an outdated Aria help

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Good evening everyone. It has been since Mar 02 2011 since I was here in the lands of HTC (I'm from VZWMotoville please dont shoot) with my gf's Aria. Shes still rockin it, she says she doesnt want any other new phone I tell her about. Yet it is outdated and since I fell into the massive arena that is the DX (yay now we have CM7 too), I havent kept up with the Aria. Lets start with the current phone stats.

Android Version
Baseband
47.37.35.090_7.08.35.06
Kernel
2.6.3217-cyanogen-liberty
aria@giovanni #69
Monday Dec 13 13:26:29 EST 2010
Build Number
2.3.5.405.2 CL278184 release-keys
Software Number
Liberated Aria Fr008(FRP91)
Browser Version
Webkit 3.1

Now my gf is not Android smart, she just thinks Lloyd is "so cute" and likes the device. I tell her what I'm doing to my X and she either gives me that look, or just looks away,lol. So what I want to do is get her up to the latest stable builds of everything(Sense ROM,Radio,Kernel) for her Aria so its not too hard to operate and she can basically continue the way she was, a rooted sense device. If someone can help me out and point me in some directions, I'd be grateful.

tpbklake

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Good evening everyone. It has been since Mar 02 2011 since I was here in the lands of HTC (I'm from VZWMotoville please dont shoot) with my gf's Aria. Shes still rockin it, she says she doesnt want any other new phone I tell her about. Yet it is outdated and since I fell into the massive arena that is the DX (yay now we have CM7 too), I havent kept up with the Aria. Lets start with the current phone stats.

Android Version
Baseband
47.37.35.090_7.08.35.06
Kernel
2.6.3217-cyanogen-liberty
aria@giovanni #69
Monday Dec 13 13:26:29 EST 2010
Build Number
2.3.5.405.2 CL278184 release-keys
Software Number
Liberated Aria Fr008(FRP91)
Browser Version
Webkit 3.1

Now my gf is not Android smart, she just thinks Lloyd is "so cute" and likes the device. I tell her what I'm doing to my X and she either gives me that look, or just looks away,lol. So what I want to do is get her up to the latest stable builds of everything(Sense ROM,Radio,Kernel) for her Aria so its not too hard to operate and she can basically continue the way she was, a rooted sense device. If someone can help me out and point me in some directions, I'd be grateful.

Well believe it or not, not much has changed on the HTC Sense front for the Aria. AT&T did release its own Froyo 2.2 update, but it is really pretty much the same as Liberated Aria FR008 that she is currently running.

Over on XDA there is a rooted derivative of the AT&T update called Liberated 2.2.2 that you may want to look at. The users that have installed it claim that it has the best battery life. Personally I was very happy with Liberated FR008 but I'm currently running CM 7.0.3. Hope this helps.

Reactions: jerseyboy357

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Well thank you for that response. So sounds like maybe there is no need to do anything to her device. I will see what some others have to say as well. I was thinking of putting her on a CM ROM but then I thought better of it. She sees it on my X and just looks lost,lol. She has not complained about battery life as she does run juice defender ultimate so I guess FR008 is what she will stay with unless public opinion sways me,lol.

wantabe

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I would definitely give Liberated 2.2.2 a try on your gf's phone. This version has a more updated Froyo ( 2.2.2) than Liberated FR008 does. I've been using it a while now and I honestly have nothing that I can complain about. I did notice that you're using what I think is the older radio and the newer one gives much better all around performance (47.63.35.21U_7.16.35.11), I played around with both. I never really cared for juice defender, I use autostarts.

Reactions: jerseyboy357

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I would definitely give Liberated 2.2.2 a try on your gf's phone. This version has a more updated Froyo ( 2.2.2) than Liberated FR008 does. I've been using it a while now and I honestly have nothing that I can complain about. I did notice that you're using what I think is the older radio and the newer one gives much better all around performance (47.63.35.21U_7.16.35.11), I played around with both. I never really cared for juice defender, I use autostarts.

Well thank you for that information. I thought I wouldn't have any more questions, alas this is Android,lol. So this xda link [ROM]Liberated Aria 2.2.2 - xda-developers has so many update links and pages I feel late to the party. I am getting turned around as to what is what and which one I should take. So the questions is, where do I start to upgrade to the path you were talking about with 2.2.2. Looks like theres a few things i'll need to upgrade.

tpbklake

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Well thank you for that information. I thought I wouldn't have any more questions, alas this is Android,lol. So this xda link [ROM]Liberated Aria 2.2.2 - xda-developers has so many update links and pages I feel late to the party. I am getting turned around as to what is what and which one I should take. So the questions is, where do I start to upgrade to the path you were talking about with 2.2.2. Looks like theres a few things i'll need to upgrade.

Look at Post #1. All of the downloads are listed chronologically. The most recent one is at the bottom:

Update 13-Jun-2011:
Release Candidate 1. This is essentially the same as 006b, but has added busybox run-parts for /etc/init.d/ scripts so apps2sd should work with this version.

http://hoxnet.com/droid/hoxnet_liberated_rc1.zip
MD5: 8a87900fba5258f122b03dbf80cddf2c

You should be able to use ClockworkMod to flash this over the existing FR008. I would do a 'nandroid' backup just in case.

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
well ty very much. I had a feeling it would be that easy. I'm gona install it but not wipe data. But I will wipe cache before n after so a res.tore goes smoother. Will this update the kernel and if not will she be fine running her current kernel on this 2.2.2? I think that's it lol

Sent from the X of B

Last edited:

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Well thank you all for your help. My girl's Aria is running 2.2.2 on build .502 hoxnet_liberated 006b
Everything went smooth, no issues, full restore of apps and data. Thanks to u all for your help and my gf says her fav part is when it writes Liberated Aria across the white HTC screen. I went into her Rom Manager cuz im an addict and saw there up to #113 or #116 on the CM nightlies. Thats so tempting but shed be lost lol alright Im out, back to my X

wantabe

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Great, I'm glad to hear your girlfriend is happy! I'm sure you've heard the saying "If momma isn't happy, ain't nobody happy." ;) I also decided to stick with the 006b version because I'm not overly concerned with putting all my apps on the sd card. I do use App to Sd Pro & Titanium Backup but it seems to me you take a small performance hit running apps off the sd card, a class 10 sd card would help that I'm sure. What I did do was update all the google apps (gmail, maps, street, marketupdater, etc.) in the rom and reflashed it. That really helped to open up some internal space.
"IF" when you turn off the phone and try to charge it and it boots into recovery here is the fix. I had to put up with that for a while and it was annoying. xda-developers - View Single Post - [Recovery] ClockworkMod 2.5.1.7 offmode charging
As I'm sure you know Liberated 2.2.2 can be overclocked. I spent a ridiculous amount of time researching setcpu and what works best for my phone. If your interested check out my post here, http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc-aria/49290-overclocking-aria-2.html#post1027095. For just performance I would use those basic settings with 768 or 806 max Mhz on the main tab and change the Powersave Bias to 0. I've seen better benchmarks but I'm happy!
I even found an HTC clear background clockwidget she might like, works better with a dark wallpaper. Htc Sense Flip Clock Mods - xda-developers
Tell your girlfriend I said to enjoy her little beast.:p

Last edited:

jerseyboy357

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Well ty for that plethora of info lol. Sadly though my girl isn't into modding like we are but she does have the boot into recovery when its on plugged in then turned off but as she put it " it doesn't bother me as long as that green list always has reboot as the first thing" LOL so I guess it doesn't bother her(I bookmarked the pages anyway just in case)

Sent from the X of B