Changing the boot animation

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't have a link (lazy) but go over to xda and search, I've seen a thread about it. No changing roms and its simple.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Gotta help out my Country Folk ;)

Haha hell ya!..

I'm only doing:

1. Having phone fully powered up and plug it into the USB.
2. you should already have ADB installed and working. If so, then to verify your device is connected, do "adb devices" in a command prompt. You should see like "List of attached devices" and right underneath it, you'll se HTCxxxxx listed.
3. If step 2 is good, then do "adb reboot recovery". This will reboot your phone into recovery mode.
4. You will see a red triangle with an exclamation mark, this is when phone is now ready in recovery mode. To verify, go back to command prompt and type "adb devices" and you should see the same thing as in step 2 only difference is it'll say "recovery" next to the device name.
5. Once that is good, go into your evo-recovery folder and run the recovery-XYZ, where XYS is the os type. So for windows you would right-click on the "recovery-windows.bat" and select run as administrator (if you are running in Vista/7).
5. If step 5 runs will you'll see a series of line output, and final line should be "No hup" or something like that. Now look over to your phone, you should see a menu. Do NOT touch anything on the phone.
6. Open up a new command prompt, cd into the android sdk/tools folder, and issue "adb shell". You will drop into your phone shell now and all you will see is "#" sign.
7. Type "mount /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system", you should now see the '#" again.
8. Type "exit", and now you are back into your command prompt like "C:\...>".
9. Type "adb push my_new_animation.zip /system/customize/resource/bootanimation.zip" {ENTER}. You'll see that your file will be uploaded.
10. To verify, type "adb shell" and you should be back into your phone shell with "#"
11. Type "ls /system/customize/resource/bootanimation.zip" and you should see the "bootanimation.zip" listed.
12. Now just reboot the phone by typing "reboot" at the "#" prompt.

Not understanding this part at all:
5. Once that is good, go into your evo-recovery folder and run the recovery-XYZ, where XYS is the os type. So for windows you would right-click on the "recovery-windows.bat" and select run as administrator (if you are running in Vista/7).
5. If step 5 runs will you'll see a series of line output, and final line should be "No hup" or something like that. Now look over to your phone, you should see a menu. Do NOT touch anything on the phone.

Where am I going into Evo-recovery foler and what is recovery-xyz?

Last edited:

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
There is an Easier Way... ->;)

I wanted you to learn whats actually going on...

Now try the Smiley out Its a program that will do everything for you

Make sure the bootanimation.zip you want to use is in the folder with the program file... good luck

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
So on the first thread you showed me someone responded and said I didn't have to do it the way it was written in the OP and showeds me another way to do it.

"As long as you are fully rooted with nand unlcoked, it is a lot easier now. Put the bootanimation.zip file in the android sdk tools folder (where adb is located) example:
c:\sdk\android-sdk-windows\tools\bootanimation.zip

now once that is there, connect your phone select charge only, now run adb from a command prompt

type this:
adb remount [press enter]

adb push bootanimation.zip /system/customize/resource/bootanimation.zip [press enter]

adb reboot [press enter]

Then watch your new animation play

I did it that way and the file pushed successfully but now I have no boot animation at all. So I tried the program you sent me, put the bootanimation zip in the pushboot file and i still have no boot animation... i dunno what happened...

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
So on the first thread you showed me someone responded and said I didn't have to do it the way it was written in the OP and showeds me another way to do it.

"As long as you are fully rooted with nand unlcoked, it is a lot easier now. Put the bootanimation.zip file in the android sdk tools folder (where adb is located) example:
c:\sdk\android-sdk-windows\tools\bootanimation.zip

now once that is there, connect your phone select charge only, now run adb from a command prompt

type this:
adb remount [press enter]

adb push bootanimation.zip /system/customize/resource/bootanimation.zip [press enter]

adb reboot [press enter]

Then watch your new animation play

I did it that way and the file pushed successfully but now I have no boot animation at all. So I tried the program you sent me, put the bootanimation zip in the pushboot file and i still have no boot animation... i dunno what happened...

Co?o Man... Que Paso!

Dude It should work Fine... Make sure you dont have any other boot animations in the same File as this thing...

Make sure the Boot animations is named

BootAnimation

this is how i do it... Not because I dont know how to use the other way

Im just lazy lately

Use this how to...

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Co?o Man... Que Paso!

Dude It should work Fine... Make sure you dont have any other boot animations in the same File as this thing...

Make sure the Boot animations is named

BootAnimation

this is how i do it... Not because I dont know how to use the other way

Im just lazy lately

HA! I think that's it. I forgot to rename it! LOL. Gonna try it again. It has to be in the main pushboot file right?

Edit: WTF it still didn't work. I'm gonna try the pushboot program again with the file renamed... grr

Last edited:

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Sigh.... :( Still isn't working.. Still have no boot screen.. I've tried both ways a bunch of times and nothing....

Edit: I'm supposed to use pushboot2 right? Also I don't think there is any sound on that animation (Android pissing on Apple). Would that mess anything up?

Last edited:

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Sigh.... :( Still isn't working.. Still have no boot screen.. I've tried both ways a bunch of times and nothing....

Edit: I'm supposed to use pushboot2 right? Also I don't think there is any sound on that animation (Android pissing on Apple). Would that mess anything up?

Im going to ask you something... Dont get get upset...

Did you make a Nand Back up!?

If you did Restore to that and try again

And No I dont think that animation does... and no sound will not effect a thing...

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Im going to ask you something... Dont get get upset...

Did you make a Nand Back up!?

If you did Restore to that and try again

And No I dont think that animation does... and no sound will not effect a thing...

I definitely did... but I don't remember if I did a Nand backup after I installed the custom ROM or when I was back on rooted 2.1..... There a way to find out? Yes I'm an idiot I kno :\

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Soooo something told me that maybe it was the animation file that wasn't playing nice... SOooo I downloaded another one, didn't use pushboot, instead I did it the manual way (trying to learn as much as I can!!) and bada bing!! Worked perfect!!

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Soooo something told me that maybe it was the animation file that wasn't playing nice... SOooo I downloaded another one, didn't use pushboot, instead I did it the manual way (trying to learn as much as I can!!) and bada bing!! Worked perfect!!

Congrats... haha

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
In the pushboot program that d3xn2o posted there's a CM6 specific one there. I'm not 100% sure if it's working though. I remember seeing in the forum of that program that it wasn't working with CM BUT it may have been an old post..

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
It worked great for me. Now to add a different splash screen and some sound. Anyone can help?

Pushboot will do the sound aswell as the Boot Animation I dont know what the File needed to be named...

Splash is done in Fastboot...

Again these directions will be found on XDA wiki...

XDA Wiki

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez