Guide to rooting phone with HBOOT 2.18.0001

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm having trouble getting the indentifier token to unlock the bootloader @ HTCdev. In the command prompt I entered C:/android then copy and pasted "fastboot oem get_identifier_token" nothing happens but it says: < waiting for device > it wont give me the identifier token what needs to be done?

thanks for the help
Your device has to be connected to the computer in fastboot mode (it will say "FASTBOOT USB" on the screen). Have you installed all of the necessary software & drivers already, and followed the procedure to put the device in fastboot mode?

deaconr_90

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
i downloaded the recovory img in step 8 put it in the same file as the fastboot.exe (C:/Android). Opened my command prompt and navigated to C:/Android (cd c:/android in command prompt) then i copy and paste fastboot flash recovery recovery.img. i get an error message saying: error: cannot load 'recovery.img'

thank you for the help

garrett4338

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
What Internet browser are you using? If your using internet exploer it will do that and firefoxe will Google chrome is what i used and it worked that way or opera those two are the only ones that will go all the way through the setup.

dsdavis08

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I just wanted to say ==THANK YOU== for posting this walk-thru. When I received a refurb phone from Sprint with the latest 2.3.5 OTA, I thought my root ship had sunk. You're a life-saver for getting me re-rooted and back in business.

jeffgilbert1

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Well, got to step 11 and then tried to boot into recovery and got stuck on the white htc EVO 4G screen. If I pull th battery, the phone will start and if I go into the boot loader, the phone is unlocked. So, basically, I can't flash that super user zip file. Any help would be greatly appretiated.
Jeff

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, got to step 11 and then tried to boot into recovery and got stuck on the white htc EVO 4G screen. If I pull th battery, the phone will start and if I go into the boot loader, the phone is unlocked. So, basically, I can't flash that super user zip file. Any help would be greatly appretiated.
Jeff
Did you get a message that the recovery flashed successfully, or did you get an error message? When you try to get to recovery through the bootloader, what happens?

jeffgilbert1

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
This is what I got when I flased the .img

C:\Program Files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools>fastboot flash recovery reco
very.img
sending 'recovery' (150 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.266s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ 0.297s]
finished. total time: 0.563s

After that I booted the phone, screen told me phone was unlocked. I than went and hit recovery. The phone reboots to the whote HTC screen and stays there.
Phone is still working if I power on normaly.

vulcan001

Member?
Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried going on again to the recovery? Its happened when rooting other peoples phones that i need to reboot the phone again & try to get into the recovery again if it doesnt work then i play the waiting game for a while.

jeffgilbert1

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
worked. Looks like I did not get the whole recovery file the first time. Booted into recovery fine and then rebooted into normal. Only thing is Market seems to be missing and was replaced with Google Play

scoc73

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
When i get to step 11. prompt say "c:\android>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
error: cannot load 'recovery.img'"
Any help? thanks in advance.......

Captain_Throwback

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
What does this mean? "take this zip and drag it to the root of your SD card". Root?
root = in no folders
When i get to step 11. prompt say "c:\android>fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
error: cannot load 'recovery.img'"
Any help? thanks in advance.......
do you have the recovery.img file in the same folder on your computer with the fastboot.exe?

uurel23

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
failed to rename directory c:\androidsdk\tools to c:\androidsdk\temp\toolpackage.old01.

i keep getting this error message in sdk. i have already turned off antivirus/firewall and close all possible sdk windows still cont. to get this message can someone please help.....thanks
should i rename that extension myself ( if thats the full ext ) and hope for the best?