Phone Updated Itself

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
settings>system updates>htc software update

Between all the XDA threads and website articles like this Did Sprint's October 31st Network Updates Turn Out To Be Real? We're Seeing Massive Improvements In 3G Speeds In Some Areas - How About You? it seems like many are seeing massive data speed inprovements with this.

I had automatic updates turned off because I'm rooted and still got the update. Very odd indeed. I did notice that today when I took my son to the University of Kentucky for a campus visit we never lost service. Used Navigation the whole trip. Btw... My son very well may become a Wildcat ;)

Wiley_11

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I had automatic updates turned off because I'm rooted and still got the update. Very odd indeed. I did notice that today when I took my son to the University of Kentucky for a campus visit we never lost service. Used Navigation the whole trip. Btw... My son very well may become a Wildcat ;)

Congrats on your service & your future Wildcat!! :D I don't know what's up but my 6 speed tests since the mystery update have gone from 800k average to 1200k average. :confused: :cool:

onesie13

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site

Oh congrats on you're son. I'm rooted and running cleanrom and was forced this update as well. Maybe it's sprint beginning their transition of the 800 iden band to vision

michikade#AC

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I too got the weird update. I caught it at the end of the update cycle, and it looked like a profile update or prl update rather than a software update.

I haven't really noticed increased speeds or anything, yet. I also can't connect to 4G in most places my OG Evo could, but that is really neither here nor there in regards to this update (it was like that before the mystery update). I'm in Dallas, TX.

Sent from my EVO3D using Tapatalk

Goldenbrown

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site

You will also notice that even though it is not listed as an official WiMax city, Lexington Ky. has it and strongly at Uk.:)

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
So after coming home from Boston and testing out my signal at home I have noticed a faster download speed. So I'm liking this update so far. Then again it could just be me! :p

Rocking the HTC EVO 3D

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
Strange occurrence but apparently I am not alone. Woke my phone this AM to find a window that said that my phone was updated with an OK button. Just a heads up. I am rooted with updates turned off and it still happened. Wish I had taken a screen shot.

Here is a link to an xda discussion about this.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1327629

Fwiw, so far I haven't experienced any ill effects and there is speculation that it is a service update. Still very unusual though because generally you are prompted for updates and are given the opportunity to accept or decline. Never had something like this happen before.

I don't want to take this thread off topic, but I just wanted to know if its okay to update your phone if its Rooted? Or is that a no no? I haven't Rooted my phone yet, but from your thread it seemed like updating your Rooted phone using the normal update feature was something to stay away from. So I just wanted to ask to clarify.

Posted Using My Sprint HTC EVO3D Using Tapatalk -

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
This doesn't appear to be a typical update. As a rule of thumb if you are rooted, never accept an OTA. I am rooted on CleanROM_2.7 and merely woke up the other morning to find a window on my phone that said that my phone was updated. There was an OK button only, like it was a done deal. I was never prompted with the option to decline, the update just happened overnight. Some are speculating it was a pushed PRL and that may be the case, but in all my 9 years with Sprint I have never had that happen before. It also appears that this is not the same as the security update that HTC recently released. So, short answer, updating PRL and profile is OK but accepting any OTA updates can and most likely will close root. I was really bothered by the fact that the update was just automatically done and that there was no indication of what the update had actually done.

Reactions: the2ndflood

JKTex

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Is this the same Android update I did last night? Last night I went though checking for updates and there was an "HTC software update". It was 2.08.651.3.

Added a battery widget and it seems faster but that may have just been because it was rebooted. I haven't noticed anything else yet but I really haven't looked.

Mine's not rooted.

EDIT: Never mind. I guess I was a few days behind, until I manually checked for updates. :D

Last edited:

3Down

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I had the same window that morning when I woke up. I don't update as the one time I did was when Sprint sent out the wrong PRL update so I was surprised to say the least.
I just went through a round of emails with Sprint about not telling us what we're updating before hand. Apparently they really listened huh?
It's my phone, I should be the one to decide whether it gets updated or not & what updates if it does! How hard is it to list what will be updated before hand? I don't want my camera to make a shutter noise, for instance. So don't give me an update that will remove the option!
But I'm just ranting now.
I don't see any difference in anything since the update the other morning. I didn't click the ok button though, I rebooted the phone.

the2ndflood

Dec 18, 2010
Visit site
This doesn't appear to be a typical update. As a rule of thumb if you are rooted, never accept an OTA. I am rooted on CleanROM_2.7 and merely woke up the other morning to find a window on my phone that said that my phone was updated. There was an OK button only, like it was a done deal. I was never prompted with the option to decline, the update just happened overnight. Some are speculating it was a pushed PRL and that may be the case, but in all my 9 years with Sprint I have never had that happen before. It also appears that this is not the same as the security update that HTC recently released. So, short answer, updating PRL and profile is OK but accepting any OTA updates can and most likely will close root. I was really bothered by the fact that the update was just automatically done and that there was no indication of what the update had actually done.

Thanks for your help! But are AndroidOS software updates okay? I know your saying that updating the firmware isnt a good idea if your device is Rooted, but would an OS update cause harm to a Rooted device?

So if you can't download updates from Sprint or HTC, how do you update your software and firmware on Rooted phones? Aren't updates from HTC important?

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your help! But are AndroidOS software updates okay? I know your saying that updating the firmware isnt a good idea if your device is Rooted, but would an OS update cause harm to a Rooted device?

So if you can't download updates from Sprint or HTC, how do you update your software and firmware on Rooted phones? Aren't updates from HTC important?

Usually the devs will get an updated stock ROM out within a day or two of the update. Before I flashed CleanROM_2.7, I just flashed the updated stock ROM. That way I got the update but was still able to retain root. Updates, whether from Sprint or the manufacturer usually close root loopholes.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I had the same window that morning when I woke up. I don't update as the one time I did was when Sprint sent out the wrong PRL update so I was surprised to say the least.
I just went through a round of emails with Sprint about not telling us what we're updating before hand. Apparently they really listened huh?
It's my phone, I should be the one to decide whether it gets updated or not & what updates if it does! How hard is it to list what will be updated before hand? I don't want my camera to make a shutter noise, for instance. So don't give me an update that will remove the option!
But I'm just ranting now.
I don't see any difference in anything since the update the other morning. I didn't click the ok button though, I rebooted the phone.

I totally agree. I don't think rebooting the phone undid the update though. Since the message said that the phone was updated, the message was more of a confirmation that the phone had updated rather than an option to accept or decline it. Like it was already a done deal. I could be wrong though... Believe it or not I have been before! ;)