To better understand rooting...

rkirmeier

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I have rooted my EVO using the using the guides in the Simple Fast Root method link and I have read numurous guides and articles but still can't understand some things... Please answer any questions you can...

1. I am a little confused about the dependancies of RECOVERY, ROMS, HBOOT, ROOTING, NAND, etc. What I mean is there seem to be multiple flashing steps before you can load a custom ROM but aren't you already loading a custom ROM when flashing? As I understand it you need a engineering HBOOT to do anything, right? This allows R/W to NAND? So the HBOOT locks down NAND then? Can you mix and match different ROMS and RECOVERYs?

2. WHERE is RECOVERY and HBOOT stored? If you load a customer ROM don't any of these get overwritten? Are there separate paritions for each image and writting one has no effect on the other?

3. What is the difference with the different RECOVERY images?

4. When I followed the guildes I ran into the the FAIL-UP error on the RECOVERY write during second part. After serveral attmepts I removed the RECOVERY image from the zip file as part 1 already loaded a RA RECOVERY. I was then able to load the "su.2.1-e-unsecure-signed.zip" using RECOVERY.

5. So I have HBOOT 0.76.20000 and RA RECOVERY from SIMPLEROOT OTA 1.47.651.1. When I go into RECOVERY it does not show a build #. I was able to load "su.2.1-e-unsecure-signed.zip" with it so I assume it must be the Amon RA 1.7.0.1 that can load flash updates signed with the test keys, right?

6. Can I load any custom ROMS no using HBOOT 0.76.0000 and Amon RA 1.7.0.1?

7. Nandroid backup. I understand that if I restore a Nandroid backup I bascially restore the entire phone execpt for HBOOT and RECOVERY?

8. If HBOOT 0.76.2000 unlocks NAND then can I load any CUSTOM ROM as long as I have HBOOT .076.2000? Can I run a stock ROM with .0.76.2000?
Sorry about all the questions. Hopefully any answers will help others as well!

Last edited:

rkirmeier

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I found the General ROM FAQ which helps me understand a few more details but one question I just still can understand for sure is...

Technially speaking, is being rooted accomplished soley by having HBOOT 0.76.2000 because this allows R/W to NAND and therefore the ability to load custom ROMs?

t0ast3d

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
Your asking what root is?

Root is the user name or account that by default has access to all commands and files. Giving you "superuser permissions"

EDIT: Partial root is having HBOOT, Full root is having both HBOOT and NAND unlocked

rkirmeier

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the anwsers but you are assuming I can fill in the blanks... LOL!

So if I have HBOOT 0.76.2000 my NAND can be locked or unlocked? How do I lock or unlock it then? Is this part of the script that flashes a PC36IMG.zip image?

Another question... I have RA Recovery but looks like I might want Clockworks Recovery so I can use a ROM Manger. How would I go about changing my RECOVERY?

Thanks!

ZDriver

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Woah

I am coming from the Palm Pre and it was much easier loading webOS quick install and preware. All this NAND and ROM and ROOT is confusing as hell. It was easier to hack Direct TV, LOL. I want to root my EVO and check out all these ROM's but damn its confusing anyone live in Cincinnati that wants to get paid to show me how to do this??

I Love the EVO though and dont miss my Pre AT ALL! So far Android has been everything i thought it would be.

t0ast3d

Banned
Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I am coming from the Palm Pre and it was much easier loading webOS quick install and preware. All this NAND and ROM and ROOT is confusing as hell. It was easier to hack Direct TV, LOL. I want to root my EVO and check out all these ROM's but damn its confusing anyone live in Cincinnati that wants to get paid to show me how to do this??

I Love the EVO though and dont miss my Pre AT ALL! So far Android has been everything i thought it would be.

I don't live there but I could help you directly in real time for a lil donation? :p

alwayspalm

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
ROOT?

Just ordered and EVo trying to learn about Android thru this forum. Please send me a link so i can learn what ROOT, ROM and NAND mean. THanks

rkirmeier

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Well I had hoped for a little better response then I have gotten so far. A day later and a lot more reading I figuring out a few things. I discovered that with ROM Manager it will install Clockwork or RA RECOVERY so my question about loading a different RECOVERY is answered.

I still have questions about NAND. What is NAND exactly? Is it the entire internal storage or just a part of it? If it's the entire storage and it's locked how come we can download and install apps? Maybe the locking of NAND prevents ACL changes? Also what exactly does the unlock of NAND. From what I can tell you at minimum need HBOOT .076.2000 but then what actaully unlocks it?

I'll keep researching and if I find the anwsers I'll post them...

VDub2174

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
I still have questions about NAND. What is NAND exactly? Is it the entire internal storage or just a part of it? If it's the entire storage and it's locked how come we can download and install apps? Maybe the locking of NAND prevents ACL changes? Also what exactly does the unlock of NAND. From what I can tell you at minimum need HBOOT .076.2000 but then what actaully unlocks it?

I'll keep researching and if I find the anwsers I'll post them...

Please do cause I'm trying to figure this stuff out as well. If I find anything I'll post it here too.

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Please do cause I'm trying to figure this stuff out as well. If I find anything I'll post it here too.

If I am not mistaken, the NAND is essentially just a different type of flash memory. It's where the OS is stored as well as all your apps. unlocking it allows access to it, and allows flashing of a custom ROM. I hope Google didn't fail me here.

rkirmeier

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
If I am not mistaken, the NAND is essentially just a different type of flash memory. It's where the OS is stored as well as all your apps. unlocking it allows access to it, and allows flashing of a custom ROM. I hope Google didn't fail me here.

Not to say this response is not correct but it leaves room for assumptions and guessing! So if it "allows access" you mean write access? How can we not have write access if we can install apps? Or is NAND jsut a reference to the system directory/partition and apps are not installed here?

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Not to say this response is not correct but it leaves room for assumptions and guessing! So if it "allows access" you mean write access? How can we not have write access if we can install apps? Or is NAND jsut a reference to the system directory/partition and apps are not installed here?

Currently, apps are not stored on the SD Card although if I am not mistaken. they can be. The user doesn't have write access to the NAND but we can read data off it. It seems limited though, we can't retrieve apps from there without rooting, but we can access the files that are there to run the system. NAND is a reference to the type of flash memory inside the phone. I would love a thread at XDA about this, defining the terms and laying out everything.

rkirmeier

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Currently, apps are not stored on the SD Card although if I am not mistaken. they can be. The user doesn't have write access to the NAND but we can read data off it. It seems limited though, we can't retrieve apps from there without rooting, but we can access the files that are there to run the system. NAND is a reference to the type of flash memory inside the phone. I would love a thread at XDA about this, defining the terms and laying out everything.

Yes, see what I am saying. Apps are NOT stored on the SD card and if NAND represents the entire internal storage then it's confusing what unlocking it really means because it HAS to be writable if we can download and install apps on it.

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Yes, see what I am saying. Apps are NOT stored on the SD card and if NAND represents the entire internal storage then it's confusing what unlocking it really means because it HAS to be writable if we can download and install apps on it.

It's writable, just not by the user. I would guess that they partitioned the NAND, one for the system and the other for apps. Makes sense I think. We can write to the app partition, add and remove apps. We can't really touch the System partition.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer