Screen shuts off after opening

Emaderton3

Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Hi everyone! Just posting this separately since it is a different issue. My screen has been going black and won't wake up after opening my phone. I have to either open it super slowly, which doesn't always work, or use it partially folded. This happened about a year ago but was fixed after a software update. I did remove my screen protector and have tried it without the case, but no luck in either case. Any suggestions?

Nov 9, 2023
Visit site
That's a bummer about your screen acting up. It's weird how it got fixed last time after a software update. Have you tried checking for any new updates now? Also, might be worth a shot to check the settings for anything related to screen wake or display timing.

Reactions: J Dubbs

Emaderton3

Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
That's a bummer about your screen acting up. It's weird how it got fixed last time after a software update. Have you tried checking for any new updates now? Also, might be worth a shot to check the settings for anything related to screen wake or display timing.
I am up to date with software. I did look through the settings but nothing has changed.

Emaderton3

Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Now that I have been able to test this longer, the problem isn't completely gone but happens a lot less. I also can avoid it by opening my phone slowly, which didn't stop the screen from shutting off before.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site
I had this bug due to an app called Cover OS.
I'm going to use Good Lock on my Flip 3 to try and get similar results to Cover OS. I'm already using it for a custom wallpaper... I trust it more since it's supported by Samsung. I'm not a big fan of third party apps on the whole... seems like they're usually responsible for a majority of phone issues 😯
Now that I have been able to test this longer, the problem isn't completely gone but happens a lot less. I also can avoid it by opening my phone slowly, which didn't stop the screen from shutting off before.
If it's still happening then unfortunately there's still a problem. If it doesn't happen at all, ever, in safe mode then it's a third party app problem most likely. But since it's still happening to some degree that's kind of an early warning sign ⚠️

It might be a good idea to back up everything on the phone just in case 😉 I've heard of Flips having that as an early sign before screen failures 😧

If it's an app problem you could start removing apps you've added from the most recent back, until you find the app causing the problem. Or you could factory reset to rule out any software problems period.

I wouldn't want that problem to be going on with my phone, because you never know when it's possibly going to quit and leave you high and dry 😞

Reactions: mustang7757

Emaderton3

Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm going to use Good Lock on my Flip 3 to try and get similar results to Cover OS. I'm already using it for a custom wallpaper... I trust it more since it's supported by Samsung. I'm not a big fan of third party apps on the whole... seems like they're usually responsible for a majority of phone issues

If it's still happening then unfortunately there's still a problem. If it doesn't happen at all, ever, in safe mode then it's a third party app problem most likely. But since it's still happening to some degree that's kind of an early warning sign

It might be a good idea to back up everything on the phone just in case I've heard of Flips having that as an early sign before screen failures

If it's an app problem you could start removing apps you've added from the most recent back, until you find the app causing the problem. Or you could factory reset to rule out any software problems period.

I wouldn't want that problem to be going on with my phone, because you never know when it's possibly going to quit and leave you high and dry
Yeah, I will have to check if I still have some coverage for a new phone first, and if so, what is offered as the "equivalent" for replacement. Even when it does happen, I have had no problems waking the phone with the fingerprint button. Makes me wonder if it is a sensor to detect the phone is opening that is going bad.

Reactions: J Dubbs