unroot issues

savva

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
ok i have a evo 4g and used the unrevoked3 to root it.

well, i want to go back to unrooted.

I am on a mac and the sticky link doesnt work for me, i tried a windows pc and the how to still doesnt work.

here it is, after searching and searching, i want some help to get back and i dont need posts telling me its better rooted and why would i want to go back. i just need some help.

thanks.

savva

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
one more thing, how can i back up all my apps, settings and contacts?

is there an easy way through the boot menu to just wipe clean and go back to out of the box settings?

bassmanxu

May 7, 2010
Visit site
ok i have a evo 4g and used the unrevoked3 to root it.

well, i want to go back to unrooted.

I am on a mac and the sticky link doesnt work for me, i tried a windows pc and the how to still doesnt work.

here it is, after searching and searching, i want some help to get back and i dont need posts telling me its better rooted and why would i want to go back. i just need some help.

thanks.

Give this thread over at XDA a try. It has a video walkthrough as well. A factory reset from the bootloader will wipe everything and give you a clean slate (to do this, you select "Clear Storage" option from the bootloader). Good luck

Last edited:

bassmanxu

May 7, 2010
Visit site
how can i save all my contacts?

Easiest way is to sync them through Gmail. If all your contacts are Google contacts, then you will be prompted to login into your google account again after you reset the phone (just like when you first got the phone).

bassmanxu

May 7, 2010
Visit site
thats what i thought but when i try to sync my gmail account it doesnt load my contacts to my gmail online.

Hmmm. Open up your Contacts app, then hit the Menu button, then hit View. Google should be selected, not phone. Is that the case?

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
You should also download AppBrain so you can easily install your apps again.

You could always run windows in Virtual Box

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
If your contacts are stored in the phone a quick way to get them to be stored as Google contacts would be to export them to your SD Card then re-import them, when you re-import them it will ask if you want to import them as phone contacts or google contacts, you can choose google and they'll sync up.

savva

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
when i do the XDA method after it tries to load the new imgpc36 or what ever it says " main version is older! update fail! do you still want to reboot device?"

when i hit yes it just rebots and nothing changes.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Yep you probably have a newer version than the file is. So uhmm ill try to find a newer one, but in the mean time why can you get ahold of a windows pc or use a virtual machine.

Try loading it one more time though...

savva

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
one more thing, am i to understant that when this new update comes out soon, if i OTA update it it will get rid of my root and go back to the way it was plus new updates?

savva

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
haha sorry for all these newb questions but i figured this is the best place to ask.

one more for you guys haha, how do i know my root is gone? i have titanium backup on my phone along with the busy box and superuser permission icon, if its unrooted will they still be there till i uninstall them and just not work?

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Yes it will, and the update is already out.

I suspect that you ran unrevoked and got root then stayed on the stock rom, possibly without full root because you might have the new hboot depending on how new your phone is.

You can update and keep root btw.

Could i ask why you want to go back to stock?

savva

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
i tried to do the phone updates from the settings menu and no updates came in, it said im all up to date and no changes applied.

I originally rooted just to freeze a bunch of apps (amazon, spring, nascar etc etc) to save battery, batt still blows after freezing apps lol so i just want to go back to the way it was for warranty, service crap

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
i tried to do the phone updates from the settings menu and no updates came in, it said im all up to date and no changes applied.

I originally rooted just to freeze a bunch of apps (amazon, spring, nascar etc etc) to save battery, batt still blows after freezing apps lol so i just want to go back to the way it was for warranty, service crap

Well of course. Freezing apps isnt gonna do a thing, underclocking will...

You just need ta read up haha. Task killers dont help btw, i get the feeling your using one.

igotsanevo4g

Retired Moderator
Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
If you cant get back to stock by tommorrow or the next day, ill pull a stock unrooted PC36 from the RUU for you when i get a chance.

savva

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
nope no task killer, only mods is titanium backup freezing apps. so i just load that pc36 img to my sdcard and go to the bootloader/recovery/update new image?

savva

Dec 15, 2010
Visit site
cool, is there a link to get the newest pc36 file?

last question lol...

when it uploads the new file the phone will no longer be rooted and can be taken back to sprint and pass inspection?

thanks a lot guys.