Nice 10 minute video showing of the new 3d games running on the Evo.

Mike20PR

Oct 14, 2009
Visit site
WP7 did not require the Snapdragon. OMAP was the lowest common denominator, although Snapdragon is accepted.

i stand corrected. But still, microsoft with its strict hardware requirements would allow snapdragon because they know that it can handle what a graphically intense os can dish out including its revolutionary games rite?

Still, I have to see it personally to see how bad or so so it is... june 4 can't come soon enough lol

I would not be so surprised though after all the problems lately with winmo phones and qualcomm cpu's, they always cut corners somewhere...

Last edited:

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I have posted this before, but here's a comparison again.

Current Mobile GPUs: Triangles/sec, Fill Rate

PowerVR MBX-Lite (iPhone 3G): 1 M triangles/s, 100 M pixels/s
Samsung S3C6410 (Omnia II): 4 M triangles/s, 125.6 M pixels/s
PowerVR SGX 520 (Palm Pre): 14 M triangles/s, ___ M pixels/s
ATI Imageon Z430 (Toshiba TG01): 22 M triangles/s, 133 M pixels/s
PowerVR SGX 535 (iPhone 3GS): 28 M triangles/s, 400 M pixels/s

Future Mobile GPUs:

PowerVR SGX 540 (TI OMAP4): 35 M triangles/s, 1000 M pixels/s
Nvidia Tegra APX2500 (Zune HD): 40 M triangles/s, 600 M pixels/s
ATI Imageon _ (Qualcomm QSD8672): 80 M triangles/s, >500 M pixels/s

As a side-note, this means the iPhone 3GS' graphic chip may very well be faster than the Toshiba TG01's first-gen (QSD8250) Snapdragon. The next Snapdragon (QSD8672, the dual-core 45nm model in the new Smartbooks) has the latest GPU from the former ATI Imageon team (now part of Qualcomm), which demolishes the PowerVRs and Tegra. Unfortunately it probably won't be hitting phones for a while, so looks iPhone 3GS is top dog for now. Tegra's GPU is fast, but its slow ARM11 CPU will hold it back in general performance.

Looks like the Z430 is an OK GPU, it just pales in comparison to the iPhone 3GS fillrate. But with some optimizing, it should be good enough for most games. I wish they would have indicated what the fillrate on the Pres GPU was.

Oh, and for raw cpu power, the Snapdragon owns the current iPhone 3GS with 2100 mips compared to 1300 mips (million instructions per second)

Too bad the fill rate for the Pre version of the PowerVR is not known, that would make a great comparison. Anyhow, seems like the fillrate is the weakspot for the Snapdragons Z430 GPU with only 133 m pixels, the triangle count is right up there with the 3GS.

I still think it's mostly optimization. Unfortunately you couldn't really judge how good NFS Shift was running during the demo at the NYC event.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
One more thing I want to bring up during this discussion....the Pre and the iPhone render these games at 320 x 480. I wonder at what resolution these games run at on the Evo? Do they run at 800 x 480? If they do, you would expect a bit of a performance hit.

I have quite a few of these games on the Pre, and while they run ok, they don't run flawless on it either. Controlling first person shooters with the virtual stick on the Pres tiny screen is a chore, especially since your thumbs tend to cover up a good amount of screen real estate. Looking at that video again today, yes, there are a few choppy moments, but it's not unplayably awful looking.