Beware of Caulkins WiMax update or WiMax radios

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
If you like to browse XDA -- be careful of Caulkins WiMax updates and radios. Some folks seem to have no problem with them, but others (including myself) are reporting the radio update borks your 4g. To fix it you have to revert back to stock the same as you would if you did the second step to gain full root.

Last edited:

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
after installing the WiMax radio he posted -- i have lost 4g. trying to install an older radio or a backup of another ROM does't work in restoring it. i am going to have to wait till i get home to revert back with the steps you would use to get full root access. it's great that he put them out there, but now that we know they are breaking a lot of people's 4g i think he should take it down or put up some warning.

fastamx79

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
unrevoked posted this....

public:jul3update [RootWiki]

Right now I am still running pre-OTA software version 1.32.651.6 with unrevoked and unrevoked2 (clockwork recovery).

I take it after reading these threads, my best bet is still to hold off on doing the OTA and continue running the 'stock' ROM.

--edit--
and by OTA I mean applying any patches to my phone like this one (even though it doesn't include any wimax updates)
http://www.unrevoked.com/rootwiki/doku.php/public/evo_ota_2_patch

widdlewade

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
after installing the WiMax radio he posted -- i have lost 4g. trying to install an older radio or a backup of another ROM does't work in restoring it. i am going to have to wait till i get home to revert back with the steps you would use to get full root access. it's great that he put them out there, but now that we know they are breaking a lot of people's 4g i think he should take it down or put up some warning.

Which radio are you running now?

fastamx79

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site

I think I may go this route. I have no issues currently with my phone since I am still using the old software version (have not done the OTA update yet) and I'm trying to figure out the best way to get current software while keeping root, and having updated radios.

Right now I am still using unrevoked and had done unrevoked2 to install clockworkmod recovery. If I am reading that thread correctly, I just have to use step 2 of toast's root to roll back from version 79 to 76 of HBoot, follow the directions to install the files, then I would be updated to the newest update, have the official wimax and radio updates, and be fully rooted so I can keep using wireless tether and other apps that require superuser... or am I missing something?

fastamx79

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
if you did break your 4g with Caulkin or someone else's radio then just use gbhil's full root process -- step by step. well, maybe not step one. this will most likely fix your 4g. i don't think this will work for those that ran the OTA -- just the new WiMax radio.

worked for me.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...-your-htc-evo-install-clockwork-recovery.html

I'm not sure who you are posting to, but my previous post I noticed that I had the wrong link.

I actually did this on Sunday...
How to start over: Fully rooted stock 1.47.651.1 in one shot (no adb!) - xda-developers

Worked perfect for me (at least I hope so).

Long story short I was still rocking the pre-ota update on my Evo with unrevoked 1 and unrevoked 2/clockwork installed. After reading all the issues with the updates, and the radios not being included I starting looking for a way to keep root after doing a full update. I found the above thread, and did it. I did toast's 1 and 2 updates to root, then did the link above, and I now have a fully rooted phone, with the latest updats including the updates for the radios :D

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
i snagged this from the Damage Control ROM thread at XDA and it fixed my 4g nicely. I didn't use ADB to do it -- i just used root explorer (you can use whatevery file explorer app you want i guess) to move the file instead of renaming it.

If you are stuck scanning:

go into
adb shell
ls /data/misc/wimax/

look for a file with your macaddress ending in .tree.xml. we want to move that to another location so it gets regenerated.

mv /data/misc/wimax/macaddress.tree.xml /data/misc/wimax/macaddress.tree.xml.orig