Best way to root a new EVO on Mac?

igobytony

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I did a quick search and didn't see anything Mac specific. I'm going to go look around more at xda, but figured I'd check here real quick.

It's been a couple weeks since I read the EVO root for windows sticky here, so I don't recall if someone in tjereentipned how to do the same on Mac.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Reactions: igobytony

igobytony

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Perfect, thanks! Hopefully internet is back on at my apartment tomorrow so I can reread on my laptop. I had seen this before, but I guess I jusr didn't dig deep enough when I searched for Ott using tapatalk.

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
make sure you check your HBOOT AND THAT IT APPLIES!!!! otherwise you'll be in a heep...

people on here don't use mac too often, if you mess up... it'll be hard to fix unless you get a windows computer.

Reactions: igobytony

igobytony

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
make sure you check your HBOOT AND THAT IT APPLIES!!!! otherwise you'll be in a heep...

people on here don't use mac too often, if you mess up... it'll be hard to fix unless you get a windows computer.

Thanks, I will. I've been reading up on here about how to root since a couple weeks before I got the EVO, and it sound like the h boot version makes all the difference in the world with EVO.

Any idea why there aren't many Mac owners that do it? They usually just too locked into the iCulture or something?

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I will. I've been reading up on here about how to root since a couple weeks before I got the EVO, and it sound like the h boot version makes all the difference in the world with EVO.

Any idea why there aren't many Mac owners that do it? They usually just too locked into the iCulture or something?

I'd say so. I wont deny the usefulness and hardware of a mac, but ive turned into an ubuntu man myself :)

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Well, i'm a mac user, and it can be done. To be honest, i'm sure it's not all that different than the windows method... the only difference is if you had to run the RUU. HTC Sync isn't available for mac.

The funny thing is that Android has a lot of similarities to linux. Linux, ubuntu and mac os are quite similar as well... so it is odd there aren't many mac users rooting Evo's...

If you were to look at the root version for windows... it can be done on a mac, i'd be willing to help you out. I know A LOT more now than i did when I started, so if you'd like me to look into it i will. You do need to verify your hboot as well as some other things. You'll need the updated SDK for the mac as well...

You could... also run boot camp. Problem is you might have to reformat the internal hard drive. But... you could also run RAID on your mac... that is specifically for running another OS on your mac simultaneously... check it out.

PM me if you wanna look into this a bit more...

igobytony

Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Well, i'm a mac user, and it can be done. To be honest, i'm sure it's not all that different than the windows method... the only difference is if you had to run the RUU. HTC Sync isn't available for mac.

The funny thing is that Android has a lot of similarities to linux. Linux, ubuntu and mac os are quite similar as well... so it is odd there aren't many mac users rooting Evo's...

If you were to look at the root version for windows... it can be done on a mac, i'd be willing to help you out. I know A LOT more now than i did when I started, so if you'd like me to look into it i will. You do need to verify your hboot as well as some other things. You'll need the updated SDK for the mac as well...

You could... also run boot camp. Problem is you might have to reformat the internal hard drive. But... you could also run RAID on your mac... that is specifically for running another OS on your mac simultaneously... check it out.

PM me if you wanna look into this a bit more...

Thanks! I'll check tonight to see what my h-boot is. I downloaded the sdk already, but I have yet to get the proper version, because I wasn't sure if I'd need 2.1 or 2.2 for the root.

I need to move some videos of my laptop also to make a little more room for whatever else I may need. (I always have it too full.I haven't even been able to update my software in a couple weeks, LOL.)

Anyway, I really appreciate the offer, and I'll definitely message you when I'm ready to ask questions and dive in.

Thanks again.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87