Couple Noob Questions

mr.seth.price

May 18, 2010
Visit site
So I'm rooted and have been messing around with some nice root apps for a few months. I think I'm finally ready to go for a new ROM

1: I like the Mry WarmZ (newest one) but on the XDA thread it says for the hulu part to work it needs to not have the current version of flash. I have that version already on my phone currently, when I flash the new rom will it replace it with the correct one if not how do I know which one to put on in place of it? Where do I get that if so?
2: Battery life on the above rom?

3: What's better for overall usablilty..skinned like WarmZ or CM7? I know i have friends that swear by CM7.

4: Do i need to do a nandroid back up everytime. and if so what's the easy way to do it?

What do you guys think is the best between say

MIUI, WarmZ, CM7 (is there something even better [stable] out there that I'm missing?)

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
With regards to the ROM questions, it's all up to user preference. It's best to flash various ROMs and give them a try and see which one you prefer and how it feels to you. Theming is exactly the same thing and it's up to you to decide how you want the device to look.

Doing a Nandroid is not required, but always recommended. If you flash something that messes up the phone you want to have the ability to restore a Nandroid backup. It gives you the opportunity to get setup quickly and not have to factory reset or re-flash the ROM. Keeping a Nandroid is also good when you want to experiment with themes/tweaks/hacks/etc.

When you start to accumulate Nandroid backups simply delete the older files.

Reactions: mr.seth.price

illwood

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Here are my responses in bold.
So I'm rooted and have been messing around with some nice root apps for a few months. I think I'm finally ready to go for a new ROM

1: I like the Mry WarmZ (newest one) but on the XDA thread it says for the hulu part to work it needs to not have the current version of flash. I have that version already on my phone currently, when I flash the new rom will it replace it with the correct one if not how do I know which one to put on in place of it? Where do I get that if so?
The new ROM will wipe out all of your installed and updated apps. You will have exactly what is included in the ROM. If the developers at XDA release a new modification the the Flash app they will likely post the apk there.
2: Battery life on the above rom?
That depends on your usage patterns, background apps, and the kernel/b]

3: What's better for overall usablilty..skinned like WarmZ or CM7? I know i have friends that swear by CM7.
I don't have any experience with WarmZ, but I used to be a big user of the EViO 2 ROM. I found that CM7 with the SavagedZen kernel (SBC) gets me very good battery life. The WarmZ should at least get you better battery life than stock. The nice thing is that you can make a Nandroid backup of your setup and try flashing a different ROM. If you don't like it, restore your Nandroid and you are back with all of your apps and home screens.

4: Do i need to do a nandroid back up everytime. and if so what's the easy way to do it?
Nandroids are a good idea to do before you flash a new ROM. It gives you a way out in case you make a mistake when flashing or you are unhappy with the new ROM.

What do you guys think is the best between say

MIUI, WarmZ, CM7 (is there something even better [stable] out there that I'm missing?)
I am currently running CM7 with Launcher Pro and I like it, but I would give each of them a try and figure out which one suits you best. Do you want an iPhone type user experience? Try MIUI. Do you still like Sense? Give WarmZ a go. Interested in the stock android experience and minimal pre-installed apps? CM7 may be your ROM of choice

Reactions: mr.seth.price

Cares

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
If you like Cyanogen then give evo deck a shot. I like it more than Cyanogen so far. Smoother and has 2.3.4 out while Cyanogen is still in nightlies for that.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

mr.seth.price

May 18, 2010
Visit site
i'll look into it it. I think i'm gonna flash some tonight and give them all a bit to grow before switching.

Another question though. What is the difference between Warm Z and Warm? All the screenshots look the same overall.

flipfone

Apr 5, 2010
Visit site
If you like Cyanogen then give evo deck a shot. I like it more than Cyanogen so far. Smoother and has 2.3.4 out while Cyanogen is still in nightlies for that.

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G

+1 I'm loving evo deck too

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Joe G

May 21, 2011
Visit site
Another question though. What is the difference between Warm Z and Warm? All the screenshots look the same overall.

Warm Z has Sense 2.0 and no 4G support while Warm uses Sense 1.0 and doesn't really have any support issues with coverage. I used Warm for about a week and then tried Warm Z and I haven't looked back!

Also, I like the colors of Warm Z compared to the monotone in Warm. With Sense 2.0 you can change Sense's skin among other great features.

Sent from my EVO 4G using 2 cans & a string