HTC Amaze 4G Camera ported to 3D (MUCH improved PQ)

Love Divine

Apr 24, 2011
Visit site
[MOD] HTCCamera from Amaze 4G(rooted stock rom ready,2048x1152/1920x1080 in 3D), v0.8 - xda-developers

Brought to you by XDA. This is pretty stunning. Using it right now and on auto settings it's delivering some really really nice shots. Absolutely destroys the auto setting pq from the stock camera, although I haven't tinkered around with this too much or compared a whole lot. Try it out, you'll be impressed.

Did I mention 1080p recording? Also 3mp 3D shots.

I suspected that a lot of improvements to the MyTouch/Amaze cameras were software related, and this seems to partially confirm this.

Last edited:

kennedy27403

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Do you have to be rooted to do this? Also, if I try the.apk file will it write over the stock camera or will there basically be two cameras to choose from?

VickMackey#AC

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
So far so good. Best this is i can now turn off the shutter sound. I'll have to give it a side by side test tomorrow to see if it's truly software or optics.

pretext

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
So far so good. Best this is i can now turn off the shutter sound. I'll have to give it a side by side test tomorrow to see if it's truly software or optics.

Please share the results from your test tomorrow. Would be interested in loading this also if the results are worth it.

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Installed and will do some testing. I am like others...I don't necessarily think it is the EVO 3D's camera itself that was at fault, only the default settings. I did notice that there are pre-set options in the Amaze 4G app for different situations/environment, like night-time shots, action shots, etc., which does show that for the best possible pictures, you really do have to change settings accordingly. The main difference here is that you aren't going into detailed settings, just some pre-set ones for each condition.

Thanks again, Love Devine, for the link!

kennedy27403

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
So far I'm liking it, but like others will have to do some testing.

One bad thing, even though the Amaze Camera has the option to turn the shutter sound on/off, it has brought back the shutter sound on my stock camera (I was lucky enough to have it off whenever that update that came through that stuck it in whatever mode you were currently in). Wondering if it will go away if I delete Amaze Camera? Of course if this one is better, I'll just use it as the default camera.

gonk24

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
I tried out the Amaze Camera this morning when dropping my daughter at school. I take a pic of her every morning at school and text it to my wife. I took several shots with both auto and portrait scenes. I have to say I'm not impressed. All the pics look dull and washed out. Now of course that's with presets so it's not really a fair comparison to the vibrant pics I get with my custom adjusted Evo3d camera. Guess I expected to be somewhat wowed by stock settings with the Amaze. When I get a chance I'll set up the Amaze to Mirror the 3D's setting and see what happens. One thing is for sure the Amaze camera ui and overall look are great

Chu700

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I tried to use androzip and it will unzip the file but when I try to install it still says not installed. I have downloaded the apk and extracted the files and tried to install multiple times. Also tried to free up space, I'm not sure if that's the cause of the problem but I really want to try out this camera.

cubetop

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Seems pretty neat. The 2048x1152apk did not work for me. It would open but when I took a pic, the screen would freeze and then the phone would dump to a white "htc" screen and then the home screen would come back. It wouldn't save the pic taken either. The 1920x1080 worked flawless for me. Better than the stock app? Hard to tell at work but I'll play with it more. Did anyone get the high res one working?

Also, if anyone is having problems installing this, there is an easy way. I'm not rooted or anything and am quite the idiot for stuff like this.

1) Go get Astro File Manager and install it to your phone.
2) Connect your phone to your computer and select "disk drive."
3) Download the .apk on your computer and then copy it to your SD Card.
4) Unselect "Disk Drive" so your SD Card works on your phone.
5) Open Astro File Manager and find the .apk you copied to the SD Card. (should look like a camera icon)
6) Tap the icon and select "Install"
7) Enjoy your new app!

If that doesn't work, make sure that your phone is set to allow apps from unknown sources under "Applications" in the "Settings" menu. Hope that helps someone. (I figured it out and I'm a dummy)

tommymsw

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
If you guys use Android Sync Manager Wifi... (free app) it is super easy to install apps this way. Just import the app into the program sfter you download it and on the next "sync" with your phone, it will install it. Plus it backs up all of your apps. I also find it useful simply as an app manager!

Thrillhouse617

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
So far I'm liking it, but like others will have to do some testing.

One bad thing, even though the Amaze Camera has the option to turn the shutter sound on/off, it has brought back the shutter sound on my stock camera (I was lucky enough to have it off whenever that update that came through that stuck it in whatever mode you were currently in). Wondering if it will go away if I delete Amaze Camera? Of course if this one is better, I'll just use it as the default camera.

Can you try to remove Amaze and let us know? I was also lucky enough to disable it before that update. I wonder if you install Amaze but just don't ever turn the shutter sound to off in that - if it will end up still re-enabling the stock sound

CarrieK

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I did get the higher resolution one to work with no errors at all, but I am rooted and downloaded the .zip file, not the .apk. Haven't done much testing yet but the UI is pretty impressive on it. Will see how the "action" setting does when I try to take pictures of my cat (who always insists on moving just when I'm about to get the perfect shot :p ). I've gotten some pretty good pictures of him with both the stock and the modded stock camera app I had installed but would like to compare with this one. Lol, I enjoy trying things like this!

Reactions: cubetop

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarthHONK