Anyone get a Sprint replacement EVO?

ManxMariner

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Because of my update woes, I received from Sprint a large box with a small box containing just the phone. This is not the normal box you get at retail but a smaller box about the size of the phone. Then they gave me a plastic bag with a black battery in it and a generic Sanyo charger that is 5.0v/800ma.

I'm not trying to be anal about the battery but I like the red battery because it matches and if I have to take the phone into a Sprint store I can see them raising their eyebrows about a different battery being in there.

The replacement wall charger is a one piece generic Sanyo charger that does not meet the 2-piece HTC charger specs of 5v/1A

There was no SD card in the phone so I took my original phone's SD card out and put in my new EVO.

Now the questions:

Do I use the new battery or the old battery. Is there some change in the battery? They have the same specs just different colors.

Is there a problem with the old 2-piece chargers and is that why they sent me a 1-piece charger? The 2-piece HTC is definitely nicer and more versatile.

Or, do I just keep them all and just send back the EVO only that the latest update screwed up? :D

BTW, the new EVO is running the FW 2.1-update1, Baseband 1.39.00.05.31, and Software Number 1.32.651.6

Maven454

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
The charger should be okay, it will just charge slightly slower since it's only 800mA. I would use the HTC branded red battery instead of the random black one that they gave you.

atomicdog21

Mar 17, 2010
Visit site
Not to nitpick, but if Sprint can't even send you OEM parts, there is a big problem on their end. Refurbished phones on insurance? Fine if they have to. A Sanyo charger to go with your HTC EVO? Even if it works, it just seems to show they don't care. My two cents.

millcity215

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Take it all

All you have to send back for a replacement is the phone. You keep the extra battery and the charger. If you read the little card they sent you, it specifically says to not ship the battery back... you keep everything.

ManxMariner

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
All you have to send back for a replacement is the phone. You keep the extra battery and the charger. If you read the little card they sent you, it specifically says to not ship the battery back... you keep everything.

I didn't get a "little card", I received three 8-1/2" x 11" printouts. On one sheet it says in small print: Note: Please keep your original battery and charger unless Sprint has supplied you with a replacement.

But, I can't really see how all these items will fit in that mail pouch and I'm not giving up my original charger and battery.

BTW, I received a mail pouch that doesn't seem like it would protect the screen very well in shipping. I can see them blaming me for it getting broken.

coolqf

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Keep the accessories and mail it in as is. If your conscience bothers you, then mail back the accessories that you feel more uncomfortable with. Don't worry about the packaging for the shipping. It's Sprint standard practice and the phone will have to go through their standard tests to gain refurbish status.

digmys

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
If I were you I would be excited, you now have an extra charger.

I did an exchange in store within my first 30 days and was told that i can keep everything but the phone and the battery that came with my original, including the SD card. So I now have 2 chargers, and 2 SD Cards. So keep it all other than the phone and battery.

duke duke

Jul 1, 2010
Visit site
If I were you I would be excited, you now have an extra charger.

I did an exchange in store within my first 30 days and was told that i can keep everything but the phone and the battery that came with my original, including the SD card. So I now have 2 chargers, and 2 SD Cards. So keep it all other than the phone and battery.

Sprint actually gave me different information. I was told that if I didn't return accessories, I would be charged for them. I did, however, keep the ones I liked better.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
That's how the replacement thing works.

When I got my Pre replacements, I had to take the old battery out and use the new battery.

When they gave me a Pre with a battery already in it (happened only once out of the 4 times, lol)... then I took the battery out and used it as a replacement.
I sent them back a Pre without a battery.

Call Sprint just to check if you want to make sure.
I did and the lady told me to take the extra battery. For yourself, ask about the charger.

rcollins001

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Replacement EVO

I received my replacement EVO yesterday from Sprint. I had ordered the first one on line. Mine came in the same box as the first phone did. I sent back everything from the first phone to Sprint. Why are you keeping a mixed up mess if it is within the 30 day period

sqeet

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I got a replacement from Sprint via insurance. I kept both batteries and SD Cards and only sent back the broken phone. No repercussions so far.

I too kept the red battery because I like it better.

sYnOnYx

May 20, 2010
Visit site
From what I remember being told, They don't reuse batteries or accessories. So sprint prolly recycles them or something.

I Kept my Pre's extra battery when I shipped mine in, nothing ever happened.

I would keep em, and if they said anything I would just play stupid.

BigAinCA

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
I had to send my EVO back to Sprint and they sent me a return package and in the instructions it states "All returned and exchanged phones must be received undamaged in the original package, including accessories and other key components (manuals, packaging, battery, charger, etc.). ... If any contents are missing or if incorrect equipment is received, a credit or refund may not be processed, and the incorrect items sent to us cannot be returned.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty