Notification sounds are the same

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Hi, I updated my htc 10 last night to android8.0.0. The problem is that all apps "message, mail" has the same notification sound.
I tried to change it from the app itself, after I change the sound it becomes the default sound, so the notification sound for the other apps becomes the default sound, too. Even the battery saving is the same.

Any solution, please?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! When you tried to change the notification tones from the apps themselves, did the menu clearly show that you were changing the tones for that specific app, or did it take you to the main System Settings menu for default notification tones?

Hope_4_Life10

Feb 1, 2018
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! When you tried to change the notification tones from the apps themselves, did the menu clearly show that you were changing the tones for that specific app, or did it take you to the main System Settings menu for default notification tones?

Thanks for the reply!
it took me to the main system settings. Unlike the whatsapp app, where it shows me a different menu, therefore I didn't have any problem with Whatsapp.

Hope_4_Life10

Feb 1, 2018
Visit site
All notification sounds are the same

Hi, I updated my htc 10 last night to android8.0.0. The problem is that all apps "message, mail" has the same notification sound.
I tried to change it from the app itself, after I change the sound it becomes the default sound, so the notification sound for the other apps becomes the default sound, too. Even the battery saving is the same.
You can see the screenshots to be clear.

Any solution, please?

Attachments

• email22.JPG
    email22.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 47
Last edited by a moderator:

Hope_4_Life10

Feb 1, 2018
Visit site
When it takes you to the main system settings, does it specify that you're setting the default notification tone for the Messaging app, or does it look like a general default? Show us a screenshot of that menu: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html. Sorry, but each phone is a little different, so I can't generalize from looking at my Pixel 2 XL.

Thanks! And no, it doesn't specify that I'm setting the default notification for a specific app. It looks like a general default.
I can't upload the screenshots in a reply, so I started a new thread here: https://forums.androidcentral.com/ask-question/866748-all-notification-sounds-same.html

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I merged the threads together and kept it all in the HTC 10 forum. You should be able to post images in a reply using these steps: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ge...ide-how-post-screenshots-android-central.html. Also, I'm going to ask a Mod to modify your screenshot to block out your email address, for your own privacy.

That screenshot shows that it's supposedly specific to the Mail app. Just to be sure, from that screenshot, if you tap sound, and then select a different tone, then go to the main System Settings>Sounds menu and look at the default systemwide notification tone, it's been changed there as well?

Hope_4_Life10

Feb 1, 2018
Visit site
thanks I really appreciate your help!
yes, that's right. It's changed in the system setting, the mail notification setting, and even the battery saving notification sound.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, try this as a test -- open the Messages app, select a specific conversation, then tap Menu>Settings, and see if you can select a specific notification for that conversation alone.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, I was using my Pixel 2 XL as reference, with Android Messages and Gmail. Strange that the stock Messaging app from HTC doesn't let you do that. As a temporary workaround (or as a test), you could try installing Google's Android Messages app and see if you can set a notification tone specific to a conversation.

Hope_4_Life10

Feb 1, 2018
Visit site
I installed the google's android message app, then changed the notification sound for a specific conversation. It's changed in the rest of conversations + the email...etc

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, something is definitely buggy with your system, because that shouldn't happen. I can definitely change the notification tone for a specific conversation in Android Messages, and it won't change anywhere else.

You've already shown it that still happens in Safe Mode, so one of the next possible steps would include a factory reset -- obviously a hassle, but if this issue is important for you, then it's something you may have to do. If it still happens after a factory reset, then either there's something in the official code itself that's buggy, or the firmware might have become corrupt -- the latter would require reinstallation of a fresh copy of the firmware. I'm not sure how easy that is, but check their site for instructions: ROM Downloads for your HTC smartphone - Support | HTC United States

Hope_4_Life10

Feb 1, 2018
Visit site
well, thanks for the effort I really appreciate your time, but, I think I can live with that problem 😁 I mean, it's not worth it to do the factory reset.
they might fix it in a few days, who knows?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's true. There's probably an option in the system settings to send feedback, so definitely let HTC know about this.

Sara Pedrick

Feb 6, 2018
Visit site
I hope they fix it...I am having exactly the same problem with my HTC 10. I used to have different notification tones for different apps so I could tell instantly if it was something I wanted to look at but the majority now seem to be the default tone, and changing it one app changes it for all the others. :-\

NovaCore

Feb 6, 2018
Visit site
I'm having this issue as well, I guess it feels a little comforting that I'm not alone in this. I've contacted HTC support, hoping for a solution.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adelinachau53674