Google Nav crashing since jb update

ay

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Found the update last night and used it twice this morning. Crashed both times. :mad:

Not sure why Google can NOT get this basic function down on our phones.

That's strange....I used it extensively today after upgrading this morning, and it didn't crash on me at all for the first time in ages....The only issue I have with the upgraded is that even though screen dimming during navigation rarely worked for me at all, it now no longer seems to be an option under the newer version of maps.

tivoboy

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I've had it a couple days, and it seems to work fine. also, i don't have the battery problem that I used to have, (draining battery - so I always had to remove the "update") and now it doesn't SEEM to be draining unnecessarily.

captain_dl

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
The Google Maps update seems to have fixed the crashing issue for me as well. My only issue now is that the map seems to be redrawing the streets causing screen flicker while moving.

ay

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
The Google Maps update seems to have fixed the crashing issue for me as well. My only issue now is that the map seems to be redrawing the streets causing screen flicker while moving.

Yes, this issue occurs for me as well, to varying degrees - sometimes it's worse, sometimes not so bad.

boo5ted

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed that before the update if I clicked on a contact's address it would open in Maps. Now when I click the address, it does nothing. :-/

IlliniDawg01

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
What do people like better with Google Nav vs TeleNav?

I just ask because Google Nav always gives me the shortest distance route with no way to select the fastest route (unless was added, haven't used it in a while). In some cases this can be a pretty big discrepancy in travel time as Google Nav will often send you across 25-30 miles of surface streets when you could add four or five miles and be almost all highway.

Just an FYI, I have had this problem with my Evo LTE since the JB update as well. I have been using Scout (well not using it since I don't like it). This Wednesday I was alerted to a new Google Maps update by the Play Store. I downloaded it and tried 3D Navigation just to prove it doesn't work... and low and behold it works! Finally!

There is some flashing of the overlays on the screen (as someone else mentioned in this thread), but it is minimal. That is probably related to the fix since the 3D part of the navigation is what causes the crashing. Redrawing the overlays constantly is probably the work-around for the problem. I did notice that even with my phone plugged in the battery was slowly dropping and the phone was getting hot (though it was also in the sun in my car), so the fix might also use more battery than normal.

Also (relating to the above quote), when choosing an address for navigation the app now gives you multiple route options to take. I think this is a new feature, though I haven't been using Google Maps Nav for some time because of the crashing so it might not be.

I hope this update helps other users with problems as well.

Now if I can find another free wifi tethering app that works with JB (unlikely) the phone will finally work as well as it did with ICS.

DaveJ

Allen_Jensen

Mar 2, 2014
Visit site
I turned hardware overlay off, that fixed navigation unless I went to navigation via google maps. Google maps still crashed. So, I rebooted and after that, I have gone through the scenario several times and no crash. Then, I went to recent apps screen, removed google maps, restarted - now the problem is back again.

Have seen several people claim replacing the phone worked. Is there a "magic phrase" to use with AT&T to get them to replace the phone due to this problem anyone knows of?

HTC One X+ from AT&T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty