Just got my evo replaced through sprint, now back to 2.1 and i wanna root!

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

after 2.2 my evo was having problems, but finally after about a month sprint store called and got my replacement.

so im on 2.1 again, and want to root to remove bloat ware, BUT i want to go to 2.2, so point me in the right direction and such..

also would it be possible for me to put the phone back to "stock" and sprint would never know if i ever had any problems?

thanks everyone!

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

after 2.2 my evo was having problems, but finally after about a month sprint store called and got my replacement.

so im on 2.1 again, and want to root to remove bloat ware, BUT i want to go to 2.2, so point me in the right direction and such..

also would it be possible for me to put the phone back to "stock" and sprint would never know if i ever had any problems?

thanks everyone!

Root and the AC roms is your friend, refer to that thread, or if you don't want sense or sprint stuff flash Cyanogen. Or if you into stock, rooted froyo, go here HTC OTA Froyo 2.2, *FINAL*, build 3.36.651.6 (Rooted) Odexed - xda-developers

As for the rooting part, use simple root, LJ has a nice stickied write up just scoop past the 2.2 reverting part and straight to simple root, easy as pie.

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
Ok, another question.

so i root via simple root, then do i load AC rom or do i then do a nandbackrup and then flash the rom?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok, another question.

so i root via simple root, then do i load AC rom or do i then do a nandbackrup and then flash the rom?

I would back up then flash. That way if you don't like the rom you can go back to rooted stock.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk Pro

Ky1e.YC

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Personally, trying a few hours CM6, but still back to Fresh now. Maybe i m still a "sense" person, besides, i dont really feel CM6 much faster than Fresh yet, cannot link different contact like sense do. Also, I notice you can set 8MP in Vignette camera software.

dwhitman

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Nandroid is a backup program that's built into the custom recovery image you flash after rooting (clockworkmod or Amon-Ra). When you boot into recovery you'll see it listed as an option in the menu.

As near as I can tell (I'm still a newb at this too) it saves an image of your phone's complete state - Rom, recovery, apps, data, the works. Reload this image and your phone is exactly as it was when you ran nandroid.

Less sure about this, but I don't think you can do selective restores from a Nandroid backup - I think it's all or nothing. Hence the recommendation to also use the program Titanium backup - which allows you to recover app settings if you move to a different ROM.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Nandroid is a backup program that's built into the custom recovery image you flash after rooting (clockworkmod or Amon-Ra). When you boot into recovery you'll see it listed as an option in the menu.

As near as I can tell (I'm still a newb at this too) it saves an image of your phone's complete state - Rom, recovery, apps, data, the works. Reload this image and your phone is exactly as it was when you ran nandroid.

Less sure about this, but I don't think you can do selective restores from a Nandroid backup - I think it's all or nothing. Hence the recommendation to also use the program Titanium backup - which allows you to recover app settings if you move to a different ROM.

You are correct. Doing a NAND backup is like taking a ghost image of your hard drive. If you recover using a NAND backup your phone will be just like it was when you did the backup. If you have ROM Manager and use that to make backups it's the same as booting into recovery to do it, it just automates the process for you.

Titanium backup will let you restore individual apps from one ROM to the next.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
i was thinking about going to baked snack rom.

[ROM] BakedSnack 1.5 8/22/10 "More Kernel Choices" Harder/Better/Faster/Stronger - xda-developers

does this flash over 2.1 or should i updated to a 2.2 and then load baked snack?

my battery is HORRID with 2.1 i went to bed around 2 am, just woke up now at 12pm and its already 45% from 100% while sleeping LOL.

If you are rooted then you can go to whatever ROM you want. Baked Snack is known for having excellent battery life, so if that's something you're looking for try it out. AC ROM has good battery life, too, as does toasted delight.

Keep in mind that if you use titanium backup you should NOT restore app data or system data if going from a 2.1 ROM to a 2.2 ROM, and vice versa. Many people have had problems trying to do this. Only restore the app itself.

intheb0x

Jul 29, 2010
Visit site
If you are rooted then you can go to whatever ROM you want. Baked Snack is known for having excellent battery life, so if that's something you're looking for try it out. AC ROM has good battery life, too, as does toasted delight.

Keep in mind that if you use titanium backup you should NOT restore app data or system data if going from a 2.1 ROM to a 2.2 ROM, and vice versa. Many people have had problems trying to do this. Only restore the app itself.

Ok thanks, is baked snack meant to be flashed over 2.2 or 2.1? NVM, ive figured out that it can flash over anything on your phone.

also how do i perform a nandroid backup? i dont see any step by step instructions anywhere??

Last edited:

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
Ok thanks, is baked snack meant to be flashed over 2.2 or 2.1? NVM, ive figured out that it can flash over anything on your phone.

also how do i perform a nandroid backup? i dont see any step by step instructions anywhere??

If you boot into recovery (I'm using clockwork) use the volume down button to go to nandroid hit the power button, the go down to backup and hit the power button and it will do it.

If you have ROM manager go into the app and click backup current rom. It will give you the option to name the ROM. I like naming mine the ROM and version number so I know what it is in case I need to go back to it. The default naming scheme is confusing as heck.

dwhitman

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
If you have ROM manager go into the app and click backup current rom. It will give you the option to name the ROM. I like naming mine the ROM and version number so I know what it is in case I need to go back to it. The default naming scheme is confusing as heck.

Peripherally related. Can I safely rename the folders from doing a nandroid backup? I've got a whole series all with similar names (same date, different times) and it'd be a lot easier to manage if they had more descriptive names like "rooted stock android, no apps" or "AC ROM apps restored with settings".

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87