PSA: Do Not Accept the OTA if You Are Rooted

gmtom1

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Same here - I'm rooted only, using the original one-click method & just tried the OTA update and got the red triangle ! error. Rebooted and it doesn't seem that the update was applied. Going to try unroot now and update again.

gmtom1

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Same here - I'm rooted only, using the original one-click method & just tried the OTA update and got the red triangle ! error. Rebooted and it doesn't seem that the update was applied. Going to try unroot now and update again.

Ok, still no luck applying the OTA with unroot. It must be checking against the tampered warning. Looks like I'll need to do a full RUU or wait until someone smarter than me figures out how to get the OTA applied. Anyone know if I use the RUU method to return to stock, will that break my Wallet secure element?

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Here's some sage advice from EarlyMon, a mod over at Android Forums. Quoted directly, with his permission, from this thread, because he says it so much better than I ever could.

I would personally advise against any OTA updates, regardless of method.

If this OTA does mess with the bootloader, then I think that many will rue the day they avoided this warning.

Once upon a time it was an inviolate rule of rooting - never, never, never accept an OTA. The "accept OTA/re-root/try-to-preserve root" school is one I'll never accept - look at the 1.5 year history of people doing it and right after declaring victory, crying that they're stuck until new exploits can be found.

The s-off unlocking of the bootloader expects a specific exploit - will it remain? The Regaw one-click goes through HTC anonymously selecting "other supported device" - with that still work with this bootloader?

Your mileage may vary, do as you all think best.

No one has ever been jammed up following the "just wait, don't accept the OTA advice" - ever. Plenty of those who went the other way lived to regret it.

PS from the OTA Rootkeeper page -

The application doesn't support original Superuser and not SuperSU for a very simple reason. The same feature OTA protection feature is already present in SuperSU.

All of us here are already using SuperSU, so - what's the point of playing with that?

Second PS - No one has ever once regretting following my rooting advice in over two years. I feel like a dork for putting it that way, but I really want to stress the importance of giving this a day or two to sort out.

Confirmed with a big tip of the topper to Sgt. Slaughter (AF member, XDA mod and a friend to all) -

new hboot 1.15.000 inside

We're all on 1.12.xxxx now (1.12.2222 for those staying current).

Reactions: crxssi

alvin319

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
If you are just rooted to use wifi tether, for example, can you apply the OTA update and use RootKeeper to get it back?

This is what I did with no issues.

I am rooted with stock recovery and unlocked with s-on.

I applied the OTA with no issues and used Root Keeper to regain root.

I am not telling everyone to try this but it worked for me. I have been rooting my phones for five years now.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Central Forums

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
This is what I did with no issues.

I am rooted with stock recovery and unlocked with s-on.

I applied the OTA with no issues and used Root Keeper to regain root.

I am not telling everyone to try this but it worked for me. I have been rooting my phones for five years now.

So if I'm rooted but my bootloader is locked, how do you suggest I get this update?

Just curious.

See method alvin posted directly above your post. Seems to work for some, not so much for others. YRMV, try at own risk, yada yada yada

I haven't had a chance to spend much time over at XDA yet to see what's what with this OTA and figure out the best method(s) to accept it if you're rooted.

Just trying to put tried-and-true common sense out there.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

Dragon7507

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Well, I tried using Root Keeper, got the bad ! when it shut down. Silly me, I went and flashed RUU and then downloaded the update. Following that I went to go re-root and doh! The root method doesn't work anymore. So, anyone, if you see on XDA before I do about how to root after the update, please let me know.

mendyonline

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have an update to get rooted? The method that I used after the OTA update does not work anymore.

I had to use RUU unroot and am stuck now without root.

eerongal

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Being rooted and being unlocked with a custom recovery are two wildly different things.

If you are rooted but not unlocked, go ahead and take the OTA and just reroot. It's not like you can just flash anything anyway if you only have root access.

If you are unlocked and rooted then wait for a flashable .zip of the update or wait for your favorite ROM to be updated.

This right here.

Rooting, JUST rooting, shouldn't generally cause much issue with an OTA. If you have anything BEYOND that, then your OTA is likely to not work.

Now, that being said, if you DON'T know what you're doing, and your phone is rooted (which i dont recommend, really), then you should err on the side of caution and not accept the OTA. Simply because there may be more than meets the eye to your "just rooted" phone, and you may be unaware of it, so the advice of "Don't accept OTA's when rooted" is relatively valid advice.

Granted, as has been mentioned, the worst i've ever seen it do is that the OTA just fails, which carries with it really no problems. Still, better safe than sorry, i suppose.

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Well, I tried using Root Keeper, got the bad ! when it shut down. Silly me, I went and flashed RUU and then downloaded the update. Following that I went to go re-root and doh! The root method doesn't work anymore. So, anyone, if you see on XDA before I do about how to root after the update, please let me know.

Does anyone have an update to get rooted? The method that I used after the OTA update does not work anymore.

I had to use RUU unroot and am stuck now without root.

What root methods did you try to use that failed?

It's looking like the old root exploits do not work with the update. Best bet is to hold tight and wait for a new root method to be released.

Those that used rootkeeper: can you confirm that root was in fact retained? Root apps work, gain root directory access in file explorer, mount sys r/w, enable su in terminal emulator, etc...

alvin319

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

It's looking like the old root exploits do not work with the update. Best bet is to hold tight and wait for a new root method to be released.

Those that used rootkeeper: can you confirm that root was in fact retained? Root apps work, gain root directory access in file explorer, mount sys r/w, enable su in terminal emulator, etc...

Yes, all apps that require root are working just fine.

Now I did have Root Keeper installed and my root backed up before I ran OTA. If you don't make a backup with Root Keeper first then you won't be able to reroot after OTA.

chud

Jun 16, 2011
Visit site
Anyone that is trying to grab the OTA and thinks they are just rooted, check your bootloader for the TAMPERED banner.

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Anyone that is trying to grab the OTA and thinks they are just rooted, check your bootloader for the TAMPERED banner.

***TAMPERED*** = rooted
***UNLOCKED*** = unlocked

If you're rooted and unlocked, you'll see both at the top of the bootloader.

JayMunOne

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
I rooted with zedomax method, but that's all I've done, so I can force roam with roam control at work. Not smart enough to do anything else.

Once a new root method is found on the new OTA, what is my next step?

1. Unroot the zedomax method using SuperSU to permanently unroot, then install the OTA and follow directions to whatever new root method is?

Or...

2. Just install the OTA and reroot using new method?

Pardon my ignorance, I'm just not sure what the proper thing to do is.

Sent from my HTC EVO 4G LTE using Android Central Forums

Dragon7507

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site

I used the method from HTCevohacks.com. It was a one click batch file to run that they created. Unfortunately it gets permission denied after updating. I also tied rerunning the RUU but alas, that fails also. I guess I am stuck waiting for an updated method.

In the mean time though, what root keeper is everyone using? I tried running Voodoo OTA Root Keeper and did not have good results as you can see.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non