop from my computer to the sd card. It asks if I want to convert the file. I simply check the do this for all and select no for converting the file.

Im going to try that actually, thats a good idea :) .. I was just plugging my 10 straight into the USB port and copying them that way..