Official Cyanogen 6.0+ Thread

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Cm6 has weak battery life, use set cpu to help out with it but other than using snap or kind kernels theres not much you can do.

I personally make it through the day with cm6 using snap 7.6 turbo just fine.

I thought CM6 would give me the same or better battery life than stock HTC Sense which was real good. What does CM6 do that makes it drain the battery faster? Does it up the CPU clock speed?

I'll need to look into how to change kernels and the pros and cons of each.

BigRick10

May 13, 2010
Visit site
The code freeze is this Sunday and Cyanogen will be working on the EVO non stop till Sunday.

From his Twitter:
i'm working on evo stuff nonstop the next few days

Also:
wimax might make it. i'm going to be working hard on it the next few days.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
It seems CM6 uses a different browser than HTC Sense. It seems a bit better with bookmarking and tabs, but one feature I really miss is the ability to stretch or pinch a column of words and the words and letters adjust to fit on the fly.

On the CM6 browser there are + / - buttons to enlarge text on the fly but then the page jumps and I need to find my spot again. It works but is not as precise as what the stock browser could do. I dug through the browser settings and couldn't find a setting change text sizing to the HTC browser style.

Is it possible to uninstall the current browser and install the HTC Browser and make that the default without much trouble? I am not sure what browser HTC used but I am thinking mobile chrome?

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
It seems CM6 uses a different browser than HTC Sense. It seems a bit better with bookmarking and tabs, but one feature I really miss is the ability to stretch or pinch a column of words and the words and letters adjust to fit on the fly.

On the CM6 browser there are + / - buttons to enlarge text on the fly but then the page jumps and I need to find my spot again. It works but is not as precise as what the stock browser could do. I dug through the browser settings and couldn't find a setting change text sizing to the HTC browser style.

Is it possible to uninstall the current browser and install the HTC Browser and make that the default without much trouble? I am not sure what browser HTC used but I am thinking mobile chrome?

the zoom feature for txt in the browser your talking about is just a setting you can switch on and off I forget what its called...

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
the zoom feature for txt in the browser your talking about is just a setting you can switch on and off I forget what its called...
If anyone knows the setting let me know. I downloaded skyfire that allows me to size the text then double tapping on the column to make it fit. Fairly good solution.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I think I am going to give Snap Turbo v7.6: CFS a shot. Even though I CM6 fully installed and running, should I still do the Failsafe install as described at [Kernel] CM6-Snapv7.6 Turbo! Splash Screens, Papersv3, Widgetv5 - xda-developers

Failsafe Install

* As much testing as went into SNAPturbo, the possibility exists you may run into problems. If you do, the following method is known to work 100%.
o Backup apps with Titanium or My Backup Pro
o Wipe Everything
o Flash CM6
o Flash v7.6
o Reboot-DO NOT sign-in to Google
o Turn Airplane Mode On
o Activate Turbo
o Sign-In to Google (Open Market)
o Restore Apps
o Resume normal use

This basically has me starting the whole ROM load process from scratch. Since I can do full backups with titanium and nandroid and am getting better at restoring them efficiently it may be a PITA but does not seem like an insurmountable task.

Or.... can I just go into htboot and flash with the snap 7.6 kernel. Or will that break everything I did with CM6?

If I need to pretty much start from scratch I may just wait until the next release of CM6 that might have wimax next week.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
I think I am going to give Snap Turbo v7.6: CFS a shot. Even though I CM6 fully installed and running, should I still do the Failsafe install as described at [Kernel] CM6-Snapv7.6 Turbo! Splash Screens, Papersv3, Widgetv5 - xda-developers

Failsafe Install

* As much testing as went into SNAPturbo, the possibility exists you may run into problems. If you do, the following method is known to work 100%.
o Backup apps with Titanium or My Backup Pro
o Wipe Everything
o Flash CM6
o Flash v7.6
o Reboot-DO NOT sign-in to Google
o Turn Airplane Mode On
o Activate Turbo
o Sign-In to Google (Open Market)
o Restore Apps
o Resume normal use

This basically has me starting the whole ROM load process from scratch. Since I can do full backups with titanium and nandroid and am getting better at restoring them efficiently it may be a PITA but does not seem like an insurmountable task.

Or.... can I just go into htboot and flash with the snap 7.6 kernel. Or will that break everything I did with CM6?

If I need to pretty much start from scratch I may just wait until the next release of CM6 that might have wimax next week.

Well nand backup your current cm6 and try a regular install and if it doesn't work. Use the failsafe.

Or you could just try a kings aosp kernel if you don't wanna bother.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Well nand backup your current cm6 and try a regular install and if it doesn't work. Use the failsafe.

Or you could just try a kings aosp kernel if you don't wanna bother.

What is a regular install of a kernel? Put it on the sd card go to ht-boot and run it?

What makes kings aosp kernel install easier? Or is it just better at saving battery power?

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Well I gave the snap 7.6 kernel install a go. I put it on my sd card and ran the zip file and rebooted into cm6. As far as I could tell I had the new kernal installed.

Then I went into programs and clicked on snap turbo and turned on turbo, after going through the turning on the turbo process it rebooted my EVO. Unfortunately after reboot my EVO went into an infinite loop of the cm6 welcome screen appearing loading and reloading.

I had to pull the battery then hit power volume down to get into ht-boot and restored the nandroid backup I made before the kernel update.

It looks like I would need to do the full wipe then install the kernel if I want to turn on turbo which I don't think I want to mess with.

So is snap 7.6 worth installing on cm6 with turbo off? Or am I better off installing the power saving kings aosp kernel and being done with it?

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Any idea how to add birthdays to contacts in CM 6?

I sync my contacts from Outlook 2007 (has birthday) to Google contacts (has birthday) to cm6 contact (can't find way to add birthday).

If you set up the birthday in Outlook it will sync the birthday to your google contact, and then will sync the birthday to your cm6 contact.

Your Birthday reminder appointments that are created by outlook 2007 will also be sync to your cm6 google calendar.

My reminder default in Outlook is 15 minutes which does not allow time for me to run out and get a gift and card for my wife so check your reminder time on important birthdays/anniversaries. ;)

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
I stumbled on the setting for this today. It is not in the browser settings, its in the CyanogenMod settings -user interface - Reflow after pinch in (reflow content immediately after pinch to zoom in)

Works great, now I need to decide what browser I like better, the cm6 android browser or Skyfire. Skyfire has some nice features.

Let me back up and Restore my CM6 backup

Give me a few minutes :cool:

Calma10

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Well I gave the snap 7.6 kernel install a go. I put it on my sd card and ran the zip file and rebooted into cm6. As far as I could tell I had the new kernal installed.

Then I went into programs and clicked on snap turbo and turned on turbo, after going through the turning on the turbo process it rebooted my EVO. Unfortunately after reboot my EVO went into an infinite loop of the cm6 welcome screen appearing loading and reloading.

I had to pull the battery then hit power volume down to get into ht-boot and restored the nandroid backup I made before the kernel update.

It looks like I would need to do the full wipe then install the kernel if I want to turn on turbo which I don't think I want to mess with.

So is snap 7.6 worth installing on cm6 with turbo off? Or am I better off installing the power saving kings aosp kernel and being done with it?

I think is worth it, when enabling turbo, did you remember to put the phone on airplane mode? Which one did you flashed? I had problems with bfs, but cfs work perfect. Another advantage of using snap is wimax notifier works.

paradroid

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I did airplane mode and cfs with no luck - did not try bfs. However, I did not wipe phone and try that as I have everything set up nicely and did not want to chance spending a day messing with my phone setup instead of working. So I am running snap without turbo now and I really don't notice any difference and am not sure what it is supposed to do for me.

I don't think I need Wimax notifier since Detroit does not have Wimax and as of today Cyanogen does not support Wimax (I am hoping for Monday). I travel on business a lot to cities with 4g so I will eventually need to get a ROM that can handle Wimax so my fingers are crossed that the creators of Cyanogen can figure it out as I don't want to go through the process of installing a different ROM.

I know a lot of people here switch ROMs as a hobby but I want to get this phone set up nicely and not think about it until my contract is up in 22 months.

Calma10

Mar 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I did airplane mode and cfs with no luck - did not try bfs. However, I did not wipe phone and try that as I have everything set up nicely and did not want to chance spending a day messing with my phone setup instead of working. So I am running snap without turbo now and I really don't notice any difference and am not sure what it is supposed to do for me.

I don't think I need Wimax notifier since Detroit does not have Wimax and as of today Cyanogen does not support Wimax (I am hoping for Monday). I travel on business a lot to cities with 4g so I will eventually need to get a ROM that can handle Wimax so my fingers are crossed that the creators of Cyanogen can figure it out as I don't want to go through the process of installing a different ROM.

I know a lot of people here switch ROMs as a hobby but I want to get this phone set up nicely and not think about it until my contract is up in 22 months.

Turbo will increase the speed of the phone, and the scores on benchmarks.

try switching between cfs to bfs depending on your phone, you might see a different. I always get bootlooops on bfs, thats why I only used cfs on my phone.

Wimax notifier is an app that uses the leds from wimax(leds on the right side of the phone). Every time you get an MMS or SMS it will show you a green and red led. very helpful if you have your phone is in silent mode, you will easily know if you got an SMS/MMS.

are you running stable or nightly CM?