No internet access through WiFi after Evo3D upgrade to ICS

IPA_Thanks

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I really regret having upgraded to ICS

I stupidly clicked yes to accept this upgrade. I have been using WiFi with static ip with no problems at all, but now I can't access the internet using anything other than expensive 3G.

I managed to set up the static ip using the longclick and modify connection steps. Surprised to find new field to fill in, like Network Prefix Length. Had to google that and discovered that 24 is right and means 255.255.255.0 - hopefully I got that right. Also entered the static DNS addresses etc.

It connects to WiFi but all I can access is my router, nothing outside the LAN. Ping unsuccesful. It may not be a DNS issue for manually entering WAN ips in the browser doesn't help :( I should say that the router works fine for all my other devices, including a Sony android tablet.

Now switched DHCP on on the router and tried again, this time letting the Evo do all the configuration itself. Exactly the same result.

Anybody with similar problems? Very annoying. Has cost me hours of wasted time.
I would discourage upgrades to ICS unless you have a lot of time on your hands.

Hope you can help!

Best wishes

PS Not with Sprint but this was the only Evo3D forum I could find. Hope you can help

IPA_Thanks

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Tried everything I could think of but no success. However, checked another WiFi network at work and could access the internet with no problems on that one. To my surprise, everything worked on the home WiFi after that. Very odd as I haven't changed anything on the router and all other devices worked already - seems as if the problem corrected itself overnight. Bizarre. Could be the famous ICD "dropped WiFi" in action - I have no idea.;)

cile1977

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Tried everything I could think of but no success. However, checked another WiFi network at work and could access the internet with no problems on that one. To my surprise, everything worked on the home WiFi after that. Very odd as I haven't changed anything on the router and all other devices worked already - seems as if the problem corrected itself overnight. Bizarre. Could be the famous ICD "dropped WiFi" in action - I have no idea.;)

I have same issue. After successfull connection on my work wifi with dhcp I came home and everything worked with home static wifi. But day after i doesn't work again - and today I didn't use work wifi...

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
If you are using static IP, make sure you are using the correct gateway IP address. If your Wi-Fi access point is not the gateway (and is instead connected to the gateway using a separate connection), you will need to manually change the default gateway IP address in your phone's network setting.

If you default to using the access point's IP address as the gateway, you will have LAN access, but no WAN (internet) access - which seems to be the symptom that OP described. (looks like OP got it resolved)

cile1977

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I really regret having upgraded to ICS

I stupidly clicked yes to accept this upgrade. I have been using WiFi with static ip with no problems at all, but now I can't access the internet using anything other than expensive 3G.

I managed to set up the static ip using the longclick and modify connection steps. Surprised to find new field to fill in, like Network Prefix Length. Had to google that and discovered that 24 is right and means 255.255.255.0 - hopefully I got that right. Also entered the static DNS addresses etc.

It connects to WiFi but all I can access is my router, nothing outside the LAN. Ping unsuccesful. It may not be a DNS issue for manually entering WAN ips in the browser doesn't help :( I should say that the router works fine for all my other devices, including a Sony android tablet.

Now switched DHCP on on the router and tried again, this time letting the Evo do all the configuration itself. Exactly the same result.

Anybody with similar problems? Very annoying. Has cost me hours of wasted time.
I would discourage upgrades to ICS unless you have a lot of time on your hands.

Hope you can help!

Best wishes

PS Not with Sprint but this was the only Evo3D forum I could find. Hope you can help
Same problem here :(

cile1977

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
If you are using static IP, make sure you are using the correct gateway IP address. If your Wi-Fi access point is not the gateway (and is instead connected to the gateway using a separate connection), you will need to manually change the default gateway IP address in your phone's network setting.

If you default to using the access point's IP address as the gateway, you will have LAN access, but no WAN (internet) access - which seems to be the symptom that OP described. (looks like OP got it resolved)

Gateway is IP address of router and same setting worked on gingerbread on same HTC Evo 3D and it works on HTC Wildfire (my other phone). Here are my settings:
IP address: 192.168.31.225
Gateway: 192.168.31.28 (address of dsl router)
Network prefix length: 24
DNS1: 8.8.8.8
DNS2: 4.4.4.4

I can access everything in LAN but internet does not work. Yesterday I was connected on DHCP wifi at work and it worked without problem and when I came home, at my surprise, my static home network also worked (without changing anything). But today I was not connected to work wifi and when I came home I got same problem again :(

rethan

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
Here is what HTC said:

Thank you for contacting us,

In regards to your enquiry kindly be informed that we will be issuing an update for your phone. The update will be issued as soon as possible, once the update is released, you will be receiving a notification on your device stating that an update is available.
Also you can send your device for the repairs to be fixed.

Please note that you can contact us via support line . For further details, please go to https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...tp%3A%2F%2Fwww.htc.com%2Fuk%2F&token=8UmxEcb_, you'll find a toll free number that you can dial only from a landline.

Respect & Regards,

HTC Technical Support Team

Reactions: bigdave757

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Gateway is IP address of router and same setting worked on gingerbread on same HTC Evo 3D and it works on HTC Wildfire (my other phone). Here are my settings:
IP address: 192.168.31.225
Gateway: 192.168.31.28 (address of dsl router)
Network prefix length: 24
DNS1: 8.8.8.8
DNS2: 4.4.4.4

I can access everything in LAN but internet does not work. Yesterday I was connected on DHCP wifi at work and it worked without problem and when I came home, at my surprise, my static home network also worked (without changing anything). But today I was not connected to work wifi and when I came home I got same problem again :(

guess it really is a software bug then (per Rethan's previous post, you should be getting an update to fix this) - that's a bummer - can't believe the amount of time HTC takes to test the software and then miss something like this.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
guess it really is a software bug then (per Rethan's previous post, you should be getting an update to fix this) - that's a bummer - can't believe the amount of time HTC takes to test the software and then miss something like this.
Well you can test something as long as you want but 99.9% of the time there will still be errors in the end.

Different industry but it's a good example: Diablo 3. Blizzard developed it for 13 years and look at all the bugs it had upon release.

envoynv

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
How did you get the ICS update? I have 2.3.4 and it says there are no updates available. Unless you have it rooted.

rethan

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I am in South Africa, ICS what released for Africa and another country, i am non rooted.

Just keep checking they will release it soon.

jj14x

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Well you can test something as long as you want but 99.9% of the time there will still be errors in the end.

Different industry but it's a good example: Diablo 3. Blizzard developed it for 13 years and look at all the bugs it had upon release.

True - but commonly used features like static IP/DHCP should not have issues. Obscure and rarely used features may end up with issues. But common ones that would prevent users from connecting to a wifi network are really a bad sign.

thanga.pillai

Jul 23, 2012
Visit site
Wifi internet access after ics update:

I struggled with the same issue for almost 4 days and finally figured it out. Set the subnet mask to 32 (255.255.255.255) instead of 24 (255.255.255.0) and set the static ip as always and it works :cool:

mhn_brn

Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
Wifi internet access after ics update:

I struggled with the same issue for almost 4 days and finally figured it out. Set the subnet mask to 32 (255.255.255.255) instead of 24 (255.255.255.0) and set the static ip as always and it works :cool:

thanks thanga. changing the subnet to 32 worked for me. (note: after changing the subnet i restarted the phone then turned wifi off and back on and internet worked ok after that). i'm not sure why 32 worked since my subnet is 255.255.0.0 but it's working.

thanks,
brian