From Palm Pre to HTC Evo 4G - Messaging Questions

UndeadCircus

Nov 12, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys...

Got a couple quick questions for all of you. I'm jumping from the Palm Pre to the HTC Evo on the Sprint network (just waiting for the phone to arrive in the mail now). On the Pre, whenever you are sending text messages, the messaging shows up in sort of a "chat style" where you don't have to open each message individually, they all appear in-line and you can see all of your message history with that one contact in the same window. Another great feature of the Pre is that if I typed over 160 characters, the phone let me keep typing and just sent the messages in order all on it's own; I wasn't limited to only typing 160 characters per message, I could continue typing as much as I wanted.

My questions are - does the HTC Evo support these same features? The messaging app showing a full history in the same window as well as support for typing more than 160 characters at once and then sending the messages in order?

I realize these are insanely mundane and noobish questions, however I haven't been able to find a single piece of evidence to either of them.

Thanks guys!

zuma

Aug 17, 2010
Visit site
It sounds as if you are referring to threaded messages .. the EVO does that without problem. Plus you do not even need to type your messages. Just speak them and let Googles voice do the typing for you :)

Caitlyn McKenzie

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, pretty much every smart phone will do that.

The only thing it doesn't do is merge SMS with your IM messages, although there's nothing stopping an app from doing so.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Reactions: UndeadCircus

Bigfire

May 13, 2010
Visit site
My recommendation is to get the handcent messaging app. Has all the stock features plus many customization tools. Best feature is the quick reply box. It pops up when u get a txt and let's you quick reply, closing the box when you send!

antianalog

Apr 9, 2010
Visit site
It threads but not like the Pre. One the Pre I could see a threaded message regardless of text, Google Talk, or whatever IM service I sent or received the message through. While the EVO has threaded messaging you are limited to seeing whatever conversation you had by which client was used to send or receive it. IE- My text message history is there, but if I wanted to see my gTalk history I'd have to open up the Talk app.

This is about the only thing I miss from my Pre and I'm a very happy EVO owner, so enjoy.

vel7wil

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Like you I had the Pre (rooted) and missed the ability to change the messaging style...got handcent and problem solved cam set up the messaging just the way I want it.....so it now looks alot like the Pre's just bigger.

mmarcus

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I've been saying it since I got my Evo a couple months ago -- integrated messaging is the one missing feature for my use.

WebOS isn't perfect, but it presents threaded messages on one screen irrelevant if they were via sms or gchat or aim or whatever. In that way it was seamless, you didn't have to juggle between the gchat app and handscent, etc., in order to read/write/review your messages.

IMHO an app that replicated that on android would do very well, as long as it was elegant and minimal in approach. I care less about changing font type for sms messages (a'la handscent) than I do about saving time. Having one messaging app is a huge efficiency that could be translated into a single widget (another efficiency). That would be a killer app for me.

npark

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Like you I had the Pre (rooted) and missed the ability to change the messaging style...got handcent and problem solved cam set up the messaging just the way I want it.....so it now looks alot like the Pre's just bigger.

What do you mean you had the pre rooted? There's nothing to root--the OS is completely open--one just had to entire the atari cheat code and flip a switch.

Root implies working to achieve superuser access which is not given or accessible to users by default. There's nothing to "root" as root/su access is given to users by way of a factory option.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez