New question about root!

rapmaster0#AC

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys, I have always been a fan of the forum, checking out the homepage almost everyday. Started off with precentral with my pre, and believe it or not switched over to the Evo because of the forums.

Long story short, I just got the 2x Seidio battery, bigger, bit heavier, but GREAT battery life. However, I want to overclock it like i did with my pre. I have some knowledge on rooting and installing kernals (since I did it with my pre). But I have some questions.

1. Is it possible to root and overclock and keep the stock Sprint interface (I'm assuming that its called ROM?). The reason for that is because I want to keep the widgets such as the one for 4g, and basically everything that made the phone fit for Sprint.

2. If that is possible, then can someone give me a quick walkthrough, I can always research and do the rest if I don't get it right there and then.

Thanks guys!!!!

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys, I have always been a fan of the forum, checking out the homepage almost everyday. Started off with precentral with my pre, and believe it or not switched over to the Evo because of the forums.

Long story short, I just got the 2x Seidio battery, bigger, bit heavier, but GREAT battery life. However, I want to overclock it like i did with my pre. I have some knowledge on rooting and installing kernals (since I did it with my pre). But I have some questions.

1. Is it possible to root and overclock and keep the stock Sprint interface (I'm assuming that its called ROM?). The reason for that is because I want to keep the widgets such as the one for 4g, and basically everything that made the phone fit for Sprint.

2. If that is possible, then can someone give me a quick walkthrough, I can always research and do the rest if I don't get it right there and then.

Thanks guys!!!!

Here's a guide I made for rooting! http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...3-7-hboot2-02-w-screen-shots-1-27-2011-a.html

I hope it can help you out.

You can get a rooted version of the stock ROM but at the end of that root method you'll have a rom called sprint lovers which is extremely close to stock, just tweaked a bit and rooted.

Congrats on the Evo!

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site

Thanks guys!!!!

1. The Sprint interface is called a "launcher". Specifically, what you want is the HTC Sense launcher. That being said, you want a ROM that has HTC Sense. Note that many community Sense ROMs have customizations to the Sense launcher--the Sprint Lover's ROM does not.

2. Here's a quick glossary of terms:
- ROM: software package almost always containing a kernel, OS and apps that make the phone work; controls how the user and software interact with the OS.
- Kernel: lower level OS software; controls how the hardware (battery, CPU, etc) interacts with the OS
- Launcher: it's your user interface and app launcher
- Fun: the HTC Evo... meh... this one is gratuitous.. ;)

Anyway, so hope that clears it up for you. In order to do what you want, you want a new kernel so that the OS can have more control over the hardware (i.e. CPU).

Next, you want an app that will control the CPU speed. I use setCPU, and this is very popular and I recommend it. If you don't like the price, you can find a different app that is free, but I forget the name so google might be your friend there.

rapmaster0#AC

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so if I understand it right, I can't root and keep the phone the same way?

And I'm assuming the way how the music player and the widgets for 4g, ect... is not the same when you root?

The reason why I'm adamant about the stock rom is that I read about crashing and bugs, and I don't want to be in a situation where my phone gets all bugged out and I can't do anything about it.

lornaevo

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so if I understand it right, I can't root and keep the phone the same way?

And I'm assuming the way how the music player and the widgets for 4g, ect... is not the same when you root?

The reason why I'm adamant about the stock rom is that I read about crashing and bugs, and I don't want to be in a situation where my phone gets all bugged out and I can't do anything about it.

You can root and keep it stock. You don't need to load any custom roms. But you will have to flash a kernel that allows overclocking. But you don't have to change your rom. If you need help, I can help you by gtalk.