Phone gets super slow with 4g enabled

Booshanky

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm sure this has been asked before, but you can't do a search for "4g" and "lag" because the words are too short.

Anyway, anyone figure out what this is? My phone has been doing this ever since the 2.2 upgrade and I just disabled 4g since there wasn't a whole lot of it in LA, but I've been noticing a lot more lately and I'd like to be able to use the 4g that I'm paying that 10 dollar premium for.

Of course, I'd like to be able to do that and actually have my phone be functional too.

Anyone know what's up?

Details for those not in the know.

Enable 4g, and the phone slows to a crawl. Music starts skipping. I've gotta disable 4g, then use advanced task killer to just kill off everything and then it's back to normal.

Thanks

m a x i m u s

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
same here ... i get that "not enough RAM"-esque slowness after turning on 4G, as well as after turning it off until i reboot the whole mofo. sorry, i dont have an answer for you, just chiming in.

Crimson

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I get lag when its searching for 4G and its not available. When its working, it seems fine. But yes, sometimes its necessary to reboot to clear the lag if it won't go away.

Booshanky

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I think I figured it out. You've gotta enable 4G, then force it to update the profile and PRL. I don't think I ever tried that because it takes FOREVER to do. Well, like 10 minutes but I usually just figured it was frozen and killed it before letting it continue.

Anyway, after updating profile and PRL in 4G mode, phone seems to be much snappier on 4G. Normal, actually.

I'm cruizing from Santa Monica to Pasadena right now and I hook my phone up to my car stereo to listen to music so if I start hearing the music skipping then I'll know it's not fixed, but if it works I'll drop back in and letcha know.

-Mark

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
First... what apps are running in your background. I mean in the application manager, not your task killer.

2. You know task killers are not good for the Android system. If you've been using task killer for a while now, consistently, this could be one reason.

What I think is that when you enable 4G there are apps in the background that process the change in network, bogging down the "speed".

Try running a logcat and see what you get. You could send it to me if you're not sure what you're looking for. There might be some clues in there. Other than that... it could be that the 4G signal just isn't strong enough for your phone to pick up. What I've noticed is that once you enable 4G, then disable it, then phone still searches for it in the background. This won't atop until you reboot. I don't know if you've noticed, but when you reboot, does your 4G toggle/widget show that 4G is on, then shuts off?

Hope that info helped...

truslide

Aug 25, 2010
Visit site
I think I figured it out. You've gotta enable 4G, then force it to update the profile and PRL. I don't think I ever tried that because it takes FOREVER to do. Well, like 10 minutes but I usually just figured it was frozen and killed it before letting it continue.

Anyway, after updating profile and PRL in 4G mode, phone seems to be much snappier on 4G. Normal, actually.

I'm cruizing from Santa Monica to Pasadena right now and I hook my phone up to my car stereo to listen to music so if I start hearing the music skipping then I'll know it's not fixed, but if it works I'll drop back in and letcha know.

-Mark

Could definitely be the issue. If Sprint is updating their 4G in LA and you're not updating your phone, there could be a "communication" error between the phones antenna and the WiMax network.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Are you on an original EVO that shipped with 2.1 then upgraded to 2.2?
I am on my original launch day EVO and i had the same 4G bogged down problem. I also tried the updating PRL with limited success only to find a few days later or a week later same problem. No ATK, but running SystemPanel i was able to confirm i had enough memory and my processor was being used a lot.

Solution for me was to back up MMS, SMS, Call Logs and Book Marks. Hard Reset.
I restored the above and installed only the apps i actually use.
That not only fixed my 4G laggy processor problem but also made the device much more responsive. I really think 2.1 had a 4G bug in it and by overlaying 2.2 on top it was hit and miss after that.

Anyway, a hard reset worked for me. Its been about 2 weeks and i use 4G daily, if not every other day and its been fine for me.

majorhunadadun

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I have this same issue daily! Yes you have to update your profile to fix it. I find it updates way faster after a reboot. Sometimes even a battery pull. It's frustrating!

bubbatex

Nov 21, 2009
Visit site
A trick I read somewhere a while back that seems to work for me - when you turn 4G on, turn off Mobile data (3G). I think an update supposedly fixed that problem, but I still think 4G works best when the phone is not trying to connect to two different networks. Since I started doing that, no problems of lag for me.

PookiePrancer

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
The only sure-fire fix for this issue (which I too experience every time I try to use 4g):

1. Turn 4g off.
2. Power phone off.
3. Turn phone on.
4. Keep 4g off and do not use.

Every other solution is just hit-or-miss band aids.

Biffer

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site

-Mark

I agree with this advice. I was complaining of terrible lag using the 4G radio for about a month. I read lots of posts advising to update the profile and PRL, but I had always done so when connected via 3G or WIFI. When I finally got around to updating both while connected via 4G, the problems seemed to have cleared up. I have been using 4G (going into and out of coverage in my car -- the situation that most often created the lag) for the last week, and the lag has not returned. Time will tell, but it seems to have worked.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123dzo