I am back after a short affair with the Galaxy S3

billgio

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I am not proud to say this, but I recently had a 12 day fling with the Galaxy S3. I was tired of Sense reboots, poor battery life, and low space warnings so I took a chance with the hot new phone on the block.

Everything seemed great at first. I loved the big screen, 16GB of storage, new ICS features. But as the days went on I noticed some big issues. First and foremost the signal quality/reception on the GS3 is absolutely horrendous. I was unable to stream any type of audio half the time and had trouble making calls and sending texts from locations where my Evo has no issues at all. The second big issue was the battery life. Yes I would get an hour or two more than the Evo, but it was not the quantum leap forward I was expecting. I was still only getting about 8 hours of normal use before I had to find a charger.

After a lot of soul searching I decided the GS3 flaws were too serious for me to commit to the phone for two years. The reliable, old, Evo also has its issues, but they are issues that I can work around...at least until the next crop of Android flagship phones are released.

Last edited:

AnnDroid

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Welcome Back ;)

I've been struggling with getting the new EVO or the S3. I looked at the EVO LTE when it first came out and was truly underwhelmed. Haven't looked at the S3 yet. I guess my og EVO still does everything I need and I don't want the 2-year commitment either.

My og EVO doesn't get reboots now that I got rid of the app that was causing it. I was lucky enough to figure out the approx date that it started and went into Google Play, selected My Orders & Settings at the bottom. That has all the apps, in date order. I uninstalled a few apps from around that date and the reboots stopped that day. It's been 4 months since a reboot.

Order a new OEM battery?

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if your old EVO 4G is rooted but there is still alot of development and new ROMs still being made. I won't be getting a new phone anytime soon.

OperationA7X

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
In my opinion, the nicest ICS ROM for the HTC EVO 4G would have to be "Paranoid Android". Easy to install, but the OS is tricky because it turns your EVO into both a Tablet and a Smartphone. But yes, I would use an EVO ONLY if it had a custom ROM.

Sent from my HTC Vivid WCX using Android Central Forums

Illusions

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Sad to hear the SG3 did not perform well. The issues you state can be area specific, and I know that Samsung has had an issue with reception in areas in the past. Sometimes an updated modem driver can help resolve (helped friend fix Samsung Vibrant this way)...

Curious if you did a search on others in your area using the SG3 -- are they experiencing the same issues?

top magoo

Dec 22, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the heads up... i am in a situation where i need to upgrade so my daughter can get my "hand me down" og evo. i am not very happy about it, as my 4g has zero problems, works fantastic, has an extended battery and still looks like it came out of the box.

i was planning to replace it with either the lte or s3. i will give the lte a try, since i cannot tolerate dropping calls.

welcome back to the fold.

billgio

Jun 16, 2010
Visit site
I did a lot of reading about the 4G LTE and it seems to have it's own set of problems including poor reception and multitasking. I think I am going to wait to see what the next Nexus phone is like.

Give the GS3 or the LTE a shot. Maybe your area has better Sprint coverage so the reception will not be an issue.

Pre-dawn raid

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Seems like "upgrading" our Evos is trading one set of problems for another with very few major improvements to be had...screen size, resolution, and processor speeds being the main ones. I was all gung ho to upgrade but after reading the forums I'm sticking with the old Evo. Guess who's $250 richer and contract free!

Reactions: HamRadioNut

flyinb501

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm due for an upgrade in 3 weeks. I was going to get a GS3, but after doing research and learning that 4G LTE will not be available in my areas for some time I bought a co-workers used Evo 4G instead for $75. So far I'm very happy with my purchase. This phone is great, and a huge upgrade from my LG Optimus S!

Hopefully something upgrade worthy will come out by next spring.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty