Thinking of ditching the Evo for an Epic

Existing evo owners, what should i do

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

S4Rs

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I would love some advice here. The evo was my first android phone and i dont know how well android in general is. I have 2 days to return my evo, in which i would get an intercept and hopefully the epic will be out in 30 days and i can return the intercept and get an epic.

My biggest problems with the evo are

1) The software just gets slow some times for brief periods. I notice it when live wallpapers lag, but I just feel that this shouldn't happen and HTCs android version just sucks

2) I hate/dont need all the Sense apps. I do not like friendstream, or the way it works, I dont not see a need for footprints and it drives me nuts how long it takes to make a footprint, peep is also useless to me.

3) I dont like how HTC is going to ignore the 60fps issue. The fact that they cant just switch the refresh rate when an HDMI cable is plugged in is a joke.

4) bluetooth headphones cut out when the evo is in my pocket and it wont auto connect to devices.

The reasons I want an epic

1) I really miss a physical keyboard.

2) I feel like the processor is a lot faster than the evo in every way.

3) It doesn't have a ton of crappy touchwiz apps like sense?(not really sure of this)

4) I think battery life will be better, just screen power alone should be lower.

I will miss the addition of an HDMI on my phone. It would only be rare that i use it but with the DLNA i could VPN to my home network and use DLNA which seems sweet.

As you can see I cant tell much about this since there are no proper epic reviews, or even a release date. I think the keyboard alone is enough to make me switch though. I cant type and walk at the same time on the virtual keyboards out there. swype is great, but when it f's up a word it is a pain in the ass, and it has no nav keys or voice button. Plus emulators suck on the touchscreen controls.

azkevman

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Since most of your 'pros' for switching to the epic are based upon assumptions (being as that you have not actually used the Epic), it would be difficult to make this decision.
If you are that torn on it, then go ahead and return the EVO, use some device until the Epic is out, then spend some time using the epic to compare. Then decide. Who knows, after using the epic, you may decide you like the EVO better.
Also, what is to say a better phone than the Epic wont be announced 30 days after the Epic is out...with Android it is very likely.

S4Rs

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
Another thing that bugs me, is that I do not get notifications on a consistent basis. For instance, I want to get facebook, google voice, and twitter notification from their apps (not the sense apps for facebook and twitter) and they never seem to come in until i use the app or 8 hours later. and my sync time is set for 30 minutes.

If there was a stable cyanogen mod rom, I would probably root and be happy. But it will be a while and i am stuck between a rock and a hard place because i have to return the evo in order to get an epic down the road. I cant afford an unsubsidized price, and i would take a big hit selling the evo on ebay and paying the difference.

Layla.J

Jun 19, 2010
Visit site
I voted that you switch to the epic b/c it sounds like your really not happy with the Evo overall. That said, I've had two Samsung phones and they were both HORRIBLE! I hope you have a better experience if you do decide to give the Epic a try. If leaving Sprint is an option for you, the Droid X may be a better choice imo.

Yourdogsdead

May 15, 2010
Visit site
There is a nice cyanogen ROM coming out tonight if not in a couple of days. If you are truly unhappy with the Evo and think that you would be better off with the Epic, then go for it. Just remember the restocking fee.

UTnick

Mar 25, 2010
Visit site
if you want a stable ROM for root then just root. delete the sprint bloatware. or use the RvU ROM made by resident androidcentral guys listed under Hacks.

if you want a keyboard then buy an Epic, but if you are worried about lag then don't buy a smart phone and find some old clamshell to use.

azkevman

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Another thing that bugs me, is that I do not get notifications on a consistent basis. For instance, I want to get facebook, google voice, and twitter notification from their apps (not the sense apps for facebook and twitter) and they never seem to come in until i use the app or 8 hours later. and my sync time is set for 30 minutes.

If there was a stable cyanogen mod rom, I would probably root and be happy. But it will be a while and i am stuck between a rock and a hard place because i have to return the evo in order to get an epic down the road. I cant afford an unsubsidized price, and i would take a big hit selling the evo on ebay and paying the difference.

FWIW...From what I have been seeing, this is an issue across different devices...not just isolated to the EVO.

TheMobileWorx

May 8, 2010
Visit site
Don't forget the samsung moment had a TON of problems when it was first launched...

If I were you I would wait a month or two after it is out. It seems to be a growing trend that pretty much every new smartphone these days has some sort of MAJOR hardware and or software glitch that makes it through QA testing. Early adopters have always been beta testers to some degree, but this mobile hardware and software race is taking things to a new level. It's like buying the first year of a new model change on a car. Sure you are the first person on the block to have the new swoopy design and cool looking headlights, but you are going to have a lot more problems than the guy who waits 6.5 more months for the next model year!

No sense dealing with the pain of both new phones.

S4Rs

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I guess I am leaning towards root more as the day goes on. I just went through this with the pre, where i spent more time fiddling with it then enjoying it. I definitely have to trim the fat though. Sprint apps, and most HTC ones i think, need to go. 2.1 offers native facebook integration for contacts doesn't it?

jaytank

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Looks like you have made up your mind already and you're looking for some positives from others to keep the EVO - I'd say every single device has it's pros and cons - so ultimately you would have to decide if you want to get EPIC or carry EVO

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Yeah Its on you... Hardware will always get better... Ur going to the epic and look what I just found What is the HTC Ace? | DroidDog Android Blog... Now the hardware on both the epic and the evo are obsolete lol... Its hard to keep up these days... I like the epic but that touch wiz looks horrible imho... sense looks way more polished.. Other then that great phone.. I think it would have been better if they left it stock android.. The processor and gpu are great!! Samsung is not known for its support of their devices.. I imagine updates will take forever.. Htc is good about updating their phones..

cary328is

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I will miss the addition of an HDMI on my phone. It would only be rare that i use it but with the DLNA i could VPN to my home network and use DLNA which seems sweet.

Sounds like you made up your mind. I don't blame you. That's the beauty of Android: Openness. Choice. Options.

Oh by the way, all Galaxy Phones should* have video out through the 3.5mm jack. I know it already has DLNA, but just saying you have this as an option too:

Samsung Galaxy S Video Out Through Audio Port

meyerweb#CB

Banned
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Yeah Its on you... Hardware will always get better... Ur going to the epic and look what I just found What is the HTC Ace? | DroidDog Android Blog... Now the hardware on both the epic and the evo are obsolete lol...

I'll definitely take that rumor with a large grain of salt. A 1.5 GHz processor and much better battery life? Not unless its got a much larger battery.

Nonetheless, your point is well taken. No matter what phone you get, something better will be out long before your contract is up.

AndroidOne

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I've been around smartphones long enough to know there is no perfect device, all are based on calculated design/performance compromises. So far I am quite happy with the Evo, mine don't seem to have any major problems and performs fine most of the time. To be honest, the Evo is close to an ideal smartphone for my needs.

Having said that I do plan to get an Epic when it comes out ~ no I will not get rid of my Evo. I am intrigued by the specs and the physical keyboard which may prove better for my type of work.

At the end of the day is a matter of choice. But if you are looking for a device that will perform flawlessly all the time, you will likely have to build it yourself... it does not exist yet!

youngzayiles

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I'll definitely take that rumor with a large grain of salt. A 1.5 GHz processor and much better battery life? Not unless its got a much larger battery.

Nonetheless, your point is well taken. No matter what phone you get, something better will be out long before your contract is up.

Yeah I wouldn't doubt the 1.5 ghz to be coming soon because the Windows 7 phones are said to have processors that size... and I believe just like they did with the hd2 a Android phone with the same processor size would be soon to follow. Don't know about the battery life because that processor would be hungry but hey its possible.. I do wonder how the galaxy s will fair with battery life considering that its supposed to use very little power with black backgrounds due to its super amoled..

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I will say this to the OP, if you aren't 100% convinced that the device you own is right for you, then you should change devices. The words thing is to settle for something that you really don't want and know that there is something that you do want out there. I can't agree with your reasons for not wanting the EVO. I love mine. Actually, I had a settled for a blackberry smartphone and tried to convince myself that it was all I needed. When the EVO came out, I almost felt disgusted. My Tour was a great phone, but not the one I wanted. I was only happy when I got my EVO.

slschmidt76

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
How can you be "torn" abput a phone that you have never even tried? Doesn't make much sense to me but to each his own. By the way I'm sure the Epic will be loaded with yet more crap you feel useless.

aimzmarie

May 9, 2010
Visit site
my problem with samsung is they have little to no support or updates coming to their phones. htc, in my opinion, is a little better at sending updates to fix bugs.

i think if you root and run a vanilla android rom, you will probably be much happier. i've been wanting to do this so badly but i have a mac and can't root with my comp b/c i did the ota update. root is great and android developers really work hard.

but as others have said, that you need a physical keyboard, then the answer is obvious. i am not a samsung fan. i never had a samsung smart phone before but i've had 2 samsung dumbphones and been extremely disappointed. but that's me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez