EVO 3D or Bionic?

EVO 3D or Bionic?

• Total voters

KnappyRootz

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
So I've been a longtime Sprint customer and I'll try to keep this short, and I'm sorry if this thread already exists.

I'm in a predicament lol.

With the Bionic still not out I'm conflicted on whether to leave Sprint for the Bionic and cough up the extra $30-40 a month for Verizon service or wait for the EVO 3D. I currently pay like $46 a month + taxes (SERO plan with BlackBerry pack currently). At this rate it looks like they could be released within a very similar time frame (give or take a month).

Will Verizon's LTE be the better long-term 4G solution? Better/faster than WiMax? In more areas?

I do like HTC's software a bit better from what I've seen so far (I know its personal preference).

What's everyone think? Lol, I know it will ultimately lie on me. I guess my real question is, which will be the better long-term solution LTE or WiMax as I will most likely get a two year contract with either.

I'd appreciate any input! With a work discount unfortunately Verizon service would be like $70 a month. :-(

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
So I've been a longtime Sprint customer and I'll try to keep this short, and I'm sorry if this thread already exists.

I'm in a predicament lol.

With the Bionic still not out I'm conflicted on whether to leave Sprint for the Bionic and cough up the extra $30-40 a month for Verizon service or wait for the EVO 3D. I currently pay like $46 a month + taxes (SERO plan with BlackBerry pack currently). At this rate it looks like they could be released within a very similar time frame (give or take a month).

Will Verizon's LTE be the better long-term 4G solution? Better/faster than WiMax? In more areas?

I do like HTC's software a bit better from what I've seen so far (I know its personal preference).

What's everyone think? Lol, I know it will ultimately lie on me. I guess my real question is, which will be the better long-term solution LTE or WiMax as I will most likely get a two year contract with either.

I'd appreciate any input! With a work discount unfortunately Verizon service would be like $70 a month. :-(

It's hard to say for sure but lte is being adopted by more carriers.

Sprint has also said they can switch to lte very easily (but you'll probably need a new phone, nobody knows for sure).

I also wouldn't bet on wimax going away overnight. It'll be around for a while. If you have both in your area then save some money and stay with sprint.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
Sprint has been flirting with LTE as well from what I have read on the interwebs.

First question to you is of course whether or not either of the two carriers already have 4G in your area. If they don't, network speed might be a mute point, because if you live out in the sticks, you might not get it for another 2 years.

The speed advantage that Verizon currently has is due to the overall greater bandwidth of LTE, and of course the fact that hardly anyone is using their LTE network so far, just a bunch of USB modems and whoever thought it was a good idea to buy a Thunderbolt (bad decision in my opinion seeing how it uses a last gen Snapdragon, last gen gpu, has a tiny battery and overall is just a slightly better Evo 4G).

Sprint on the other hand has quite a few devices running on their network, however, them being a smaller company with a smaller subscriber base might not stress their network as much as what Verizon will potentially have to serve up to their data sucking future devices, namely any LTE Android phone and most likely the iPhone 5. But who knows how that will really pan out, I am just theorizing here.

The Bionic is a nice phone, but it does have a smaller screen and less ram. It's basically the Atrix on AT&T with less memory. My buddy has an Atrix, and the smaller screen combined with the high res display does make things look rather tiny. The Evo 3d of course has the bigger screen, same qHD resolution, and the added feature of 3d, which might be a gimmick to some, loads of fun to others. As far as performance goes, since the Evo 3d will have more ram, it has a slight advantage there, eventhough I do believe it has less internal storage than the Bionic, not sure on that one though. Then there is the battle of Tegra 2 vs Snapdragon 2 with Adreno 220 gpu. This alone should make you want to wait until both phones are close to release and we have seen some more benchmarks to see if one phone significantly outdoes the other. All in all, I think they will be pretty similar in performance.

You mentioned you like HTC Sense, so in that case you should like the new version of Sense that comes on the Evo 3d even more which is yet another win for the Evo.

But, I think in your case your first concern should be how the two carriers stack up in your neck of the woods. If they are pretty equal, Evo 3d, hands down. If sprint sucks, go to big red.

By the way, Sprint will probably force you to upgrade plans, not sure if they will accept your current one, so don't cash in those extra 30 to 40 bucks a month quite yet.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Bobby J.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
On a practical level, unless you're unhappy with Sprint service, why would you walk over to Verizon and pay $300 more a year? Is the Bionic possibly $300 better than the Evo 3D?

For me, the disparity in plan pricing between Sprint and Verizon makes this one a no-brainer.

trooper54

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
lol, you think users in the evo 3D forum will vote for the bionic? =P

But spec wise, i say they are very fairly matched... However i do enjoy sprints plans and pricing more, even though i have no 4G here in San Diego...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeneralCaveman216