Display/Clock on while charging?

acf3passion

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
I miss this the most about Blackberry. Whenever it's charging, it puts on a nice dim clock on permanently, which I can use it as a night clock / alarm.

Is there a way for Evo 3D to not turn off display while charging?

[edit]
Actually, Evo 3D DOES have a stock dock app that REMAINS ON if you launch it. The problem is that it's only auto-launched when docked into a 'real dock', not just the charging cable (looked everywhere in its options).

That's a big oversight. It's REAL simple to trigger for cable charging too.

Last edited:

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I think under the "clock" application it has a desk clock setting. It will dim the screen and stay on while charging I believe.

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I miss this the most about Blackberry. Whenever it's charging, it puts on a nice dim clock on permanently, which I can use it as a night clock / alarm.

[edit]
Actually, Evo 3D DOES have a stock dock app that REMAINS ON if you launch it. The problem is that it's only auto-launched when docked into a 'real dock', not just the charging cable (looked everywhere in its options).

But I don't see why they could not include an option for the dock to pop up for any usb connection.

lamonicaj

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site

[edit]

If you go to the clock application....towards the bottom there is a half moon & star in one icon....in the other one is a computer screen with a clock. If you press the computer screen with the clock, it will display the current time & in small print the date & alarm setting. If you have the USB plugged in, then it will act as an alarm clock.

You can also go to dock mode (you can play pics, videos & music)....as long as you have the USB plugged in....your display will stay on.

Hope this helps some.

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
You could always do this from the Home screen:

Menu > Settings > Applications > Development > Stay awake

That will keep the phone awake while charging. You can still turn off the screen with the Standby/Power button.

Reactions: lamonicaj

acf3passion

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
If you go to the clock application....towards the bottom there is a half moon & star in one icon....in the other one is a computer screen with a clock. If you press the computer screen with the clock, it will display the current time & in small print the date & alarm setting. If you have the USB plugged in, then it will act as an alarm clock.

You can also go to dock mode (you can play pics, videos & music)....as long as you have the USB plugged in....your display will stay on.

Hope this helps some.

It does. But I wish the clock would turn on by itself by plugging in (just like BB).

lobohorn

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
display lock is there but its in the weirdest place ever if you don't want to have a dock if you just want ur screen to be dim but keep the basic screen you have to go into the aplications menu in the settings then to development and it should be the stay awake option just click the checkmark and there you go

happy day to everyone and hope i helped for people who didn't like the dock stock application

strat1227

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Tasker ;)

I love Tasker, best app out there by far

Make a profile for conditions "Charging" (Can specify USB or Wall Outlet or both, depending on what you want), and set the task to keep display on dim, keep display on, and auto-launch dock mode.

Boom, done.

EDIT: You can also make it display a pop-up when you plug in if you prefer, asking if you want to go into dock mode or not (I personally plug mine in while using it more than half the time, so having it auto-dock would be annoying, so I'd make the pop up if anything)

joelkamp

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I agree this is something I really miss coming from other phones. Even my old dumbphones from 8yrs ago did this. This seems to be a pretty basic function that HTC, and android has missed. There are a few apps that perform this type of function, try night stand Bold (free) or Digital nightstand (pay version has usb start option). Personally I prefer a more stock looking options but both these apps do the job.