Love this phone

Pew446

Jun 1, 2012
Visit site
Everyone is posting problems with the EVO but with all the updates pretty much everything (including multitasking) has been fixed for me. This phone is awesome now. Just sayin

cuffs50

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Yeah it is a pretty awesome phone. There's not one out there that I'd trade it for at the moment (aside from the note 2) but its size isn't really practical for me. People just need to realize that every phone has its bugs from time to time. And yeah we were a little slow to get jb but so what. On the same note I did see a couple people say that their phone was completely unusable but I believe they were few and far between. Mine is jam up. And LTE is slowly creeping into my city! Such a tease though. I live on the north end of town and its only in the extreme south end right now. :eek:

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums

DWS44

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Just got mine a couple weeks ago, and so far I've been quite impressed with it! My launch day OG Evo finally started acting up but didn't want to use my Sprint upgrade until after the 2013 phones are out, so I bought this one on Ebay to play with in the meantime. Did all the upgrades, then factory reset, and so far its been pretty much trouble free. I wasn't sure I'd like a phone this much bigger than the OG Evo, but I got used to it pretty quickly!

cuffs50

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Best advice I can give is get a good case with screen protector. This thing is slippery LOL. Mine is rocking the otterbox defender.

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
Best advice I can give is get a good case with screen protector. This thing is slippery LOL. Mine is rocking the otterbox defender.

One of the major appeals of this phone is the build quality. I slapped a case (a very minimal one) on it the day I got it to keep it protected but it didn't take long for me to ditch it and just go without and no regrets. Definitely a fan of keeping the phone naked and I've never been a fan of screen protectors on any phone

cuffs50

May 9, 2012
Visit site
We'll I'm probably a little rougher on mine than most due to my profession so the case is a necessity for me

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
We'll I'm probably a little rougher on mine than most due to my profession so the case is a necessity for me

At the end of the day it's all about what works for you and to each his own. I've found most portable electronics are tougher than people give them credit for. I travel all the time and go into some nasty environments and 5 years ago I never would have dreamed of having my smartphone out of a case but now I'm used to it.

dtreo

May 4, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I don't see anything else I would rather have these days.
I have recently set up a new GNex and an iPhone5 for family members and I wouldn't trade for either or the S3. All great devices now that the past year seems to have reached a level of maturity with Android and iOS. I could certainly get along fine with any of those, but the contacts management in Sense seems to be much better across multiple email accounts. The iPhone5 seems awfully inefficient at working with multiple accounts and contacts organization. stock GNex ccertainly misses some of the small organization touches that Sense brings too.
And the Sense keyboard is so wonderful IMO.
Some love for EVO LTE indeed.

fred72matt

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I wish I was so lucky. This is the worst EVO that I've ever owned. I have had all 3 and this one is horrible. Great phone if it would work properly. I can barely hang up on someone when I'm not using my earpiece because the screen will not stay on. It's little things like that, that spoils my user experience and I am tired of hearing all phones have bugs. My original EVO and my 3D didn't have any bugs that I can recall not like this anyway. I've had this phone since release day and it still isn't right. Every 2 days my weather clock widget just disappears. Battery goes from 20 to dead in 5 minutes. And no I'm not using it I can keep listing little "bugs" enough is enough I will eat the cost and buy another phone at cost and sell this gem on Craigslist to someone else.

Topgonzo

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I wish I was so lucky. This is the worst EVO that I've ever owned. I have had all 3 and this one is horrible. Great phone if it would work properly. I can barely hang up on someone when I'm not using my earpiece because the screen will not stay on. It's little things like that, that spoils my user experience and I am tired of hearing all phones have bugs. My original EVO and my 3D didn't have any bugs that I can recall not like this anyway. I've had this phone since release day and it still isn't right. Every 2 days my weather clock widget just disappears. Battery goes from 20 to dead in 5 minutes. And no I'm not using it I can keep listing little "bugs" enough is enough I will eat the cost and buy another phone at cost and sell this gem on Craigslist to someone else.

After all the updates have you done a factory reset?

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

So Cold

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site

After all the updates have you done a factory reset?

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE

I agree with Fred, I got a new phone on warranty and did a factory reset, installed the updates, did another factory reset and then set up my accounts and installed some apps and everything. And there's no way people are going to factory reset their phone all the time just to fix bugs, loosing all of your app data is a major pain (assuming you didn't root). So constantly hearing that this phone is great you just have to factory reset it weekly and every phone has bugs gets really old. The biggest thing I see lately is disappearing widgets from home screens, I travel all the time so I have to turn my phone on and off and it's always a crap shoot on what widgets will be there when the phone turns on. For keeping the phone stock I shouldn't have to deal with all the bugs that we've had (still mad over the contacts issues from last year). I'm at least on my 4th evo already and if and when this ones bites the bullet they'll finally replace it with a different model so it will be adios evo for me if that happens.

On kind of a side note this is my first evo, I didn't have the original although I was a big fan of it looking in from the outside and it was a big reason I got this phone. But it just seems like the people who are very vocal and supportive of this phone are people who just really really want to love this phone. They hate samsung with a passion for whatever reason and are just dead set that the evo is the greatest thing ever and always will be. I think when this phone works it's a good phone and the screen is definitely awesome (way better than the s3) but I don't feel like the evo is the only good phone out there.

It's been a really long day, rant over

crowrb29

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
The new update to 3.16 should have fixed everything. My phone was great when it was stock and it's even better now rooted. Keeping to the point though. I had two different evos in the last couple weeks because sprint broke one of them....and they both worked wonderfully on the new OTA update.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

crowrb29

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Consider some of the apps you are installing too. Some of the app, even from the playstore can have really adverse effects on your phone and the way things function.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Is the "Evo Design 4G" the same thing?
Came in the mail last week but don't know what to do with it since I'm not on Boost or Sprint.

Recommendations?
Can it be made to work on HSPA networks?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

crowrb29

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
Is the "Evo Design 4G" the same thing?
Came in the mail last week but don't know what to do with it since I'm not on Boost or Sprint.

Recommendations?
Can it be made to work on HSPA networks?

It is unlocked so it should work. Heres some info about it. Its def not on the same playing field as the Evo LTE by any means.... http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTC_Evo_Design_4G

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
It is unlocked so it should work. Heres some info about it.

Cool, thanks.
Sorry if it's a silly question but it's my first Boost phone - Do I need to get it unlocked or will it already just work if I pop in a North American HSPA+ SIM (I'm currently with T-Mobile)?

Last edited:

crowrb29

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
As far as I know it will work on an hspa network. Not sure if it has the right band for tmo but SIM cards are cheap and i would say its at least worth a shot seeing if you van take the SIM out of your nexus and seeing if it will work on the evo....if not boost is one of the cheaper prepaid plans. Not sure what you want to do with it but I'm pretty sure there is pretty good root and hack stuff for the the phone.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Not really into rooting & my micro-SIM is too small.
I'll probably try a pre-paid & if it works cool, if not I'll find someone to give it to.

Thanks for the help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non