kernal question

mhuggins

May 10, 2010
Visit site
ok i know im a noob for asking cause i see all of the "BEST KERNAL" threads but im getting mixed signals. i want a good kernal to help improve battery life on my stock battery but i dont want to sacrafice performance. im gonna try the new warm2.2 out ..... any suggestion on kernals to try out. THANKS in advance :confused:

Mark_in_Tulsa

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
As long as you pick out one of the more popular ones you will get better battery life and better power. Which one is the best varies because every phone seems to be different.

Me personally I like Netarchy's Kernels.
[GPL][Kernel]netarchy-toastmod, Stable: 4.1.9.1 Beta: 4.3.1 - xda-developers

I am currently using his 4.3.1 beta with no problems.

I think a lot of the time when choosing a Kernel its which one has a developer that offers plenty of info, help and support.

Edit also, I am using Myn's RLS5 ROM with it.

OrangeGTP

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
ok i know im a noob for asking cause i see all of the "BEST KERNAL" threads but im getting mixed signals. i want a good kernal to help improve battery life on my stock battery but i dont want to sacrafice performance. im gonna try the new warm2.2 out ..... any suggestion on kernals to try out. THANKS in advance :confused:

so far since going to myn warm rls5 from rls4...im using the kernal preloaded which is htc #15....im getting excellent life from it. i havent used it much today except for facebook and texting and bout 20 min of angry birds....and ive had it unplugged for 20 hours and im at 62% left (light usage). when i unplugged it took about 30 min to go from 100% to 93% but since then its been pretty steady.

mhuggins

May 10, 2010
Visit site
so far since going to myn warm rls5 from rls4...im using the kernal preloaded which is htc #15....im getting excellent life from it. i havent used it much today except for facebook and texting and bout 20 min of angry birds....and ive had it unplugged for 20 hours and im at 62% left (light usage). when i unplugged it took about 30 min to go from 100% to 93% but since then its been pretty steady.

thanks for the responce are you using the stock battery or an extended one. i know alot of people that have good life have those extended one....

OrangeGTP

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the responce are you using the stock battery or an extended one. i know alot of people that have good life have those extended one....

stock. i havent seen any need for what i do to get an extended one...i can go all day without charging for what i do and always have a way to charge if needed.

its just all about how you use your phone...everyones usage and life will be different...like today is a light day for me...the rest of the week will be moderate to heavy since i use gps all the time for work and more internet cuz i get bored...but i can still go from 5 or 6am to when i go to bed without charging....its a beautiful thing :)

mhuggins

May 10, 2010
Visit site
As long as you pick out one of the more popular ones you will get better battery life and better power. Which one is the best varies because every phone seems to be different.

Me personally I like Netarchy's Kernels.
[GPL][Kernel]netarchy-toastmod, Stable: 4.1.9.1 Beta: 4.3.1 - xda-developers

I am currently using his 4.3.1 beta with no problems.

I think a lot of the time when choosing a Kernel its which one has a developer that offers plenty of info, help and support.

Edit also, I am using Myn's RLS5 ROM with it.

ok so here is the noob in me because ive only been rooted for a week now ... but it says Stable: 4.1.9.1 Beta: 4.3.1 does that mean its not fully stable and may cause problems or it is stable ??????

RUSH

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The best kernel would be the one that comes with the phone(stock). Even if you change the kernel - battery life will suck then, just as it does with stock.

OrangeGTP

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
ok so here is the noob in me because ive only been rooted for a week now ... but it says Stable: 4.1.9.1 Beta: 4.3.1 does that mean its not fully stable and may cause problems or it is stable ??????

just 2 different versions...the stable one probably has been shown to work on alot of the phones with no hiccups....each phone is different...we could put the same exact setup on both our phones and yours may take it better than mine would....just the nature of the beast and thats why there are usually plenty of options to choose from to see what works best for you.

mhuggins

May 10, 2010
Visit site
stock. i havent seen any need for what i do to get an extended one...i can go all day without charging for what i do and always have a way to charge if needed.

its just all about how you use your phone...everyones usage and life will be different...like today is a light day for me...the rest of the week will be moderate to heavy since i use gps all the time for work and more internet cuz i get bored...but i can still go from 5 or 6am to when i go to bed without charging....its a beautiful thing :)

see thats what i need to know i use my phone for a lot of phone calls and text and emails so i usually charge up around 3 or 4 in the afternoon to make it to bed time. i rooted my phone and paid for setcpu and its gotten better. so ive been looking at roms and kernals.. warm 2.2 and azreal look good so thats what i eanted to hear is how u use your phone and hows the battery life.. thanks alot

OrangeGTP

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
see thats what i need to know i use my phone for a lot of phone calls and text and emails so i usually charge up around 3 or 4 in the afternoon to make it to bed time. i rooted my phone and paid for setcpu and its gotten better. so ive been looking at roms and kernals.. warm 2.2 and azreal look good so thats what i eanted to hear is how u use your phone and hows the battery life.. thanks alot

no problem...ive been using myns since i got my evo a couple weeks ago. you cant go wrong with it! thats what i did with rls4 i kept trying different kernals to see what worked best and nets 4.3.1 sbc no havs worked best...then i upgraded to rls5 using htc #15 and so far so good.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
The best kernel would be the one that comes with the phone(stock). Even if you change the kernel - battery life will suck then, just as it does with stock.

With all due respect...... It's pretty obvious that you really have no idea what you're talking about. Do other people a favor and don't post or offer "advice" if the "advice" you're giving is inaccurate and pass it off as fact. It's not fair to the person asking for help to be thrown off or misguided by someone passing along their inaccurate opinion as fact...

With that said, battery life with the netarchy kernels have given me the best battery life and performance so far. Far better than the stock htc kernel. SetPCU will drastically improve battery life regardless of the kernel, but from my experience of flashing basically every kernel that's been available by every developer, the netarchy line has given me the best when used with SetPCU. Ziggy is pretty good too.

OO.. and whatever you use... DONT USE THE SBC Trickle charging kernels

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
lol... :cool:

K Now I understood Jerzy

I think I might need to use SetCPU again... Its been long enough I should give it a shot

the older versions never wanted to play nice sooooo I would get mad and Nuke it

Last edited:

mhuggins

May 10, 2010
Visit site
ok i flashed the new warm 2.2 and i like the rom but my battery has steadly dropped every hour and im not even doing anything.... is their a wiki or a list of kernals and what they do????? performance wise

edit i just read up on some kernals and i saw the issue with pri and prl 1.90 or whatever and it says to go back to the 1.77. now i am a noob right now at this but on warm2.2 rls5 it says to make sure to be on the 1.90 so is it gonna mess up if i flash the 1.90

THANKS

Last edited:

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
ok i flashed the new warm 2.2 and i like the rom but my battery has steadly dropped every hour and im not even doing anything.... is their a wiki or a list of kernals and what they do????? performance wise

edit i just read up on some kernals and i saw the issue with pri and prl 1.90 or whatever and it says to go back to the 1.77. now i am a noob right now at this but on warm2.2 rls5 it says to make sure to be on the 1.90 so is it gonna mess up if i flash the 1.90

THANKS

I dont see why I would need to... -___-

My phone is working fine without that change

mhuggins

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I dont see why I would need to... -___-

My phone is working fine without that change

So you havent noticed a bad drain in the battery.... i mena i was unplugged 2 10 in the morning and 2 lunch time i was at 50 so i didnt know if i could roll back to the 1.77 on the rom with out it messing anything up. and thanks for the response

d3xn2o

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
So you havent noticed a bad drain in the battery.... i mena i was unplugged 2 10 in the morning and 2 lunch time i was at 50 so i didnt know if i could roll back to the 1.77 on the rom with out it messing anything up. and thanks for the response

I unplugged at 7:20 and at 10:30 I was at 95%

Im on HTC #15 - Stock

I have no Drain on my battery

evoKY

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

THANKS

If you are having severe battery drain on RLS5 you can safely downgrade your PRI to 1.77. It has been an issue with some people causing troubles. See if that fixes the quick battery drain. Also, the new kernel that is with RLS5 is very good. I've been unplugged for just about 10 hours and have 80% battery left being on wifi all day. It may take a few days to settle in.

The zip for the PRI can be found here [ Radios ][ 12-17 ] All EVO Radio, WiMAX, PRI, NV & HBoot versions - xda-developers

Reactions: mhuggins

mhuggins

May 10, 2010
Visit site
great thanks fo rthe response ill down grade the pri to 1.77 and see if that helps do i need to roll back the NV as well???

mhuggins

May 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks I'm just new to rooting and this is my first Rom I flashed and nowmy battery is draining like this just got me worried. I hope the rollback helps because i like this Rom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa