*HTC Rider or HTC Evo 3D?*

ZDK

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Peace All,

With the recent "leaks" of the HTC Kingdom and HTC Rider, it is obviously clear that the HTC Rider belongs to the "Evo Family" due to its capacitive buttons at the button of the screen. Do you think its possible that Sprint will get the HTC Rider (which appears to be very similar to the HTC Sensation) as an alternative for those that dont like 3-D? If so I think that would be the phone for me --3D is so gimmicky. The Evo "line" has brought Sprint its greatest success like the "Droid" line did for Verizon. Withe the Rider as an alternative would make the Evo Family complete with a variety of choices.
On a side note: every phone that has came out in the past year has attempted to copy off the success of the Evo---like AT&T=Inspire; Verizon=Thunderbolt; Tmo=Sensation. The Evo is the prototype for them all.

sprinttouch

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
well, I don't have any hard facts to go off of but Its unlikely HTC would release something like the sensation or a 3dless Evo 3D anytime soon because that would cannibalize their own sales. I'm putting my money on the Rider just being the code name for the gsm version of the Evo 3D, it looks almost identical. About the Kingdom I'm not sure at all. HTC said they were releasing a phone w/ NFC later this year and they described it as "slightly above the sensation" so maybe thats the Kingdom?

p.s. why does everyone dislike the Evo 3d because of the 3d? you do realize that if you don't go out of your way to download 3d content or switch to 3d recording you wont ever realize the phone has 3d capabilities right?

Last edited:

MikeBinOK

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
p.s. why does everyone dislike the Evo 3d because of the 3d? you do realize that if you don't go out of your way to download 3d content or switch to 3d recording you wont ever realize the phone has 3d capabilities right?

I resent the 3d because adding the 3d capability takes up volume and resources that could be used for non-gimmicky things such as a larger battery, or even a kickstand (though some people, not including me, think the kickstand was a gimmick).

I'll still buy the phone, but I wish it made better use of the volume!

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I resent the 3d because adding the 3d capability takes up volume and resources that could be used for non-gimmicky things such as a larger battery, or even a kickstand (though some people, not including me, think the kickstand was a gimmick).

The Kickstand WAS a gimmick... one that I never imagined I'd use as often as I do! It was the most visually distinctive feature of the phone (besides the humongous screen everyone salivated at). Even though I will have lots of fun with the 3d camera, I think if I could, I'd trade in the 3D features for a more updated kickstand...

EMT J

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site

There is a larger battery, that's why there's no kickstand. Supposedly they will sell a case with a kickstand though. The specs make the 3D a killer whether it had 3D capability or not. If the whole UI was 3D I'd call it a gimmick, but being that It only applies to taking pix and vids and its optional I see it as a cool bonus feature. It's not something I have to use.

I don't believe it makes or breaks the phone. For example The current Evo can play live wallpapers and can search, navigate and write text messages by me talking to it. Are they cool features to have? Sure, do I use them regularly? No. Would the phone still be great without them? Definitely. I feel the same way about 3D on the upcoming Evo, its nice to have but really doesn't matter.

Reactions: sprinttouch

EMT J

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Peace All,

With the recent "leaks" of the HTC Kingdom and HTC Rider, it is obviously clear that the HTC Rider belongs to the "Evo Family" due to its capacitive buttons at the button of the screen. Do you think its possible that Sprint will get the HTC Rider (which appears to be very similar to the HTC Sensation) as an alternative for those that dont like 3-D? If so I think that would be the phone for me --3D is so gimmicky. The Evo "line" has brought Sprint its greatest success like the "Droid" line did for Verizon. Withe the Rider as an alternative would make the Evo Family complete with a variety of choices.
On a side note: every phone that has came out in the past year has attempted to copy off the success of the Evo---like AT&T=Inspire; Verizon=Thunderbolt; Tmo=Sensation. The Evo is the prototype for them all.
Dont like 3D? Don't use it, there's a switch for it that allows u to use it at ur discretion. U never have to turn it on if u don't want to. I Dont see whats not to like about it being that its an optional feature, but we're all entitled to our own opinions. Not trying to fuss or criticize.

As far as it being gimmicky, everything is a gimmick until it catches on. Camera phones were a gimmick when first introduced, now just about all phones except really low end ones have a camera. Last year the front facing camera on the Evo was a gimmick, now it's basically standard on high end phones lol. HD TVs, CD's, DVDs, mp3 players, portable video game systems and lots of other new things were considered gimmicks at their inception but are pretty mainstream now. I feel the same thing will eventually happen with 3D.

More and more portable media is becoming available (movies, games, sports etc) and people want to be able to utilize them on the go with the same quality as they'd get @ home.
I remember how great the first color cell phones were about ten years ago, now We have HD screens on phones. I think 3D is the just the logical progression of technology. There are 3D TVs, and it's just a matter of time before those get more mainstream. In my opinion once that happens, the technology will eventually make its way to the mobile world.

crgrapid

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
i agree with the OP, i also see tghe 3d as more of a gimick and if there was an alternitive on sprint that didnt have 3D with the same 1.2 dual core, 1 gb ram, etc i would go with the alternative also

its not about i have the option to not use it, i think they could have used that space to maximize on the speed/power of the device

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non