Anyone Else Unable to Activate Their Evo?

8tech

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I couldn't update or activate mine. I called and the rep told me to dial ## something something #. I had to edit a field to show my phone number and another field to show another local number.

DrAndroid

May 18, 2010
Visit site
A day from techie hell

What a let down. I put my deposit for the Evo on the first day possible. I read everything I could get my hands on. Today I was at the RS at 5:45. They couldn't get the computers to cooperate. 1 1/2 hours latter they sent me home saying it would update/activate in the next few hours. At home I was on the phone with Sprint for 5 hours doing what the wanted me to do. My old Att phone was deactivated... no phone service for a guy that makes his living on it. After 9 hours they got the phone to work but no internet service. They claim it will be a could of hours more. My guess is that I'll wake up tomorrow and it still won't work. I was very excited about this phone. I'm very disillusioned at the moment. When I told them that I don't expect to pay an activation fee they virtually laughed. Finally I had to tell them that if I return the phone tomorrow I'll have the activation fee waved. She hung up on me. I was as nice as I could be all day but she pushed me to my limits.
Sorry for the rant.

boston_ant

May 12, 2010
Visit site
What a let down. I put my deposit for the Evo on the first day possible. I read everything I could get my hands on. Today I was at the RS at 5:45. They couldn't get the computers to cooperate. 1 1/2 hours latter they sent me home saying it would update/activate in the next few hours. At home I was on the phone with Sprint for 5 hours doing what the wanted me to do. My old Att phone was deactivated... no phone service for a guy that makes his living on it. After 9 hours they got the phone to work but no internet service. They claim it will be a could of hours more. My guess is that I'll wake up tomorrow and it still won't work. I was very excited about this phone. I'm very disillusioned at the moment. When I told them that I don't expect to pay an activation fee they virtually laughed. Finally I had to tell them that if I return the phone tomorrow I'll have the activation fee waved. She hung up on me. I was as nice as I could be all day but she pushed me to my limits.
Sorry for the rant.

Yikes I feel for you man. I was very frustrated when 6pm rolled around, 10 hours after purchasing it and I still couldn't experience my $350 worth ($300 with rebate plus accessories). Keep trying, I just kept powering on/off and manually updating profile in settings, and it eventually did it's thing. Good luck.

DxTcmix

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I ported my number over from at&t earlier this morning at 10:30am from radio shack. Didnt get outta there until almost 1pm, and my phone still has not activated, i have been updating profile for the past 5 hours or so, still nothing, checked port status and its giving a error. Called Sprint and they told me i have to go back to Radio Shack (i have a hard time beleiving i have to go back to radio shack). Sprint Porting 1st put the wrong number in to port, then the store rep had to call them back, and try and fix the port, finally got the port fixed. Now i guess its just a waiting game lol

I am in love with this phone, its everything i thought it was gonna be and then some, i got some V-Moda Faze Headphones with my accessory credit ($49.99) they are amazing.

hachsa

May 19, 2010
Visit site
I bought my Evo at Radioshack, some guy didn't pick his up. I feel EXTREMELY guilty cause he probably REALLY wanted his phone and didnt get it. PS, I went to Radioshack at 7PM, that guy totally just put $50 down the drain.

Good News is I have my Evo, Complete with a 27% monthly discount.
Bad News is the Sprint Activation Problem. I'm not gonna blame it on Sprint at ALL. Im hoping for thier success and if caused a nationwide activation problem, then hopefully that means they got a lot of buyers.

Buzzwyzr

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I had the same problem today after picking up the EVO.

Purchased it outright (current Sprint customer, not eligible for upgrade but too impatient to wait lol). The sales rep at the Sprint store asked me if I wanted her to activate it there in the store and I said no. They were swamped with other customers picking up the EVOs. Their computer system seemed to be overloaded as well because as I sat waiting to be helped, the 3 or 4 customers who were getting their phones activated at the store had been standing and waiting for about 10 minutes.

So I put the EVO on the charger, went about my day, and then went online to activate the phone that way. I went through the steps but was finally told I needed to call CS to complete the swap. So I did.

Everything went smooth. I was told by the rep on the phone that the data part of my phone wouldn't be activated until 1-2 hours later as the network was overloaded with new EVO owners. A lot of activations for Sprint today. But I was immediately able to make and receive phone calls, as well as send and receive text messages.

About an hour and a half later, I get a message saying the software update is available. I check to make sure I can get on the web, activate mobile hotspot, browse the marketplace, etc... did the update and the phones been working flawlessly ever since. :D

DxTcmix

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Got my Port resubmitted and phone is activated now, just waiting for the port to finish and for data service to activate :)

tadrscin#AC

May 17, 2010
Visit site
How are activations today?

Does anyone know if Sprint's system is back to normal today? I have 2 EVOs pre-ordered at RS that I will pick up later today after flying back home. I plan on calling RS when the plane lands to see if they're back up to speed, but I haven't heard anything about how things are going today.

Last edited:

mikeDCMDVA

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Here we are, day two.

I am still unable to activate and update profile.

My phone works using WiFi and 4G, but when I turn them both off and rely on the mobile network (3G), fail fail fail.

It can make calls, but no data, nobody from Sprint could figure it out either.

This really couldn't be a defective unit, could it? =/ The place I bought it from doesn't get a shipment until Tuesday and I don't want to wait!!

imtravis

Jan 1, 2010
Visit site
When they were having issues yesterday, BB actually "locked" my activation status, so Sprint couldn't even autoactivate me (BB computer crashed at the "right" moment). So I ended up leaving BB without an activated Evo, and called Sprint CS and had them manually activate it.. now it's a rockin.

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Decided to port my number today after getting the phone yesterday. Just called CS and
it was a piece of cake. When I was off the phone the port took about 15 minutes to complete.

tadrscin#AC

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Well I went to RS to pick up both phones and in about 30 minutes I left with 2 phones activated, a couple of chargers and a grand total way less than what I was thinking it would be. Both phones are up and running and being charged as I type. Kudos to the U Village RS in Seattle.

boston_ant

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Glad to hear everyone is up and running... yesterday was a nightmare. I actually rented a zipcar just to drive back to Sprint and try to get things figured out. I feel like today was my first real day with the Evo. Now if we can just get Qik up and running properly, then that will be the REAL first day of being able to enjoy our Evo's.

tadrscin#AC

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I didn't do anything. By the time I paid for them, they were already fully activated. I logged into both phones with our gmail accounts and then went home. It couldn't have been easier for me.

muoi13

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I walked out of RS Friday about 2pm without making sure they were activated because I started work at 3pm. I rushed home, threw on our screen protectors, and went out the door. My gf's EVO had activated fine but mine did not since I was unable to get data service. Finally at lunch I had some time to play with my phone and just happened to see Device Self Service in the app drawer; I launched it and was able to get up and running and sync my Gmail.

I'm not sure if what I did would be applicable to anyone else but it's worth a shot before calling CS or their respective vendor.