M9 versus 10?????

holz75

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
I'd suggest just doing a search because you'll find tons of comparisons and opinions from when the 10 first came out.

tsbrewers

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Nope.

I have no idea how it compares to a M9 since I never owned one. But if you are happy with the M9, why upgrade? I just went from an HTC Evo3d to the 10. So I had my last phone for probably 5 years. Still worked perfect, and I had no problems with it. The "problem" was that I had a bunch of things that no longer worked with it. Such as my bank's app, the new Square credit card reader, etc. So I was pretty much forced to upgrade. If I didn't have those issues, I would still be rocking the Evo 3d.

B0WIE

Mar 26, 2014
Visit site
Nope.

I have no idea how it compares to a M9 since I never owned one. But if you are happy with the M9, why upgrade? .

I was perfectly happy with the M8 and went with the 10, mostly because I was bored and wanted to buy something fun. I had no idea what I was missing out on until I actually used it for a few days. I don't think the 10 is going to dominate the 9 in specific areas. But, it's a culmination of many small things that makes an outstanding user experience.

Habiib

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
If you plan on sticking with HTC devices then heck yes you should upgrade to the 10. The only thing I'd recommend is to wait to see how the Nexus devices turn out before you pull the trigger.

petvas72

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Is it worth the upgrade? I'm quite happy with 9. I'll be reading all. Thanks Bill.

I had the M9, so I can say something about that.

I really liked the design of the M9, but the 10 looks more modern. It also has a much better and bigger display.
The fingerprint sensor is great, something that the M9 lacks.
The camera is much much much improved compared to the M9. If you care about your photos, get the 10.

The BoomSound speakers are also great on the 10, but if you are used to the BoomSound on the M9, you mught find the 10 to have a lower volume. Quality wise the 10 might be a bit better though. The DAC though improves playback when using earbuds. I would say that regarding audio, some things are better on the M9 (front facing stereo speakers), and some on the 10.

The new Sense lacks some HTC apps that many people love, like the HTC gallery.

All in all, the 10 is faster, feels great in the hand, has a better and bigger display and has a better battery.

Gus_Gutz

Aug 4, 2015
Visit site
I have both. The 10 does not get as hot as the 9. Games do not heat up the 10 like they did on the 9. I never thought the 9 was that hot until I got the 10 and it only gets a little warm under heavy use.

The 10 has a better camera. Lower light images and videos are much better.

On the 9 I could leave NFC on all the time, but with the 10 with NFC on I hear a constant thumping sound in one channel of my Bose QC3 headphones. So annoying I exchanged the phone for another. It was the same on both. I think the 9 speakers just sounded better but I seldom use them anyway and most of the time I use a Bluetooth speaker for music

The 10 uses a USB-C cable. I needed a new charger for work and my car. There is no real standard yet for USB-C chargers and cables so be careful what you use. I use google maps and Waze. My first 10 had a problem with Waze and the GPS was off by 50 feet or so. It always showed me next to the freeway and constantly rerouted me. The replacement doesn't have that issue.

I use the google now launcher on both and so functionally they seem the same but the 10 is obviously much faster.

Battery life is the same on both. After 20 hours I have about 45% left. I stream music for 10 hours a day but I use my watch for most notifications and replying to text, so my screen on time is low most days. I usually charge to 100% before I go to bed and then unplug it. Overnight I use about 2 to 3 percent of the battery. That is the same on both phones and I think the Ice/Dot view cases have something to do with that.

I had the carbon M9 on Verizon, but I am stuck with the silver 10. It looks like crap so I keep it in the Ice View case. That case is all black and hides the crappy silver color. On the 9 I used the dot view case. It showed off the great carbon color. The 10 Ice view case seems much sturdier than the rubberized 9 dot view case. That is a plus for me.

If I could do it again, would I upgrade? probably .. I like the camera the most.

rsdroid

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I had the M9 and wasn't planning to upgrade until I shattered the screen on a particularly hard drop. Assurion didn't have any more M9s and offered me a new 10.

Things I like better: 1. FINGERPRINT SENSOR!! Never thought I'd need it, now can't imagine not having it. Super fast and accurate, way more so than my friends with Sammies. So convenient to know my phone is locked, yet can still be unlocked in a split second by touching the home button.

2. Camera: Huge improvement over M9. Much faster, much better pics, although a small learning curve because the software is different, especially with regards to adjusting exposure. Once you've learned it, it's great.

3. Size: I didn't think I'd like the larger size as I have small hands, but honestly it's easier to grip and I've only dropped it a couple times, compared to several times a week with the M9. Also, keyboard can be resized to work with one hand without reaching all the way across.

4. Headphone sound: Unbelievably good sound quality through the headphones makes up for the lack of dual front speakers. Speakers are good, just not as good as M9. Speaker phone is much louder on 10 though, which is a big plus for me.

5. Overheating: Definitely doesn't get nearly as hot as M9. I couldn't do video calls for more than a few minutes on the M9 without it overheating, no problem on the 10. Also can charge while browsing or on the phone without it getting the least bit hot. Not even running GPS gets it even close to as hot as my M9 got regularly.

Things I don't like: 1. No HTC KEYBOARD!! This is a big miss in removing some of the HTC apps and I'm still struggling to find a keyboard that handles swipe typing as well as the HTC keyboard did. I've used the default TouchPal, Swiftkey and the Google keyboard so far. This is my one major complaint and it's quite an annoying problem for me that I still haven't solved yet. I have to retype a LOT! Hoping to still find one that works well for me.

2. No HTC Gallery. Another HTC app removed that shouldn't have been. Definitely don't care for Google photos and miss the edit options from HTC Gallery.

I think overall it has huge plusses over the M9 with two drawbacks.

Posted via the Android Central App

Last edited:

Bildriver

Jan 14, 2016
Visit site
Well thank you everyone. It looks like I will wait for the nexus option. Talked to my phone guy. Wife will get the new apple abomination and me either the 10 or a 6p or whatever it's called. Thanks again.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38