How to manually upgrade to Android 2.1

Jared DiPane

Feb 7, 2010
www.twitter.com
Looks pretty simple, and will sure make a lot of Eris users very happy!

Welcome to the 21st Century guys!

...ok seriously, hope you all enjoy 2.1! It should be a nice, much needed improvement on the experience for you guys!

grandebob

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
Not working on my stock eris (no root, no leak). When I follow the directions, I can't Power + vol up on the Triangle/Phone screen to get a menu to apply the update.

doogald

Trusted Member
Jan 3, 2010
Visit site
I'll continue to wait. I'm sort if curious to see the when the roulette wheel will stop on my phone. I'm looking forward to 2.1, but 1.5 continues to work just fine.

Just my luck it will hit when I go up to rural Maine this weekend (Saturday night), where I know I get a crappy signal...

gotwood3001

Mar 30, 2010
www.facebook.com
I just tried it and I get a funny boot screen. with like 4 options not sure what to pick, something like a fastboot, a reboot. anytthign like this ring a bell. What Should I do. I reconized the file I put in it. Something of the desire to that effect.?

SoCal64

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm on 2.1v3 leak and the SdCard upgrade method doesn't work. Looks like we'll have to wait for either a dev fix or the OTA. Will the OTA abort the upgrade as well?

ptronius

May 11, 2010
Visit site
OK, looks like it is working for me now - I had to rename the OTA update file referenced at the top of this thread "update.zip" and put it on the root of my SD card, then:

1. Hold down Volume Down and Power to boot into FASTBOOT screen
2. Select RECOVERY and press the power button
3. Phone reboots to screen with an exclamation point
4. Press Home and Power to access the recovery menu
5. scroll down with trackball to highlight "Apply sdcard:update.zip," press trackball to select
6. Let it do what it wants to do (about ten minutes of deleting files and installing files)
7. press trackball to reboot.

BOOYAH! Boots (eventually) to OTA 2.1. The reboot sat at the Verizon screen for so long that I thought it had crashed, so I pulled the battery and restarted. On the reboot everything loaded and life is wonderful...

svzuki

May 14, 2010
Visit site
OK, looks like it is working for me now - I had to rename the OTA update file referenced at the top of this thread "update.zip" and put it on the root of my SD card, then:

5. scroll down with trackball to highlight "Apply sdcard:update.zip," press trackball to select
6. Let it do what it wants to do (about ten minutes of deleting files and installing files)

BOOYAH! Boots (eventually) to OTA 2.1. The reboot sat at the Verizon screen for so long that I thought it had crashed, so I pulled the battery and restarted. On the reboot everything loaded and life is wonderful...

Excellent instructions! Thanks. Mine had an error when trying to recover with the filename as it comes, but after renaming it update everything is working now!

jdeguzman

Mar 1, 2010
Visit site

Newbie question - root of SDcard? Make a folder? or just anywhere on SDCard just not IN a folder?

gotwood3001

Mar 30, 2010
www.facebook.com

Doing as directed and my phone is deleting a bunch of files. Thanks for the detailed post.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress