Why do apps run that I never loaded?

californiajay

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Why is it that Android phones will have apps running even though they were never started by the user? I very often look at Advanced Task Manager and see things running that I have not only not started myself, but never once even used since owning the phone! Yet there they are, chugging away eating up resources! At this very moment there are 16 apps listed as running in Advanced Task Manager that I never started up since the last time I rebooted the phone. Why?

californiajay

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
From that link...

>>An application starts, either because you started it or the developer sees a benefit in having it run behind the scenes<<

So if I didn't start it, the developer decided it should be running? That's my answer? If that's so, then I am seeing some pretty poor app development. I see no reason in the world for apps such as ebay, online radio, citysearch, draw, facebook, IM+, sprint football live, to name just a few to have started on my phone without my knowledge. Something is wrong here.
And as far as app killers go, I have heard it all before but if I do NOT kill apps using one the phone eventually starts to crawl and the battery starts to deplete!

Jerry-O

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
I agree that bloatware is a problem on the EVO. I am not in the task killer camp, but is there an app that manages what happens on startup where you can select what starts (or not)?

eye4ni

May 17, 2010
Visit site
We pay all this money for a top of the line phone and we cannot control what apps are installed and/or start-up without reason? I am also quite irritated with all the crap on my phone that I have never opened or never used that just randomly shows up in the running apps.

All of the Sprint apps need to die, I do not want ANY of them. Sad the only way to stop these is to root your phone.... which I may do soon, just have been reluctant within my 30 day return period.

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Android preloads apps on boot based on what you commonly use. At first, it has no data for it to derive this, and thus just uses whatever the ROM says as default. It will slowly adjust and you'll see it preload less and less of the apps you don't use, and more of the apps you do.

Also note that just because an app has been cached, does not mean performance or battery life is affected in any way. In fact, if you kill them off when you might use them, that would negatively impact your performance. Android will clear them from cache as needed, and they are NOT actually running, so no battery usage.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Its in the apps permissions. If you download an app, thats screen with the orange text will tell you if that app starts up on boot or not.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
From that link...

>>An application starts, either because you started it or the developer sees a benefit in having it run behind the scenes<<

So if I didn't start it, the developer decided it should be running? That's my answer? If that's so, then I am seeing some pretty poor app development. I see no reason in the world for apps such as ebay, online radio, citysearch, draw, facebook, IM+, sprint football live, to name just a few to have started on my phone without my knowledge. Something is wrong here.
And as far as app killers go, I have heard it all before but if I do NOT kill apps using one the phone eventually starts to crawl and the battery starts to deplete!

Yes it sucks, but it's to make sure things thatcan work together do work together. I agree the coding can be better, though, like once the app has checked if it's needed it should close.

I agree that bloatware is a problem on the EVO. I am not in the task killer camp, but is there an app that manages what happens on startup where you can select what starts (or not)?

There is. I think it's called start up manager. U have to root to use it, though.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I can understand the need/desire to erase unwanted bloatware from your phone's storage memory, it will free program memory for you to store more of your apps. However, I don't see the issue with apps opening automatically and staying dormant on the background.

Yes, we would like to keep those apps from ever running (or being installed on our phones in the first place). But the reality is as long as they are not working on the background (updating or downloading data), they just sit there and do nothing. When the OS needs the memory, it kills those dormant apps automatically. As it was pointed out, some of those open to allow other functions to work ~ I don't think this applies to any of the Sprint stuff.

You can open Facebook, Tweet or GTalk, and other programs that do background sync, and disable the automatic sync function, they may still load, but will not consume any resources and will not affect your battery life or function in any meaningful way.

I would welcome Sprint offering non-carrier subsadized versions of their smartphone (without any Sprint bloatware of course) so those who don't like the bloatware can have the option.

pank

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't know (forgive me but I'm new to Android) but my memory gets down to around 70M with all the sprint apps and other bloatware loading. Disabling those at startup does really have an impact (now normally 200M).

kennycrudup

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't know (forgive me but I'm new to Android) but my memory gets down to around 70M with all the sprint apps and other bloatware loading. Disabling those at startup does really have an impact (now normally 200M).

There's a saying in aviation: "There's nothing as useless as the sky above you, or fuel on the ground." Add to that kind of wisdom "unused memory"; if it's going unused, it's being wasted, plain and simple. If an app needs more RAM, then memory contents that were earliest loaded and currently unused will be discarded until it's needed again (if at all); it's called "demand paging", the backbone of the Linux OS memory-management system.

Android knows better what to do with the RAM than you do- so let it do it.

posguy99

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
I can understand the need/desire to erase unwanted bloatware from your phone's storage memory, it will free program memory for you to store more of your apps.

Except that it won't, of course, since system applications are stored on a different filesystem than user applications.

But don't let facts stop you, or anything.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Except that it won't, of course, since system applications are stored on a different filesystem than user applications.

But don't let facts stop you, or anything.

No need to be sarcastic or anything, I stand corrected.

We are all here to share our collective knowledge, no one has all the answers.