PSA: Do Not Accept the OTA if You Are Rooted

ReproOne

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Used root keeper, not sure what you mean by settings, but I lost nothing but root.
I was wondering if unroot caused you to loose settings such as the way your phone was customized or the apps.

I've tried to run the update from using unroot via RootKeeper, but my OTA does not run. It comes up with a boot menu.

kbp08tls

Apr 28, 2012
Visit site
Guys, what's the big rush? The only reason to drop everything and get this OTA is if you just have to have Google Wallet functioning within the next couple of days. Otherwise, being in a rush to "fix" something that is not broken is generally not the wisest course of action. I've been running the rooted updated stock ROM all day, and trust me, there is nothing earth-shattering that would make me say "OMG you have to run this immediately!"

If you want to keep root because you need something like tethering or force roam or like to use TiBu or whatever, you have two options (assuming you haven't screwed yourself by running the OTA):
1. Enjoy what you have and wait for a proven root method on the new software
2. Bite the bullet and run RegawMOD Rooter to achieve FULL ROOT and get yourself out of this rooted but no recovery or unlock purgatory.
a. Yes this will perform a full wipe and factory reset, so back all your stuff up first b. Once done, you will have root, unlocked bootloader, and TWRP recovery. AKA FULL ROOT. c. Now you can download the updated, rooted, stock ROM from here. d. Go into recovery:
1.) Hold down the power button and select "Power Off." 2.) Once completely powered down, boot into the bootloader by holding Power+Vol Down until a white screen comes up (you may have to do it a couple of times) 3.) Verify that you have root + unlock by seeing ***TAMPERED*** and ***UNLOCKED*** at the top of this screen 4.) Push Vol Down to select recovery, then power to select 5.) Once TWRP comes up, tap backup, and then swipe to back up your current set up. This is referred to as a Nand, and can be used to restore your setup any time you might mess something up 6.) When done backing up, tap wipe, then wipe cache and Dalvik cache 7.) Back in the main menu, tap install, and navigate to where the ROM downloaded to, select it, then swipe to confirm flash 8.) Reboot system, restore apps, your setup, and whatever else

OR you could follow the method here at XDA. I personally do not recommend it as fool-proof, but include it here as an option. Read the whole thread before trying. If you don't understand what's going on, don't try it. If you understand and/or you are on the adventurous side and just can't wait, give it a go. Just don't post here if you have issues with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: sandrshe

slushpupie

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
How did you unroot? I cannot get the update to run.

If you are wanting to apply the update, and are willing to loose root (at least for now), chances are the update does not apply because you modified your /system/build.prop . Just put that file back to the original (it must have a SHA1 of 997caadaee8a287ae6ab1fa1f9dbfb7c61a054d4) . The update checks the SHA1 of all 429 files it patches before starting, if any of them dont match it bails out.

I fixed up my build.prop back to the original (copy from a stock ROM, whitespace matters) and the update applied fine. Root was broken (of course) and Im ok with that for now.

Reactions: ghostknyght

rockyjay

May 16, 2010
Visit site
If you are wanting to apply the update, and are willing to loose root (at least for now), chances are the update does not apply because you modified your /system/build.prop . Just put that file back to the original (it must have a SHA1 of 997caadaee8a287ae6ab1fa1f9dbfb7c61a054d4) . The update checks the SHA1 of all 429 files it patches before starting, if any of them dont match it bails out.

I fixed up my build.prop back to the original (copy from a stock ROM, whitespace matters) and the update applied fine. Root was broken (of course) and Im ok with that for now.

Could you possibly post some step by step directions. I'm not a complete newb, but like directions so I don't completely screw things up.

slushpupie

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
There isnt much as far as directions go, you just need to put your build.prop back to the original. Fastest way is to just undo any edits you did or restore from backup (you made backups, right?) Next option is to copy it from from some stock ROM.

Holley2583

May 6, 2011
Visit site
OK, HTC EVO 4G, was rooted, used revolutionary, and s-off. I accidentally allowed the 2.3.3 update. I am nolonger rooted, or have superuser, but i still have hboot and s-off. When I reboot holding volume down I see:
-revolutionary
supersonice EVT3 Ship s-off
HBOOT-6.16.1002
TOUCH PANEL-ATMELCO3_16ac
RADIO-2.15.00.05.02
mAR 8 2011
CHOICES ARE:
FASTBOOT
RECOVERY
CLEAR STORAGE
SIMLOCK
HBOOT USB

Do I need to just find a ROM that works with 2.3.3 and reinstal superuser?
I don't think I'm rooted anymore because I can't use tether, but i'm not sure if that's because superuser isn't allowing it or not.
Please help guide me to get back to root and access superuser so I can tether...that's all I need.
I shouldn't use the recovery option listed I'm assuming. Perhaps backup my sd card now and possibly this [Recovery] [09-Feb-2011] RA-supersonic-v2.3 - xda-developers as an updated ROM, then update SU-2.3.6.3 zip to update superuser or do I need to re-root too?

I appreciate any help...thanks

ghostknyght

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site

Sweet, this is the advice that I've been looking for, for the past 3 days. My setup is HTC Dev unlocked, rooted, TWRP recovery and stock rom. I do all of my rom stuff with my 3D. I wanted to get the OTA update, because....why not? I use my phone for my job so I cant really fool with it as much as I would like. Even more so when someone posted over on XDA that voodoOTA preserved their root.

TL;DR Thanks for the suggestion on changing back to the stock build prop. I was getting the angry ! whilst trying to upgrade.

davidolas

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
My phone was unlocked, is now relocked and unrooted, it still will not update, I put stock recovery back on and still won't update, please help

davidolas

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Can u tell me how to do this PLEASE help, stock relocjed bootloader and and unrooted now
But will not install ota, I agree please post a step by step thank you, or can someone make a video on how to thank you

Last edited:

bpdamas

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
My phone was unlocked, is now relocked and unrooted, it still will not update, I put stock recovery back on and still won't update, please help

If you are trying to install the OTA update without s-off you will lose root. If you are okay losing root (to each their own) then there still is a way to install it. Unfortunately, you have to have all the stock files on the phone as well as the same build.prop. To get the stock files back on the phone please see this thread. It worked for me and I was able to install the OTA update. Since I was s-off and they didn't write the secure flag to ON I was able to maintain root.

[SOLVED] Can't Install Update Due To Uninstalling System App - xda-developers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasIndia