DIY : Custom Colored Capacitive Buttons.

creektrack

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Disclaimer : I am not responsible for any damage you do to your phone during this modification, and I am not held liable if your warranty becomes VOID.

If you would like your capacitive buttons to be a different color, other than white, or even if they are too bright and you want to tone them down a little, then this is the mod for you...It does require taking the phone apart, so if you are afraid of doing this and voiding your warranty, than stop now and wait till your warranty is over...I did this for my EVO 3D and made a write-up for it the other day, and today I got around to doing my wifes 4G, as you can see in the pics, it took me 12 minutes...

You will need your EVO 4G, some transparent vinyl, or any other material you can think to use, some ppl have used tape and different kinds of films, a T6 torx tool, a small phillips screw driver, and a razor blade or scissors to cut the material...
attachment.php

Once you turn off your phone and remove the battery cover, there are 6 screws that you need to remove with the T6 torx tool...There is a sticker on the middle left screw that tells the techs whether or not it has already been opened...
attachment.php

Once those have been removed, you need to take off the back of the phone, you can use a safe plastic tool to do it, or I just used my finger nails, some ppl have even said they used the battery cover...Then there is a small phillips screw in the top right corner that needs to be removed...
attachment.php

Once you have that done, you need to pull up the PCB board from the right to access the LEDs that you need to cover, be careful when doing this as you have ribbons that are still attached and can be broken...In the first pic you can see the LEDs and in the second pic you can see the vinyl that I placed over them...
attachment.php

attachment.php

Once you've done all that, put it back together and enjoy...
attachment.php

deegee

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Cool, good to see some people are actually doing something a bit different with the phone itself then all the software business. Cool!

Dj_Lucy

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I used dry erase makers.....perment ones didnt work........and I.have color chooses....takes 5mins...been doing this mod for.yrs with other phones.