Auto reboot to help with lag?

ronopolis

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
After my OTA update I find that after running for a few days my Eris gets VERY laggy. Drives me crazy. And after a reboot bada-bing! phone is (reasonably) snappy again :eek:. Also after so many days the GPS cannot lock. Reboot, and the GPS instantly locks.

My old blackberry had a feature to turn off/on at preset times. Basically I had the phone reboot every night. Is there any such app for the Eris? I can't find one.

chdtpn

Apr 7, 2010
www.chaad.net
I am not exactly sure about a device that reboots your Eris but if you are having problems with lag have you tried a task killer?

ronopolis

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I'd rather not go down the task-killer path. I've used them before, but I think the 'let android deal with killing apps' is the best approach. If I am going to spend time looking at running apps, choosing which ones to kill etc., I might as well do the no-brainer and just reboot the phone. Takes a little longer, but always works.

Plus I get into the "GPS can't lock" mode (often around lag time), which makes no sense to me at all, and a reboot fixes that. I've had this multiple times.

I think the Eris is just underpowered for running apps like Nav. I like my eris, and I like Nav, but I think some of these more heavy-duty apps just overwhelm the processor. I can tell it has all gone south when I use the HTC 'favorites' widget to (where I keep 9 contacts as a simple one-touch speed dial). And I touch the person i want to call and it takes.... 20 seconds before the connection starts. Big lag.

patches152

Jan 21, 2010
www.berryaddicted.com
Are you in the VZW official? I was on one of VZW's test builds and I just manually loaded the official release and it seems like gps and multitasking is improved. Having a full web page loaded and in the background always slows down my phone. Maybe turn the android task manager up to aggressive?

It's usually one app that's running that slows it all down. Try the advanced task manager to shut down one app and see if it helps, just do it systematically. The app manager that is in the settings is fine, just slow and takes awhile to render apps when you filter. The task manager is a little quicker to the punch is all.