Car charger

bertbear

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
When I bought my Eris, Verizon wanted $30 for a car charger and since we were buying two phones this seemed a bit steep. I have been looking at aftermarket car chargers and noticed that they keep saying mini USB for the Eris. Several of the pictures of the chargers that i have seen, such as this one clearly show a mini usb connector, which is NOT what is on the phone. I could get a USB charger and use the cord that came with the home charger, but it would get really old haveing to move the cord back and forth.

Has anyone found a cheaper alternative to the one sold by Verizon that has the correct plug on it?

bertbear

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
The cheapest one there is $25. Most of the chargers on Amazon say mini USB but also say compatible with the Eris which seems highly unlikely.

Anybody know if the Moto Droid uses the same jack? Hard to tell from the pics I can find, and no VZ store nearby to go and check.

Hmmm, maybe some of the other HTC phones, going to have to check.

dodgethis1#IM

Jan 21, 2010
Visit site
The jack on the Eris does not look like a mini usb but I can guarantee that a mini usb will work, providing the voltage specs are met as well. The Moto Droid uses micro usb and not mini.

IzelTokatl

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
The Eris definitely uses standard mini-USB port. been using my standard mini-usb cab les at work and in the car for over a month now with no issues. If you go to any verizon store, and look at whats charging them in the store... its mini-usb. They are just trying to make an extra $20-30 off of you by selling you custom mini-usb cables... but verizon themselves is saving money and using standard min-usb.. lol

I actually have a dual USB port car charger i got years ago for another device. I think I paid $5 and its lasted years.
16023.jpg

Here are some examples of what would work fine with your current mini usb to USB cables you already may have:

Dual USB Port:
Amazon.com: Scosche Dual USB Car Charger: Electronics
Amazon.com: 2 Port USB Car Cigarette Lighter Adapter Dual Plug for iPod MP3 Players Charger - Color White: Electronics
Amazon.com: Powerjolt Dual Universal 2 USB Blk Car Charger: Electronics

Single USB Port:
Amazon.com: P002 : Universal USB Car Charger Adapter: Electronics
Amazon.com: Kensington Mini Car Charger for Mobile Devices with USB Port: Electronics
Amazon.com: GE 97574 USB Car Charger for Devices with USB Charging Ports (White): Electronics

I have the white one, works just fine.

you can always use People Powered Price Comparison ? BeatMyPrice.com if you find something and want to find the cheapest comparable.

here is all of what Amazon has:
Amazon.com: car charger usb

Last edited:

mikejo1180

Nov 3, 2010
Visit site
When I bought my Eris, Verizon wanted $30 for a car charger and since we were buying two phones this seemed a bit steep. I have been looking at aftermarket car chargers and noticed that they keep saying mini USB for the Eris. Several of the pictures of the chargers that i have seen, such as this one clearly show a mini usb connector, which is NOT what is on the phone. I could get a USB charger and use the cord that came with the home charger, but it would get really old haveing to move the cord back and forth.

Has anyone found a cheaper alternative to the one sold by Verizon that has the correct plug on it?
Try the i go charger from radio shack the tip will be about $10 the charger $12 you need the A97 tip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zbxbzbc