Gingerbread on the Eris!

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
While I am looking forward to what Gingerbread will bring when Kaos and the other devs get Gingerbread source code, what exactly is awesome about it?

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I should add that I did run this for a little while today. It is exactly as promised - early, not optimized, no Google apps (so no market), a little slow, no WiFi. I didn't try the camera. Otherwise, it's truly amazing that everything else seems to work, and I'm looking forward to this, but it appears to be as much an upgrade to Froyo as Froyo was to Eclair/2.1 - i.e., not all that much is different. There are a bunch of UI differences, the keyboard is nicer, text selection looks to be vastly improved, but the phone still looks and feels the same otherwise.

BigRick10

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I don't know if it would be the same but us EVO users flashed the Cyanogen Gapps zip and it loaded the google apps just fine.

I was able to use Gtalk. Download apps from Market. Sms and send out emails. Data worked.

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site

Tarpit_Carnivore

Jul 4, 2010
Visit site
So...I don't know exactly if the Hero and Eris have the same hardware, but will Eris ROM's flash similarly on a Hero?

If you're referring to what I posted it's flashable theme for any CM 6.1 based ROMS and it lists which ones it works on.

I never tried flashing any Hero specific roms because the ones for the Eris have been more than adequate.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
So...I don't know exactly if the Hero and Eris have the same hardware, but will Eris ROM's flash similarly on a Hero?

They are not quite the same hardware - the Eris has a proximity sensor, while the Hero does not. However, many Eris ROMs have been built from Hero builds, and even the latest flashable kernels I believe came from work done on the Hero, so I'd not be surprised if something works on the Eris that it would find its way to the Hero pretty quickly.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
Ok, there's now a stable Gingerbread build with working SMS/MMS, WiFi, camera and GPS. See [ROM][STABLE] GSB v1.2 |MMS Fixed| GingerBread 2.3.2 [CM7.0.0 RC0 NIGHTLY][2-7-2011] - xda-developers

Just as an FYI, this is now at version 1.7. It's very stable - arguably better than the Froyo ROMs. Those were always plagued with an issue called the "undead call" bug, in which your phone would appear to drop a call while you are in the middle of one, then immediately reconnect, and while you are swearing about it the other party hears it: the call was active all along. Also, there was always an issue with the CM6 ROMs that they would drop a GPS signal while navigating after about 30 minutes or so - this ROM has that problem fixed.

The only slight bug that I know of is that the camera force closes if you double-tap the display to focus.

There is also another GB ROM by Tazz, who also had a very good Froyo ROM for the Eris.

KaosGingerbread has not been refreshed since mid-December and remains missing some features.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress