Super sucky battery life!

Primetimeplaya

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Why do people keep posting pics of the time the phone has run since it's been unplugged? That's not really what matters. I haven't noticed any pics of their phone's up time during that 24 hours or so.

Please post a pic of that. Just because the phone can stay on that long, doesn't mean a thing if you can't get but 3 hours of actual use out of it.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
That picture posted with the 1day usage doesn't prove anything. Only thing it shows is you dont use your phone at all.

The most I can get out a battery charge is like 5 or 6 hours at most now. I had to pick up the two batteries from eBay for $10.

And that comment proves you are absolutely clueless and don't know what you're talking about. My awake time is usually about 25% - 40% of whatever my up time. Which is why I'll get anywhere from 15 hrs to over a day.

dcfella

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I get about 4-6 hours with heavy, constant use. I get probably about 12-18 hours with normal useage(gtalk and pingchat always on, wifi+bluetooth on, gmail set for constant sync, and moderate web browsing). This is fine with me since I have the cheap ebay batteries and I can charge at my work/home computer if need be. My old blackberry curve 8700 wasn't much better.

I also found that leaving the GPS on doesn't really affect battery as much as I thought it would. I left my GPS on when I flew to Boston last week so I could finally use the "Footprints", and battery life was still about the same.

Primetimeplaya

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I get about 4-6 hours with heavy, constant use. I get probably about 12-18 hours with normal useage(gtalk and pingchat always on, wifi+bluetooth on, gmail set for constant sync, and moderate web browsing). This is fine with me since I have the cheap ebay batteries and I can charge at my work/home computer if need be. My old blackberry curve 8700 wasn't much better.

I also found that leaving the GPS on doesn't really affect battery as much as I thought it would. I left my GPS on when I flew to Boston last week so I could finally use the "Footprints", and battery life was still about the same.

In that case, I have a defective battery. With moderate use, I get a little over 3 hours of use.

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
In that case, I have a defective battery. With moderate use, I get a little over 3 hours of use.

Defective battery or a rogue app. Either way it's not running right. Which is why people like myself stand by the battery claims. The Evo does not have perfect battery life, but it's far from "super sucky". I get well over 6 hours of ACTUAL use out of my Evo. Hell the other day I saw Minority Report and The Crazies using Rock Player and still had over 50% left.

chrisho

May 14, 2010
www.chrishophotos.com
rooted on cyanogen nightlies and get about 12-24hrs on mod/heavy usage.
4g(off)/wifi(on) only at home/GPS(off)/brightness set to low/ with ATK on manual kill. on seidio's extended.

off the charger at 8am and by the time i get home from work(7pm) i'm around 40-60%. i'm on facebook/twitter/text/voice alot!

criffaaa1

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
at first i had a similar issue, however after a week with my evo and running through a couple battery conditioning cycles i got 12+hrs yesterday,and today im at 10+ so far.

Primetimeplaya

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Defective battery or a rogue app. Either way it's not running right. Which is why people like myself stand by the battery claims. The Evo does not have perfect battery life, but it's far from "super sucky". I get well over 6 hours of ACTUAL use out of my Evo. Hell the other day I saw Minority Report and The Crazies using Rock Player and still had over 50% left.

If it's a rougue app, then i've had it from a couple days in. The battery life has always been like this. One other thing I've noticed about the battery is that no matter what I'm doing, at the 15 minute mark the battery loses it's first section of the 10 on the battery.

taniabonita52

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I get great battery life on my phone. This is what I do with it:

1. GPS off. I dont need it on unless an app needs it or I am lost.

2. WiFi on when needed.

3. Screen set to 1 minute before it sleeps.

4. Display light down a bit.

5. Email checks once a day. (if I need to check repeatedly for something, I just refresh the mail. no biggie. I am used to this already. I see how this may be a problem for people who need email reception to be instantaneous though if it is job-related.)

6. I sign out of apps that may keep me signed in while running, like Photobucket. I don't know if this has a direct affect on the battery life, but better safe than sorry.

7. I update alot of my stuff manually because I don't need to know what is going on every second (like facebook... I just hit Update when I get curious about who is doing what lol). I understand that some people may need to have constant updates though, so manual updates may not be the best solution for everyone.

8. I am a light to medium user. I have my fun with it playing games and staying connected to friends. I also like to take alot of pictures for creative purposes (art student). I expect my usage to be a little higher in a few days when college starts. I'll be emailing and looking up info on the go more frequently. My cell signal sucks at college though, so my Evo will be off when I don't need to use it. Verizon cell signal wins at school. FLAWLESS coverage. *sigh*

So far... this is what I can remember. If I come up with anything else, I will post again. I hope some of this information helps. I was worried about battery life when I got my Evo, but I was happily surprised. I am not getting horrid results. It is about the same (dare I say BETTER?) as my Pre. I wish you luck dguidry12!! I hope you can resolve things because the Evo is a wonderful phone. :) I am an Android Newbie as well.

Good luck! <3

hk-usp45

May 16, 2010
Visit site
My suggestion would be to buy battery from eBay for $10. If the drain the same it is rogue app. If you see improvement then unfortunately it is battery.
Also, is the drain the same whenever you are?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

hk-usp45

May 16, 2010
Visit site
If you would have pre+ from Verizon, it would be equal to Evolution in battery time.

hk-usp45

May 16, 2010
Visit site
If you would have pre+ from Verizon, it would be equal to Evolution in battery time.

I get great battery life on my phone. This is what I do with it:

1. GPS off. I dont need it on unless an app needs it or I am lost.

2. WiFi on when needed.

3. Screen set to 1 minute before it sleeps.

4. Display light down a bit.

5. Email checks once a day. (if I need to check repeatedly for something, I just refresh the mail. no biggie. I am used to this already. I see how this may be a problem for people who need email reception to be instantaneous though if it is job-related.)

6. I sign out of apps that may keep me signed in while running, like Photobucket. I don't know if this has a direct affect on the battery life, but better safe than sorry.

7. I update alot of my stuff manually because I don't need to know what is going on every second (like facebook... I just hit Update when I get curious about who is doing what lol). I understand that some people may need to have constant updates though, so manual updates may not be the best solution for everyone.

8. I am a light to medium user. I have my fun with it playing games and staying connected to friends. I also like to take alot of pictures for creative purposes (art student). I expect my usage to be a little higher in a few days when college starts. I'll be emailing and looking up info on the go more frequently. My cell signal sucks at college though, so my Evo will be off when I don't need to use it. Verizon cell signal wins at school. FLAWLESS coverage. *sigh*

So far... this is what I can remember. If I come up with anything else, I will post again. I hope some of this information helps. I was worried about battery life when I got my Evo, but I was happily surprised. I am not getting horrid results. It is about the same (dare I say BETTER?) as my Pre. I wish you luck dguidry12!! I hope you can resolve things because the Evo is a wonderful phone. :) I am an Android Newbie as well.

Good luck!

taniabonita52

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Adding to my list:

I DO NOT use task killers at all. I don't need it. I have heard that sometimes task killers are more of a curse than a blessing.

Kedar

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Oh please. You cannot compare the two.

The Pre's battery was like 4 hours-8 hours.
My Evo's battery is from 8 hours-16+ hours.
That's on 3g in Cola, SC.

taniabonita52

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
Oh please. You cannot compare the two.

The Pre's battery was like 4 hours-8 hours.
My Evo's battery is from 8 hours-16+ hours.
That's on 3g in Cola, SC.

Hello Kedar :)

I got more time out of my Sprint Palm Pre than just 8 hrs, but that is probably because I turned off alot of features I didn't need and set many updates to manual. Many people could argue that I am only using "half a phone" by making all these changes, but if I don't need something on or constantly updating, then why let it make a buffet out of my battery life? lol.

I also don't use live wallpapers a whole lot on the Evo. I make my own. I think they use some battery life as well, so I use them as little as possible. I like the stock Bubbles and Grass ones though. Very cool.

I hope solutions to the battery problems are found! No one wants battery issues to ruin the Evo fun!! :(

Jerzyiroc

May 19, 2010
Visit site
If it's a rougue app, then i've had it from a couple days in. The battery life has always been like this. One other thing I've noticed about the battery is that no matter what I'm doing, at the 15 minute mark the battery loses it's first section of the 10 on the battery.

It's definitely a possibility. A friend of mine was complaining about horrible battery life almost immediately after he got the phone. turned out it was a rogue app mixed with him using ATK. Now he's running the same ROM as me but the real problem was a password app he had that was pulling an R Kelley with his battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress