Sprint data very slow, as well as 4G LTE signal updates in CA Bay Area (testing area)

charlesspivak1

May 5, 2010
Visit site
So I've noticed this week that the already slow 3G has been even MORE dreadfully slow since Monday. I'm in San Jose, CA (Bay Area) where 3G is seemingly compared to dial up speeds (ok exaggerating but damn it's slow), and now it's to a crawl. I heard a bit about a data line being physically cut (?) that is affecting the West Coast, and that may be affecting things, though nothing was specific as to which exact cities. I can only hope that they fix it so that it can be the same slow it was before, and not the slowness it is right now. Patheticness. Anyone experiencing this as well?

On a lighter note, for those of you who live by or are willing to travel to the Santa Clara Sprint store area by Lawrence and Stevens Creek, they are currently testing 4G within about a 3-4 mile radius of the store or so. I found out by accident, having gone into the store and seeing the demo phones connected to 4G LTE signal, and asked about it. They had to do some funky stuff for my phone (and my gf's Evo) to pick it up (re-activate?) but it worked and it was grand. Down/Up speeds were something like 10mbps/9mbps both ways, and did NOT seem to suck the life out of my battery (more than usual) when playing with it for a half hour. They didn't say how long they will be testing, but if you can, I recommend checking it out.

LegacyEvoAce

May 29, 2012
Visit site
San Jo is not part of the bay not culturally or geographically...

With that said you are complaining about lte that is not even up yet which is nothing short of a very dumb thing to do.
Example: I buy a burger at mcdonalds before they are done heating it I grab it take a bite then say it taste like crap...

3g Speeds vary depending on where you go but yes they are slow up here in the bay and throughout cali that will change obviously as they finish upgrading their network. When things are being worked on they either don't work at all or they are slow as hell.

Lastly why can I type crap but I can't type removed by moderator? That makes no sense at all. (Mod care to answer?)

Last edited by a moderator:

charlesspivak1

May 5, 2010
Visit site
San Jo is not part of the bay not culturally or geographically...

With that said you are complaining about lte that is not even up yet which is nothing short of a very dumb thing to do.
Example: I buy a burger at mcdonalds before they are done heating it I grab it take a bite then say it taste like crap...

3g Speeds vary depending on where you go but yes they are slow up here in the bay and throughout cali that will change obviously as they finish upgrading their network. When things are being worked on they either don't work at all or they are slow as hell.

Lastly why can I type crap but I can't type $hit? That makes no sense at all. (Mod care to answer?)

Did you even read my post?

Ok first of all, I have lived in the Bay Area for all of my life (a pretty long time), and I know for a fact that San Jose is considered part of the Bay Area, in California. Check your facts homie San Francisco Bay Area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia If you don't live here, then I don't expect you to be an expert on what areas are considered the Bay Area. But before you speak about it, you might want to have read a thing or two and educate yourself.

Second off, I was NOT...repeat NOT complaining about 4G LTE not working yet, I was stating that the already slow 3G data signal was considerably slower this week, with a theory that from a story I read earlier this week about a cut data line was affecting things on the West Coast. Yes, I know they are working on the 3G data throughput (as well as building up more towers to support 4G LTE eventually), and I know not to expect miracles as of yet, that is NOT what I was talking about. THEN, when I mentioned the 4G LTE signal, it was to let people know they could go to an area, IN THE BAY AREA, to check it out on their Evo's, and was NOT complaining about this, in fact promoting it as something for people to check out.

I don't know if your whole response was just trying to mess with me, but it wasn't funny. And If the moderator is going to answer a question, more than likely it would be whether to even keep your response here, NOT an answer to your inane and quite fruitless question about cursing on these forums. Consider me quite pissed. Not flaming...just pissed. Maybe you're a nice educated guy IRL, but your response speaks otherwise.

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
He's just trolling, just ignore him. Cool to hear that they're testing out LTE, unfortunately I don't live in CA, so I can't enjoy it. Where, I live, we had awful 3g for about a month, than it improved, I think they were upgrading the towers and were using a backup for the time being. Ride it out and hopefully it will improve.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

HULKchampion

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I live in San Jose too. From my experience 3g (4g wimax with the original EVO) was affected by the weather and today was quite gloomy with scatter showers. Could it just be me though?

charlesspivak1

May 5, 2010
Visit site
He's just trolling, just ignore him. Cool to hear that they're testing out LTE, unfortunately I don't live in CA, so I can't enjoy it. Where, I live, we had awful 3g for about a month, than it improved, I think they were upgrading the towers and were using a backup for the time being. Ride it out and hopefully it will improve.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Android Central Forums

Yea I figured he was...just got under my skin a bit.

I know (or at least I heard) they're currently upgrading the towers close by where I actually live in SJ, and it's been really bad for a little while now (have had to use Airaves for years), but I have confidence they'll get it fixed eventually.

charlesspivak1

May 5, 2010
Visit site
I live in San Jose too. From my experience 3g (4g wimax with the original EVO) was affected by the weather and today was quite gloomy with scatter showers. Could it just be me though?

Hmm...I was thinking it might be the weather as well, maybe mixed together with the issues of a data line being cut and affecting the West Coast. It's always more than what they tell us ;)

HULKchampion

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Not necessary crying. More of educating the people with geographic location of the city, so next time till they won't look stupid in front of other people.

Last edited:

thebizz

phone addict
Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I don't live on cali but I know that right now sprint is working on the tower that my phone connects to while at home. For the first few days data was horrendous but now that their almost complete I get better data speeds and can now pick up LTE in my living room. But then again their are some areas that I don't think they've touched yet and the 3g might as well be non existent their was no data working at all. Hope they fix it soon because it sucks to have a smartphone with slow data speeds

Va1ha11a

Troll Headhunter
Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Yea I figured he was...just got under my skin a bit.

I know (or at least I heard) they're currently upgrading the towers close by where I actually live in SJ, and it's been really bad for a little while now (have had to use Airaves for years), but I have confidence they'll get it fixed eventually.
Yup, I get awful 3g at home, have to use an airave as well.

Alright, to everyone: You're really arguing about whether or not San Jose is in the Bay area? Just let it go! This is an android forum, stuff like that doesn't matter. Stop this now before it gets any worse. We are talking about lte being tested in San Jose, regardless of whether it is in the Bay Area. Let's get this thread back on topic and stop arguing.

chapy008

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I've found 4G in Fremont near the lake and by the coliseum Bart station. But since they're testing it's fleeting.

I've clocked speeds as fast as 9 down and 10 up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez