EVO 3D - GPS Issue: A Known Issue to Sprint

Droided11

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
According to a local Sprint store, there is an issue known to Sprint with the new EVO 3D's gps. The gps coordinate/location never stays put. Even when you are not moving, the gps coordinate will jump around. In my experience, it jumps around as much as 50 - 60 yards.
According to the Sprint store, Sprint and TeleNav discovered it a week before the release and supposedly they are working on a fix. Based on my experience, it affects any app that uses gps on EVO 3D.
Has anyone else heard of this issue or experienced the same problem?
I searched the forum but have not come across anyone reporting it, yet.

You can check this using a free app, "GPS Test" or using Google Map. I do not recommend testing this using Google Navigation while driving for obvious safery reason.
See below for my experience with this issue. Sorry it is long.

I have used EVO 4G since its launch day last year and bought EVO 3D on the launch day this year.
Been happy with EVO 4G but wanted faster phone.
Took the new EVO 3D to golf course and tried using the same golf gps app I've been using on my EVO 4G over a year without an issue, SkyDroid (possibly the best Android golf gps when it comes to the accuracy). On EVO 3D, the yardage was all over the place, never stayed constant. When I stood still, it would say 150 to the green, then next moment, it would jump to 162, 132, 185, etc. Up and down 50 - 60 yards, seldom remaining still. On my EVO 4G, SkyDroid "always" gave me the accurate distance. It sometimes took a couple of seconds to lock on to the yardage when I came to a stop, but once it locked on, the distance never changed until I moved again.

When I came home, I ran Google Map on 3 phones (2 EVO 4G, mine and my wife's, and EVO 3D) and zoomed to my location. Sure enough, on EVO 3D, my location did not stay constant. The blue arrow indicating my location kept jumping around, from my house to my next door neighbor's house, then even my neighbor's house across the street. On both original EVO 3D, the blue cursor did not move around at all. I zoomed in the Google Map, so I can see this clearly.
I checked this in "GPS Test" app and confirmed that the location coordinate (Longitude and Latitude) never stayed put on EVO 3D while on EVO 4G, they stayed constant. Both EVO 3D and 4G locked on to about the same number of satellites so it was not an issue with the satellite signal. Seems the new EVO 3D wants to teleport around...Welcome to StarTrek :p

While driving to Sprint store, when I come to a stop, Google Navigation would do the same, teleporting me around the intersection. According to EVO 3D, my car was in the middle of intersection one moment, and then on the side street, then back to my true location.

The Sprint store guy told me that this was a known issue Sprint discovered 1 week before releasing the EVO 3D. He thought it was an issue with TeleNav and he said TeleNav and Sprint are working on the fix. I informed him that it affects any app that uses EVO 3D's GPS. According to him Sprint does not allow customers to exchange the phone for this particular issue. I experienced the phone not powering up, not charging a few times unless I pulled the battery out so he let me exchange it to a new one. Came home to check it and the new one has the same issue with the gps location jumping around.

Hope this is a software issue as opposed to a hardware issue and they are really working on fixing it soon. Since it affects the navigation, it could be a safety issue. I remember a member posting his EVO 3D gps not having strong lock and caused him miss a few turns while driving. It seems other members replying to his post indicated their EVO 3D's gps were fine.
If it is not fixed within the next 30 days, I may need to return EVO 3D under 30 day return policy. HTC and Sprint have been fast with their fixes and I hope they are indeed working on this issue and fix it soon.

jkinnison90

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
There is definitely a problem with it.. I used navigation from Ohio to Florida and can't tell you how many times I heard GPS signal lost..

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

mykrlz182

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
The funny thing is my wife who has the og EVO is having all kinds problems with the gps. But I have the 3D and no problems, problems started after she updated to gingerbread by the way.

slaakker

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
According to a local Sprint store, there is an issue known to Sprint with the new EVO 3D's gps. The gps coordinate/location never stays put. Even when you are not moving, the gps coordinate will jump around. In my experience, it jumps around as much as 50 - 60 yards.
According to the Sprint store, Sprint and TeleNav discovered it a week before the release and supposedly they are working on a fix. Based on my experience, it affects any app that uses gps on EVO 3D.
Has anyone else heard of this issue or experienced the same problem?
I searched the forum but have not come across anyone reporting it, yet.

You can check this using a free app, "GPS Test" or using Google Map. I do not recommend testing this using Google Navigation while driving for obvious safery reason.
See below for my experience with this issue. Sorry it is long.

I have used EVO 4G since its launch day last year and bought EVO 3D on the launch day this year.
Been happy with EVO 4G but wanted faster phone.
Took the new EVO 3D to golf course and tried using the same golf gps app I've been using on my EVO 4G over a year without an issue, SkyDroid (possibly the best Android golf gps when it comes to the accuracy). On EVO 3D, the yardage was all over the place, never stayed constant. When I stood still, it would say 150 to the green, then next moment, it would jump to 162, 132, 185, etc. Up and down 50 - 60 yards, seldom remaining still. On my EVO 4G, SkyDroid "always" gave me the accurate distance. It sometimes took a couple of seconds to lock on to the yardage when I came to a stop, but once it locked on, the distance never changed until I moved again.

When I came home, I ran Google Map on 3 phones (2 EVO 4G, mine and my wife's, and EVO 3D) and zoomed to my location. Sure enough, on EVO 3D, my location did not stay constant. The blue arrow indicating my location kept jumping around, from my house to my next door neighbor's house, then even my neighbor's house across the street. On both original EVO 3D, the blue cursor did not move around at all. I zoomed in the Google Map, so I can see this clearly.
I checked this in "GPS Test" app and confirmed that the location coordinate (Longitude and Latitude) never stayed put on EVO 3D while on EVO 4G, they stayed constant. Both EVO 3D and 4G locked on to about the same number of satellites so it was not an issue with the satellite signal. Seems the new EVO 3D wants to teleport around...Welcome to StarTrek :p

While driving to Sprint store, when I come to a stop, Google Navigation would do the same, teleporting me around the intersection. According to EVO 3D, my car was in the middle of intersection one moment, and then on the side street, then back to my true location.

The Sprint store guy told me that this was a known issue Sprint discovered 1 week before releasing the EVO 3D. He thought it was an issue with TeleNav and he said TeleNav and Sprint are working on the fix. I informed him that it affects any app that uses EVO 3D's GPS. According to him Sprint does not allow customers to exchange the phone for this particular issue. I experienced the phone not powering up, not charging a few times unless I pulled the battery out so he let me exchange it to a new one. Came home to check it and the new one has the same issue with the gps location jumping around.

Hope this is a software issue as opposed to a hardware issue and they are really working on fixing it soon. Since it affects the navigation, it could be a safety issue. I remember a member posting his EVO 3D gps not having strong lock and caused him miss a few turns while driving. It seems other members replying to his post indicated their EVO 3D's gps were fine.
If it is not fixed within the next 30 days, I may need to return EVO 3D under 30 day return policy. HTC and Sprint have been fast with their fixes and I hope they are indeed working on this issue and fix it soon.

I am having the same issue and I am on my second phone. They reluctantly swapped out my phone and it has the same issue. It will go back if they haven't acknowledged the problem and fixed it I use the phone for exercise and accuracy is important.

Turtle#IM

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I too am having the same GPS issue as well as slow 3G speeds. I use CardioTrainer for my workouts and on my EVO 4G the GPS was very accurate. On the EVO 3D the GPS is way off and losing signal throughout the whole workout. The 3G speeds on the EVO 3D have been averaging about 50-150 kbps. This is my 3rd EVO 3D since June 24th. All have had GPS and 3G issues. Needless to say, I am not very happy.

snowwy66

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
i've NEVER had a phone where gps didn't bounce around.

my evo has worked the best though. but my blackberry before and my winmo before blackberry both had the same problems.

none of them were bad enough for me to cry about though.

50 - 60 yards. nothing is perfect. i'd be more concerned if it were 1 mile.

Turtle#IM

Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
I was running my regular route and at the 2.5 mile mark the E3D was already showing I ran 3.5 miles. It sure makes my run times look great though. LOL!

error4o4

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I get tons of GPS issues as well.

Recently took a trip from Phoenix to San Diego. It failed a few times on the way there, but the real problem was while in town. It couldnt keep up at all because of how inaccurate it was. The blue circle was constantly re sizing back and forth.

I tried a ##GPSCLRX# , i tried resetting things, rebooting. Nothing fixes it for more than 5 minutes.

My wife's EVO 4g on the other hand worked flawlessly the whole time. (Towards the end I was testing it with both side by side using navigation. EVO4g was 100% spot on)

This is definitely a EVO3D issue that needs fixed before my 30 days is up or this phone goes back sadly.

GPS accuracy is in my top 3 needs as I travel to new places a lot.

Biffer

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
I have these issues as well. The OG Evo was much better than the 3D in this regard. Not only does it show me jumping around on maps, but is is fairly inaccurate in general. I hope they can fix this via a software update.

error4o4

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Oh yeah forgot to mention that, inside I get accuracy of 1500 meters on 3d, yet 9 meters on 4g.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Mine is perfect. Stays within 12 feet. I wouldn't be too worried about it. It's only been out a little over week. I'm sure this will be fixed in the next update :)

Jo_795

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Before you spread out misinformation, there is no "known" issue with the GPS it would have to show on our internal forum on Sprint. So there is no known issue with the GPS FYI... I work for Sprint as a repair technican

lafester

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
It was jumping all over the place on me the other day while trying to navigate.
Constantly losing signal and reconnecting. it was unusable.

64fairlane

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I have had lots problems with my GPS as well. Mainly just randomly losing signal when it shouldn't.

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Ok wow thought I was the only one who noticed this. With my old evo, it would have my exact location even when in a building. My EVO3D always has the blue circle around it in google maps. Like someone else said, it is not like a mile off or anything, but just 100ft or so. This is not so terrible, but when I was driving, it lost signal every few minutes. Thought maybe there were just some issues with GPS satellites in general, but my dads EVO4G still has those perfect locks.

I'm getting another 3D tomorrow because the one I have now has like 3 pinhole sized dots of light leakage near the buttons. So I am going to see how the GPS works before and after those initial updates